Calculating your Hourly Rate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating your Hourly Rate

Whether you charge by a flat rate, upfront pricing, menu pricing or by the hour, there is one fundamental truth. That is: everything launches from you hourly rate, job costs and desired profit.

In my experience, I’ve seen plenty of ways to calculate that hourly rate.

Here’s my question: What is the FORMULA you used to calculate YOUR break-even hourly rate before adjusting for profit? What your rate is doesn’t matter – How did you get there?
    Last edited by Pete M; 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM.
    Pete
    Drain Biz
    Articles, Videos, Industry News

Re: Calculating your Hourly Rate

I figured what I want to work per hour, then benefits, then a fair profit. My family and I lived comfortably from my hourly wage when I worked for someone. I knew what my old company charged for hourly, flat, parts etc.

Ask me a year from now if it worked...

Comment

Its a super-complex top-secret formula. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

It`s by how much I take to the bank every friday "vs" how much I took out all week to get there
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

best advice your going to get out of us is TALK TO YOUR ACCOUNTANT, ps you didn't hear this from me.

Comment

Understanding your expenses/profit versus hourly rate always seems to be one of the arguments for going flat-rate. The truth of the matter is whether you are T&M or flat-rate you need to understand what your cost of sales are and what profit you are looking for. I spent my first year in business (1981) with spread sheets tracking all of my costs against all of my income. After the first year, I made adjustments as needed but I never went off of a set formula.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I used Numbers Cruncher. It figures in the profit automatically. Then I ignored it and charged what I thought I could get away with. Frankly, if I charged what I need to run a successful business, I wouldn't have a business at all.

But as to the flat rate thing - it's working. I had some resistance on a job this morning (namely, "I'm not going to pay $300 to have three faucets repaired. I'll just call another plumber!"), and the wife's cooler head prevailed and I did the job anyway.

Comment

count the mercs in the garage and if more than one double it

Comment

Originally posted by deanorod View Post
                  count the mercs in the garage and if more than one double it
                  That is discrimination. I never do that kind of thing, but I know some who do.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

To many variables...there are entire books on this alone. Check one out

Comment

I have this dark board on my office wall and it has all these numbers on it with dollar signs.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                      X