what is jetting used for
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: jetting

jetting was primarily for soft stoppages. such as grease, and mud.

but now that we have better and stronger jetting equipment, along with better nozzles, we can cut roots and de-scale lines.

a nice feature of a jetter is the ability to clean a variety of pipe sizes from a smaller size opening. because we don't depend on blades, there is no need for physical contact of the cutter to the wall of the pipe. the high pressure water jets do the cutting, cleaning and flushing.

a typical 4 gpm at 3000psi will do a good job on breaking up grease, mud and washing it all away on lines to 4''.

even a good cable, sectional or drum will have a difficult time cleaning a line full of grease or mud.

think of a jetter as you would think of a pressure washer on a filthyt vehicle or building.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      you all know i dont do this type of work but i would like to know
      what is jetting used for

Clearing of drain lines..... what makes a jetting different than a power washer is it's pulsating action....... it's like leaving a kitchen faucet on is your power washer.... but if you were to shut it off and on fast..... thats your pulsation..

that pulsation in the drain cleaning field clears drains better.... the technology of combining high pressure along with water is use in many applications from cutting steel, to blasting paint of a ocean liner....

thats just a basic outline if why it's used in drain cleaning....

hoped it helped.

Scott
      Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

thanks
        so your pushing this down the pipe as your spraying
        Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

thanks
          so your pushing this down the pipe as your spraying
          charlie, for the jetter nozzle and hose to go forward/ downstream, the water blast has to spray back towards you.

one issue with this is that all the muck comes back to you. if you have a reverse cleanout, it's always better to jet back upstream. this way the jet wash will flow downstream in the direction of flow.

city manholes are typically cleaned this way. but manholes are designed to only go in a straight path. with normal in house plumbing, going back up stream can be a surprise.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            jetting was primarily for soft stoppages. such as grease, and mud.

but now that we have better and stronger jetting equipment, along with better nozzles, we can cut roots and de-scale lines.

a nice feature of a jetter is the ability to clean a variety of pipe sizes from a smaller size opening. because we don't depend on blades, there is no need for physical contact of the cutter to the wall of the pipe. the high pressure water jets do the cutting, cleaning and flushing.

a typical 4 gpm at 3000psi will do a good job on breaking up grease, mud and washing it all away on lines to 4''.

even a good cable, sectional or drum will have a difficult time cleaning a line full of grease or mud.

think of a jetter as you would think of a pressure washer on a filthyt vehicle or building.

rick.

Another very educational post, thanks, some posts like deserve to be a "sticky"?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              charlie, for the jetter nozzle and hose to go forward/ downstream, the water blast has to spray back towards you.

one issue with this is that all the muck comes back to you. if you have a reverse cleanout, it's always better to jet back upstream. this way the jet wash will flow downstream in the direction of flow.

city manholes are typically cleaned this way. but manholes are designed to only go in a straight path. with normal in house plumbing, going back up stream can be a surprise.

rick.
              You forgot the most important part. . . keep your mouth shut

Perhaps this is why you still haven't learned your lesson
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                You forgot the most important part. . . keep your mouth shut

Perhaps this is why you still haven't learned your lesson
                Ha!, like that will ever happen

You know what I would like to see?

How about some of you guys with cameras and jetters post up a video of the benefits of jetting verses snaking

Show me what the pipe looks like before and after being jetted.

Convince me it's worth the effort and maybe I'll buy into it

Here's a chance to show off and justify your expensive toys

Please, no hour long documentarys. I have a short attention span

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

How about some of you guys with cameras and jetters post up a video of the benefits of jetting verses snaking

bill this is a good idea to have some of the experienced people do a before and after to show the young plumbers and some of us that just want to see how this is done .then josh can make the good ones a sticky

is there any one up to the challenge
                  Charlie

new work pictures 12/09

Comment

bill this is a good idea to have some of the experienced people do a before and after to show the young plumbers and some of us that just want to see how this is done .then josh can make the good ones a sticky

is there any one up to the challenge
                    Great!, another challenge

Who here is Sticky worthy?

Comment

It`s not that jetting is better then cabling, it`s that some times a jetter is the right tool and some times the cable it the right tool. Access is the key to jetting as you really need to back jet most of the time. (going up the line not down the line)

I have made Videos while jetting showing the power of the jetter clearing water out of a 100` 4" PVC main that was installed with back grade. New line that some one was reading the wrong side of the level
                      We ran the camera right along the jetter head showing how the jetter would suck all the water out of the line. I don't have a copy as the attorneys took all the copy's. Some plumber is gonna get his butt in a ringer.

But anyway, It`s all a matter of what job you have to what is the best tool.
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

well said all clear,know how can only get you so far,its the right arsenal of tools that completes and compliments the marriage.

Comment

How effective is jetting when the line is stopped up and full of water?

A little less?...a lot less?

Comment

How effective is jetting when the line is stopped up and full of water?

A little less?...a lot less?
                            a lot messier, until you blow through the stoppage.

unless you have a reverse c/o to run upstream.

the jetter will add anywhere from a few gallons per minute to 20 gallons per minute into the already full pipe. if the water that leaks out doesn't create a mess or hazard, then it will eventually cut through the stoppage and get it running.
                            otherwise i would snake first, then jet.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

yep
                              what Rick said
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X