X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC/ABS Clogs

General question. What percentage of drain clogs do you encounter are PVC/ABS?

J.C.

Re: PVC/ABS Clogs

about 15%
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
      about 15%

10-15%

and when they do clog, it's typically because of poor installation/ flat or abuse with the kitchen sink.

the great thing with plastic is when you clean it or jet it, it's pretty much like new. can't say that about cast, gal, or even copper dwv.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

15% sounds about right and there usually easy

Comment

Interesting. Sounds like if the majority of the old were replaced the drain cleaning business would decline dramatically. Be hard to make ends meet.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            10-15%

and when they do clog, it's typically because of poor installation/ flat or abuse with the kitchen sink.

the great thing with plastic is when you clean it or jet it, it's pretty much like new. can't say that about cast, gal, or even copper dwv.

rick.
            Your absolutely right. I love getting clogs in PVC...specially kitchen sinks
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Interesting. Sounds like if the majority of the old were replaced the drain cleaning business would decline dramatically. Be hard to make ends meet.

Not really, cause usually when you see PVC, its the hacks or handyman that installed it. So its either sagged, backpitched, or just flat out installed wrong. I love seeing pvc clogs, cause i know its going to be an easy clean

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                Not really, cause usually when you see PVC, its the hacks or handyman that installed it. So its either sagged, backpitched, or just flat out installed wrong. I love seeing pvc clogs, cause i know its going to be an easy clean
                Not really? I've seen the hack work also. But 3 pros just stated 10%-15%. That means if the non PVC/ABS were replaced then we would lose 85%-90% of current drain cleaning business. Right? I know there is TONS of the old but I was just thinking in theory about the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  Not really? I've seen the hack work also. But 3 pros just stated 10%-15%. That means if the non PVC/ABS were replaced then we would lose 85%-90% of current drain cleaning business. Right? I know there is TONS of the old but I was just thinking in theory about the future.

Sure, possibly in the future. But ya really, either way your going to get clogs. If everything was PVC, and the average person thinks that pipe is superpipe, whats going to happen then. lumbdog:

Biggest problems i see with PVC main lines are sagging, not strapped correctly or at all. The other is breakages at the foundation walls.

Either way you have it, your going to get blockages. But, if in 100yrs from now everything is PVC, im good with that

Comment

about 5%
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I guess it depends on your service area as we were closer to 50%.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

about 20%......here they are building these houses so fast that i guess they not turning the plastic pipe 1/4 turn to spread the solvent cement..here i get alot of off-sets when unstopping pvc.......its usually an easy unstop and mostly you can do a spot reair very easily also..

Comment

Originally posted by lonestardrain View Post
                          about 20%......here they are building these houses so fast that i guess they not turning the plastic pipe 1/4 turn to spread the solvent cement..here i get alot of off-sets when unstopping pvc.......its usually an easy unstop and mostly you can do a spot reair very easily also..
                          I didn't quite understand this. Could you explain a little better please.

Comment

In my town, 99% of the buildings have ABS drains. I think I can count on one hand the number of drains I snaked that were cast iron or galvanized. Also, there are only a handful of buildings left out here that were built before 1970.

Comment

There will always be a job when you will go to a place where nobody else will go if you know what I mean
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X