Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good day's work?

This might get interesting...
    How many service calls in a single day do you wish to run to consider them being "a good day's work"? Is it 2, 3, 4 calls or more?
    Pete
    Drain Biz
    Articles, Videos, Industry News

Re: What's a good day's work?

4-6 is a good day
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

For me and my plumbing service business 3 calls on average is ideal.

Of course somedays they are all very easy, and I can do 5 calls. Other days I might only do one big one. I am on the quality service side of the spectrum, I prefer to take my time with customers and get as much as possible out of each call rather than "wham, bham its fixed, bye!"- type of service.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

8 is a good number but I either get more or less...lol. Cant ever get it to where it`s just one an hour.
        If it`s a slow day I get lazy and dont want any calls but they always seem to come in when I get set on being lazy.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

We always scheduled 8 calls a day per guy unless it was something out of the ordinary.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            If it`s a slow day I get lazy and dont want any calls but they always seem to come in when I get set on being lazy.

ain't that the truth

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

yep just like today, Got every call done yesterday and thought today would be a nice easy day. Now no calls and then the phone rings "I have a sink I want you to install but you will have to remove the old one" I say ok I can do that. "Well you will also have to figure how to get all the old stuff off the new sink and replace it as I bought this one as a yard sale"
              Now I`m thinking OMG......

See ya later, Gotta go see what I got my self in to now.

And it was starting off to be a nice lazy day....errrrrrrrrrrrr
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

my work is a combination of emergency service and scheduled work.

i try to line up the work to keep from driving back and forth.

depending on the type of job, and it's location to others, i will do anywhere from 1 to 7 jobs in a day.

of course if they were all simple and next door to each other and i can bill out later, the number goes way up.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I try to keep time slots occupied. 8-10 10-12 12-2 2-4 4-6

after the 4-6 slot i keep open for emergency service.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post

You Have 5 slots there and 8-6 would be considered 1 slot.
                    Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post

I like that 2 hour slot system...I might use that one! Its good.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

4-6 is a decent day depends on what the job is though. this time of year we are notoriously slow (spring break) i wish we could get 4 calls a day
                        Mike
                        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

5 plumbing jobs a day for me and a jetting job to top it off would be a perfect day

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            For me and my plumbing service business 3 calls on average is ideal.

Of course somedays they are all very easy, and I can do 5 calls. Other days I might only do one big one. I am on the quality service side of the spectrum, I prefer to take my time with customers and get as much as possible out of each call rather than "wham, bham its fixed, bye!"- type of service.
                            Same here, SG

What's with you people?
                            5-8 calls a day? Are we talking an 8 hour workday or 12?

If you are doing that many calls you must be spending half your day on the road.

I like to linger a while. Get to know the customer. Find out the history of the problem. Discuss options. Develop a strategy to solve their plumbing issues. Prep the work area. Gather tools and materials. Perform the work. Clean up. Write an invoice. Review the repair with the customer. Plant a seed for future work. Get paid.

Oh look, it's 2:30... time to go home

Comment

I'm blessed.
                              Each day, exactly 4 calls come in and they're all next to eachother.
                              Each immediately wants me there for the price I ask...none of the jobs ever run over on time.

yup, it could happen.

Reality, I couldn't even begin to say I get any regular number of calls.
                              Last week I didn't get back to everyone that called, this week I might take up a hobby crocheting.
                              I finally had almost a full weekend off this week.
                              The two weekends before that I worked saturdays, and sunday the weekend before that (in a panicked frenzy cause the housing crunch is gonna be the end of the world, despite almost doubling last years numbers for Feb & March)

I chatted with a friend from this forum today...joked about how we get so worked up when work slows down that we forget to enjoy the time off.

PC...you kiil me ...great point, but some area's may not have the same traffic we do, or maybe there are other variables like travel area, but I say 3 is a good number as well.

Now if someone could pullleeease tell me how in creation I'm s'posed to control that number to a regular flow, I'll be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X