Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Months Or 1 Year Warranty??

Ok, so I arrive at your house, run a cable to clear up the line,

then the camera, then the 4 x 6 expandable cutter, then the camera and so on until the sewer is root free. maybe a little strings left, but not many, 98%-100% clean.

then, treat it with Rootx.

now, would you give the customer a 1 year or a 6 month warranty???

all this being done at an additional cost of course. Yes, a jetter would be perfect, but I do not have one yet, so a cable is all I have.
    sigpic

Robert

Re: To Warranty or Not To Warranty

30 days and I'll tell you why:

If that line is subjected to heavy usage as soon as you leave, it could clog back up non-related to root intrusion.

Too many variables; I installed a toilet yesterday that I have to pull back up because the waste in the line hardened up from it's last use because it was leaking at the base.

Element of surprise to me and thank goodness I didn't grout the base yet.

A fluke situation for whatever reason and people will "assume" it was your lack of performance which it truly wasn't; it's just another aging piping system that you personally have no control of what gets shot down that pipe.

I don't even give a warranty on drain cleaning. I've never had a customer call me within days or weeks of a cleaning to tell me it was reclogging.

It usually takes months and when I tell them when I'm there, I fully disclose what I think was the culprit or what I pulled back....hard or soft obstruction or misaligned pipe. That's a CYA strategy that implies it can happen again at no fault of my own.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: 6 Months Or 1 Year Warranty??

Well this would be a root related stoppage only, not an abuse stoppage.

Fairly easy to prove with my camera.

I agree with the stoppage warranties, it is an excuse to have your line snaked every 30 days.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        Well this would be a root related stoppage only, not an abuse stoppage.

Fairly easy to prove with my camera.

I agree with the stoppage warranties, it is an excuse to have your line snaked every 30 days.

Yeah I guess I didn't exactly answer your question properly. I guess 6 or 12 months would be fine.....unless you have mop hair root systems like they do here in KY...?

They grow back fast, lightning fast at times and between all the sections or cracks.

I'm a big talker of RootX and I believe it works great......but, it attacks existing root system growth.....I don't see how it stops entirely new growth from occurring.

Those drain lines are constantly shifting underground which can create new points of entry is why I state that.

It sounds though that you are very thorough on your cleaning. I use a spear on the first pass if it is a soft obstruction and always clean with a root cutting half knife for everything else.

The full swath is 4" so I'm thinking I'm getting a good cutting, especially when I set the return on the drum machine for sloooooooooooow and I'm pounding down twinkies sitting on my stool making phone calls.

Ahh Praise Drum
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I offer a 6 month warranty on roots with the purchase of a root package.
          root cutting $75-150.00 some times more.
          camera inspection $150.00
          jetting if needed $50-100.00
          root eater $90.00
          total $365-$490.00+
          most people wont pay for it but, I have sold a few warranties but there are some people who want a warranty for piece of mind and will pay for it.
          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
          1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
            I offer a 6 month warranty on roots with the purchase of a root package.
            root cutting $75-150.00 some times more.
            camera inspection $150.00
            jetting if needed $50-100.00
            root eater $90.00
            total $365-$490.00+
            most people wont pay for it but, I have sold a few warranties but there are some people who want a warranty for piece of mind and will pay for it.
            Thats a great idea. Some people would love to have that option and its a nice upsell for you.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

oh also the warranty only covers me coming out and redoing the job.
              I will camera the clog if its roots it free in not its a new bill
              Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

At the moment, I am like Dunbar...no warranties on stoppages. Too many unknown variables. I can't control what people put in their drains, so I don't guarantee it won't clog again in any given time.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

yes it is, most will not buy the service. in fact I only tell the costumer if they ask for a longer warranty
                  Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                  1-920-284-7471

Comment

I told you how i would do it.

Snaking, video and Root X is a great service that many wont provide, or standby on. Of course if your water jetting with a Warthog and have the camera in at the same time, you know your getting 100% of roots out. Your even getting in the joints that you cant see with the camera.

Use what you feel is best. I personally would give 1 yr on the water jetting, 6 mos on the cabling. You may see that you got 100% of the roots out with a cable, but you cant see if you got them out of the joints either. Root X backs their product up for a year, not the sewer line.

Either way you do it, just remember, your giving them a better service then the next or other company would give, and your worth the money and the warranties you give. If you feel a year warranty is good on a cable job, then so be it. I know your the type of guy that would honor the warranty if it backed up before the year. Good luck with what you decide.
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

One year for a root X for ROOT stoppages. Thirty days for all others. It is just selling piece of mind that is covered by my original selling price.

Comment

Here in Dallas i charge $85-$100 to cable the line from a clean-out....the Root-X will cost them an additional $250-$350 BECAUSE of the one year warranty!!!...if i am gonna warranty anything for ONE YEAR they are gonna pay. now i may camera the line for free after cabling to help SELL the Root-X or a spot repair or total line replacement....the customer ususlly likes that i give them OPTIONS on what they can do. They usually go for the root-x because of the one year warranty BUT if you see any pre-collasping pipe or major off-sets or pipe deteriation i wont give them a warranty but if they still wanna buy the root-x i will sell it to them. Now say the pipe backs up 11 months and 20 days later, if the stoppage isnt caused by ROOTS i let them know there will be a charge....and again if it back up because of roots this means that they will get their ONE FREEBIE but they now know that it is time to talk about camera,locating and repairing the line the CORRECT way...but all in all they still appreciate that i gave them OPTIONS!!.....i think i should be in the Root-X hall of fame cause i sell the hell outta the stuff and it DOES WORK!!..i dont even bother the root-x people of it backs up within a year because i know allready that it wont be because of roots.

Lonestar

Comment

Can someone please tell how you apply the root-x ?

Does it only kill the roots it comes in contact with ? and not the whole tree?

Can you also mention the main ingredient, incase i can't get it over here.

Thanks.

Comment

Rootx and a warranty are kinda tough because even if I tell them not to use the drains for 24hrs for a good rootx setup, someone else comes home and uses the drain and starts washing it away, even the person I tell forgets. Just like when you have the drains apart and tell them not to use the WC they do right when you are working and you just told them not to 10 min. ago.
                            As to the original question since it sounds like a great cable job was run on it I would think a 6 month root warranty would work based on the roots I am used to in the Pacific Northwest.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Thank you guy's, I appreciate all the feedback......keep it coming.

I want to provide an excellent service to my customer, but in doing so, I do not want to destroy my company.

I just have find a happy medium, where everyone is happy and comfortable and they recieved quality service.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X