What's a good day's work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's a good day's work?

hard question we try to schedule 9-1 and 1-5 but any one call can turn into a monster or theres that broken water main that always comes in at the worst time and its an account and of course an apartment building, and you have to move customers around which can be a delicate process if i lose it my competition will grab it, and everyone likes the homeowner that sets up an appointment for one thing then hits you with a list when you get there, sometimes making money sure aint easy. i dont know how our dispatchers do it, but i sure wouldnt want there job, and sure as h#ll cant do it with out them. unsung heroes.
    Last edited by aero1; 04-02-2008, 06:53 AM.

Comment

i hate it with a passion when someone calls for a ballcock and then busts out the 10 item list.

There have been a few ocassions where i have fixed the initial problem and ask when they would like to schedule the rest of the work

Comment

I had one today!

Started at 8am at the local movie theater. I rodded with the 300 and then the 100. Pumped and cleaned the grease trap, repiped the ice machine drain, added new ProClean urinal cakes to all the urinals, video inspected the building drain only to find it needed to be jetted. Went and picked up the jetter at my shop which I could see from the theater parking lot. Jetted the line and reinspected making a video for the owner. I got to use nearly all the new toys.

Finished up around 3:30pm and got my second call for the day. Drove 15 minutes to an apartment complex with a greasie 2 inch drain from the kitchen. Pulled out the new elec. jet and let'er rip. It was a tough blockage of solid grease. Lady says she always pour left over oil down the drain...shes never had a problem before!?!?!? Got it cleared and squeaky clean.

Pulled in the driveway at 6:30pm and got some time in with the kid before he went to bed.

Anyway, that makes a great day for me.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
          I had one today!

Started at 8am at the local movie theater. I rodded with the 300 and then the 100. Pumped and cleaned the grease trap, repiped the ice machine drain, added new ProClean urinal cakes to all the urinals, video inspected the building drain only to find it needed to be jetted. Went and picked up the jetter at my shop which I could see from the theater parking lot. Jetted the line and reinspected making a video for the owner. I got to use nearly all the new toys.

Finished up around 3:30pm and got my second call for the day. Drove 15 minutes to an apartment complex with a greasie 2 inch drain from the kitchen. Pulled out the new elec. jet and let'er rip. It was a tough blockage of solid grease. Lady says she always pour left over oil down the drain...shes never had a problem before!?!?!? Got it cleared and squeaky clean.

Pulled in the driveway at 6:30pm and got some time in with the kid before he went to bed.

Anyway, that makes a great day for me.
          She actually admitted pouring grease down the drain? Thats rare.
          I just did one yesterday. Jetted for an hour and 1/2. 60' from septic to house packed right full of grease. Resident says " well how does all that get in there? we are ALWAYS very careful"
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

When I worked for the last company, I averaged 10 calls a day. Looking back, I think that's too much and would be happy with 3-4 calls a day.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              When I worked for the last company, I averaged 10 calls a day. Looking back, I think that's too much and would be happy with 3-4 calls a day.
              I couldn't humanly imagine doing that alone, at least not without some kinda dispatch to handle the calls.
              I'd have to guess that maybe every 3rd or 4th job winds up adding more onto the job after I get there, I don't care how many times I've asked "Are there any other items you may want me to look at before we schedule?"...that 3rd to 4th one always hits me.
              Then I'm on the phone trying to move the rest of my day up.

Rombo hit the nail above, on busy days I simply schedule a new appointment.
              I hate that feeling at 5pm when there are two more jobs and it's starting to get dark as I try to look at house numbers.

Comment

This thread is awesome. I like hearing how each of us operates our shedules...we all are a little different, but we have new things to learn form eachother. Great forum overall!
                I am seriously decided to start blocking off call 'windows' and schedule people in the blocks to help me manage my time, like drain medic does. only sinced I am one who prefers to get as much on each call as possible. I LOVE when they break out the huge list...Cha-ching! That means I can stay and make real money without wasting time and gas on the road all day!!!
                So I will probably start with only 3 windows of time for scheduling. 9a-12p/ 12p-3p/ 3p-6p / After 6 pm for emergencies only.
                If a call runs late, I usually stay and finish, but if its going to take all day, I will usually reschedule for a near future date.
                Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

8-10 calls a day, everyday? I just don't know how you guys do this. My average is 3-4 calls a day (8-9 hrs.) and I am always by myself. I must be in a bubble.

We schedule by the job, as most of our service jobs are scheduled with exception to drain cleaning and emergencies.
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I was only working part time so I would work 14-16 hours on sat and sun and spend the rest of the week taking a break. I could do about 3 calls on fri when I started at 4pm.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      So I will probably start with only 3 windows of time for scheduling. 9a-12p/ 12p-3p/ 3p-6p / After 6 pm for emergencies only.
                      If a call runs late, I usually stay and finish, but if its going to take all day, I will usually reschedule for a near future date.

most of my calls are less than 2 hours and plenty are 1 or less.

what will you do with all that lost time?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

It's all over the map for me... anywhere from nothing if I'm caught up to all day and all night. I only do drain cleaning and a clog is tough to schedule, so I'm a slave to the phone. I typically put out the first few fires, then check my book and see what pm's are due that I am near and try to slip them in before the phone rings again. I'll never tell a customer I can't do it, but I may tell them it'll be very late by the time I can get there. I've done $2K in a day, I've done $0.

A good day would be no snow, a decent temp, some sun, no equipment breakdowns, 3-5 nice straightforward jobs with good access and the calls spaced nicely, get a pm or 2 knocked out, and one interesting/difficult one to make me think, preferably following someone else who failed so I can feel like a star and cement a new customer.
                        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Anywhere from 5-8 a day sometimes 10 driveways which I love; puts it out there that people think I have a fleet of trucks, not just one.

Sometimes I'll have 3 calls in one subdivision, striking within the same hour on two of them. << This is where I'll bill before sitting out in the truck writing the bill, only if I've done work for them before. I have people that owe me from december that I haven't even sent a bill which is horrible. But, I like being owed thousands because they are like small little bank accounts I can pull from when I need it in a pinch.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            most of my calls are less than 2 hours and plenty are 1 or less.

what will you do with all that lost time?

rick.
                            My average call takes longer as discussed earlier. I encourage extra work 'while I'm there'. If I finish way too early, I can always try to squeze another one in, or usually I'll call the next cutomer and aks if I can com early, usually its no problem. I have a big territiory....even 5-6 calls/day is way too much windshield time. I don't understand you guys who do 6+ calls/day, and likely you guys can't understand me and other s who do only 3-4 day.

But I'll tell you this...my average call is over $300! So 3/calls day on average = $900/day! I doubt you guys who do 8 calls/day are averaging $300 per call....unless you charge 300/hour.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

i use to do 6-10 calls a day when i started out in 1995 charging $40 for 2inch and $50 for 3-4 inch drains!!...all i had was a Spartan 300 Spartan 100 a plunger, a toilet auger, and a ladder and a old used Asrto van!!!.....Now i have all the toys..Trailor Jetter,Mini-Jetter,Camera,Locator,(Same 2 Spartan machines!!), and i average 3-4 callas a day,BUT i have probally TRIPPLED my daily income and i am less tired and have alot of "in-between time" for whatever.....out of those 3-4 calls a day i am not including maintance contracts just new calls....3-4 calls a day is good for me now and doesnt allow me to get burned out..i am concentrating now more on SERVICE and not VOLUME like i used to, not saying that anything is wrong with it but i am a One Man Band and kinda like it.....

LoneStar

Comment

I have schedule blocks which work great for me

8-10, 10-12, 12-2, 2-4, 3-5, works great for my customers and myself.
                                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                                X