X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Trap Pumping????

Hello again buddies. i have a buddy here in Dallas who wants to get into grease trap pumping. The reason being is that EVERYTIME i jet a restaurant or similar, they ask me if i know anyone who pumps grease traps. There is a HUGE DEMAND for independent grease trap guys here in Dallas. What do you normally charge to pump the grease out? What are the ends and outs of the business?who do you sell the grease to?(this is what i heard).....is there a grease pumping forum that is good on the net?......he is in the process of filling out all the paper work and getting his registration numbers and whatnot....when he knock on door and start advertising he will inform them that after he pumps the grease out, i will jet it!!$$$$$$....he is a hustler so i know this will work for him and me.....so guys any info on this please dont hesitate to teach me so i can teach him.

lonestar.

Re: Grease Trap Pumping????

one of the things i'm looking into is grease trap maintenance. this would entail a weekly (or whatever schedule) inspection of the trap, cleaning as necessary (again dependant on the location), enzyme injector installation and maintenance, and disposal.

basically a one-man-band type of operation. the initial setup shouldn't be that much. no need for a pump truck. a good vacuum should work, containers to hold the grease, disposal permits, etc

the deal is to have a maintenance contract with restaurants. it frees them up from a nasty job and puts money into our ecenomy. i can hire someone (and get EDC benefits) and grow my business.

Lonestar, good luck with the venture if you head that way.

always look for a niche and try to fill it.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I do grease trap cleanings and PMs. Its easy work, messy, but easy. I bring the grease back, store it into 50 gallon drums and call the pumper company to clean them out. It saves me on going to the dumps and dumping. I like it though, its easy money.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I do this as well. I have a 55 gallon drum with a pump mounted to it with a 100 ft. 5/8 hose. At the bottom of the drum I welded a 2" bung and added a 2" ball valve. I have my buddy stop every so often to drain it for me or I meet him some where on a job if I have more than 55 gallons of pumping.

I have a grease kit that I keep in a sealed bucket. It contains all the tools needed to clean out any trap. Scrapers, scoops, gloves and grease cutting chemicals. I will try to post some pics of my set up before the week end.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

thanks for the info......Another question that i have is that my buddy is having trouble finding the landfills here in the Dallas area to dispose of the grease. i will try and "GOOGLE" some specific words and find them for him(he is just now really learning to use the internet )...he is looking into either purchasing a trailor mounted pumper at $48,000 or he can just purchase a Pumper Truck at $66,000 both brand new...what would you advise that he buy??...most of the restautants here that i jet who ask me if i refer anybody out who does grease trap pumping have grease interceptors in the 750-1000 gallon range.....so i told him if he gets the traiolr to make sure that he can pump at least 1000 gallons(what do you guys think?)....do you think he should start small with the trailor and get the truck later OR go ahead and get the pumper truck and get his hustle on!!!!....i saw in the Pumper mag that they have a small protable grease trap pumper that pumps like 60 gallons but is that wise to use that on a 1000 gallon grease interceptor??....HELP ME TEACHERS!!!!

Lonestar.

Comment

That's what I thought. Some of the other responses are not what I see. I think they are referring to cleaning the little 40 gal. grease traps you see in the floor of some places.

My father has had a pump truck for 20+ years. He is typically asked to pump the 1000 gal. tanks that your friend is describing. And in my opinion it is not a fast money deal. Gotta go. Post more later.

J.C.

Comment

Could someone please post a couple of pictures, as i haven't a clue what they look like, i take it they are the ones you mention in Mdonalds?

Comment

yes libby personally ive not had much dealings with them either
                but all they are is a big tank with a few plates in or a basket depending on location

Comment

Hi all,

Am thinking of getting into the business of grease trap cleaning. Am wondering if there is any business magazines I can subscribe to or where I can go to learn all I need about this business? I am already in the business of installing fire suppression systems in restaurants and kitchens, so I thought this is a good side business I can add to what I already do. Have been searching the net, but have not come across to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Texas.

lupec

Comment

Originally posted by lupec View Post
                    Hi all,

Am thinking of getting into the business of grease trap cleaning. Am wondering if there is any business magazines I can subscribe to or where I can go to learn all I need about this business? I am already in the business of installing fire suppression systems in restaurants and kitchens, so I thought this is a good side business I can add to what I already do. Have been searching the net, but have not come across to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in Texas.

lupec
                    Here you go. Good luck.

http://www.pumper.com/

http://www.pumpershow.com/

J.C.

Comment

Try also www.cleaner.com It is a sister publication to the pumper.

I'd look at a used truck. You should be able to find a good deal. www.pumpertrader.com I think is the correct link. If not it's on the pumper site. If you plan on doing the large (750-1000) gallon tanks I'd opt for a 3,000 gallon truck. If you are going to do the small indoor ones a 1,000 gallon truck will do a good route in a day.

Edited to add that alot of folks do hood cleaning as well. This might be a less expensive sideline to get into.
                      Last edited by Trent2; 01-05-2010, 01:41 AM.
                      www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

here are some pics of the last small tap i did.

it never was done since it was put in 12 years agao..

and i only do the stand alone ones.

You must be careful, most counties are different on how to dispose of the FOG. Also most cities and towns ETC. have an ordinance on what can be used. All 3 counties and cities I work do NOT allow the use of chemical degreaser at all and don’t get caught. .

the pictures it took me 3-4 hours, basment rap and a lift station were all full of FOG
                        Attached Files
                        Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                        1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
                          Could someone please post a couple of pictures, as i haven't a clue what they look like, i take it they are the ones you mention in Mdonalds?
                          This is what he is talking about. It is like a septic tank in a way as far as size and what not.

I would go with a truck, now being a business man let me tell you how we got started with the pumping. Bought a used pumper truck for $16,000 it paid for itself in just over a year after all other expenses then saved up for a larger newer model and sold the old truck. I wouldn't get to far in over your head with $1,200 in monthly payments before you even get started for a $66,000 truck.

Comment

I pump a fair bit of grease. I dispose of it the same way that I dispose of septage so disposal is not a problem for me. In some areas it can be a real problem. Some cities insist that they do not want grease of any type. There are two different type of grease traps in my area. The first is nothing more than a septic tank, usually 1,000 gallons that collects the grease and lets the water run into the sewer or drain field. The second is the floor trap that you will find located in the kitchen under a heavy cast lid. these are typically 25-35 gallons. We service both for about the same price. The floor traps take longer and require you to snake a long 2" line into the kitchen to pump the trap. We also take the trap apart and scrape the walls . This takes awhile sometimes. The disposal fee for the floor trap is of course, less. The larger tanks are usually located a short distance from the kitchen and although they cost more for disposal, are generally easier. I don't mind either one. The key to getting the big traps done quickly and doing a good job is the little invention affectionately known as a Crust Buster. Now I am sure there will be people that don't like them for one reason or another, but personally, I won't be without one. They cost about $1500.00 and churn that grease and water into a slurry that is extremely easy to remove. You can google CrustBuster and see a demonstration. They are well worth the money. Tell your friend to buy the truck. There will be many other opportunities for the use of a Vac. Truck. The best tank size for a med. duty truck is 2500 gall. Hope this helps

Comment

Never pumped , but could show you horror stories of interior restaurant grease trp removal/ installations ..Look out for the grease police
                              Attached Files
                              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X