wots the most unusuall thing uve retrived out of a drain / manhole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wots the most unusuall thing uve retrived out of a drain / manhole

Had a good one yesterday; initial pm jetting first time in this line for me. 4" and 5" iron for condo complex from crawlspace. Never felt anything, but after last pass had a look in the horizontal from the cleanout with my light just to see how much debris i'd piled up pulling back. Had a big object in there, pulled it out and it turned out to be a 3' leader of about 1 1/4" open wind cable with a 4 blade point on the end.... odd; it's bulged to a bigger diam at front and rear...looks like it was made that way.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

This reminds me....

I've broke a cable in the past 2 or 3 years and left it in the drain. I remember it being 1/4" open hook and I remember I got the drain was open and free flowing.....but for the life of me I don't remember where it occurred.

I knew it was a bad situation but I didn't even attempt to tell the customer or myself that I need to get it out.

Damn I feel like I'm on oprah tellin' my sins.

Talk about repressed memory.......****!

I didn't remember this until I read above with someone pulling out another's cables.

Chalk that up to the plumber's sin box because I couldn't even begin to tell you where and when that happened...all I know is that I came back to the shop that day with a shorter cable with no broken pieces in the back.

I'm sure I'll be the big dummy that rods that drain and gets my cable wrapped up in the old one. As you all know, you never forget a real hard drain job but I try to keep them out of my head as well.
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        Had a good one yesterday; initial pm jetting first time in this line for me. 4" and 5" iron for condo complex from crawlspace. Never felt anything, but after last pass had a look in the horizontal from the cleanout with my light just to see how much debris i'd piled up pulling back. Had a big object in there, pulled it out and it turned out to be a 3' leader of about 1 1/4" open wind cable with a 4 blade point on the end.... odd; it's bulged to a bigger diam at front and rear...looks like it was made that way.
        sounds like you pulled back a general front leader from a drum machine. can you post a picture?

was it complete or broken off?

the general will have a screw holding the cutter onto the front of the cable.

the sectional will be a continuous length of 1.25'' and not a taper.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

it wasn't me, but my buddy steve had a plumber pull back a lot of telephone and alarm wire. he was snaking from under the hose and there was a disconnected line at some point.

all i know is the customer didn't have a phone to call the shop at that point.

the wire mess is sitting in his shop in his "museum" of oddities.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Man.. I am sick. I laughed out loud when I read about the cat. Reading back through it I can't quite figure out why.

Originally posted by ChrisConnor View Post
            I've pulled out broken cables, twenty feet of broken 1 1/4" cable with a dead cat stuck to the auger (at the county dog pound), a large bull frog!, thirty feet of plastic wrap, a bunch of beer cans that were dropped down the vent by the drunk roofers, A squirrel in a toilet and a squirrel in a sewer.

Comment

Working...
            X