X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting your business started

[quote=Pete M;134111 "Plumbing" is too broad. The fact is that being a master plumber leaves out a lot of the know-how required in the real world.

I dont understand your point. Examples please.

Maybe there should be a list of sub-specialty licenses at the journeyman level and when one has them ALL "mastered", then and only then should the title of "Master" be granted.[/quote]

I believe thats what a masters test does. At least it does here.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      I believe thats what a masters test does. At least it does here.
      Here's a few example of where I think a Master Plumber should be fairly knowledgable beyond blueprint reading, and the other stuff they currently test for. We all know masters that are great on some areas and clueless in others. Yet, they're the one's that are usually in charge by law.
      • Trenching and OSHA Safety
      • Confined Space Entry
      • Trenchless (CIP, Slip-lining and Pipe Bursting)
      • Plumbing Diagnostics
      • Pumps and Grinder stations
      • Boilers, Hotwater systems, Solar and Geothermal
      • Drain Cleaning technicques and equipment
      • Gas piping installation (now you need a Mechanical license in many states)
      • Wells Systems and Potable water purification and disinfection
      All I'm saying is that these should be seperate certifications that a prospective master get's tested on either prior to or as part of the Master Licensing ritual.

I also think that just as there is Basic Contractor Law on most MP exams, there should be a requirement for a one-day eight-hour class on business basics. They do that in Virginia.

A requirement for ongoing education should also be standardized nationally.

The actual test varies wildly from one state to the next as do the codes. This should all be standardized so if you move to another state you can keep your license and your competency is recognized nationally. Licensing reciprocity between states would be a good thing. Right now, it's not possible. Those are my immediate thoughts.
      Last edited by Pete M; 04-05-2008, 10:46 PM.
      Pete
      Drain Biz
      Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

Here's a few:
        • Confined Space Entry
        • Plumbing Diagnostics
        • Wells and Water purification
        I also think that just as there is Basic Contractor Law on most MP exams, there should be a requirement for a one-day eight-hour class on business basics. They do that in Virginia.

I agree with:

OSHA safety- Connecticut goes into that briefly on their master.
        Gas piping- NY and CT both test knowledge on gas for a master

I disagree with:

Pumps and grinders- Whats to know about it? All the info you need is in the code book or the instructions.

Boilers, solar and geo-thermal
        There are many master plumbers I know that CHOOSE not to work on boilers
        Solar doesnt work well around here. And why should I have to know geo-thermal?

Drain cleaning techniques and equiptment
        Techniques are taught on the job as well as learning the different types of equiptment. What if a master like myself CHOOSES not to be a poo-poo chaser? I did it when I was a journeyman for many years, but as a boss I dont want to do that for a living, I give it to my drain guy.

Wells and purification:

We have VERY FEW wells around here and plumbers dont install them anyway. Whats so hard about installing a well tank? It sounds like you are trying to make a big deal about pumps, well tanks, and drain cleaning.
        Last edited by Masterplumb; 04-05-2008, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          Here's a few:
          • Confined Space Entry
          • Plumbing Diagnostics
          • Wells and Water purification

I agree with:

OSHA safety- Connecticut goes into that briefly on their master.
          Gas piping- NY and CT both test knowledge on gas for a master

I disagree with:

Pumps and grinders- Whats to know about it? All the info you need is in the code book or the instructions.

Boilers, solar and geo-thermal
          There are many master plumbers I know that CHOOSE not to work on boilers
          Solar doesnt work well around here. And why should I have to know geo-thermal?

Drain cleaning techniques and equiptment
          Techniques are taught on the job as well as learning the different types of equiptment. What if a master like myself CHOOSES not to be a poo-poo chaser? I did it when I was a journeyman for many years, but as a boss I dont want to do that for a living, I give it to my drain guy.

Wells and purification:

We have VERY FEW wells around here and plumbers dont install them anyway. Whats so hard about installing a well tank? It sounds like you are trying to make a big deal about pumps, well tanks, and drain cleaning.
          What you CHOOSE to work on is up to you. All I'm saying is that if a Master License is required within a plumbing company then shouldn't that master have demonstrated some level of competence in all of the types of work his company is likely to encounter? Masters are supposed to be in charge and RESPONSIBLE for what happens in the field, As it stands, a license is no assurance in many areas and if it stays frozen in time it becomes less and less relevant to a rapidly changing industry.
          Last edited by Pete M; 04-05-2008, 11:22 PM.
          Pete
          Drain Biz

Comment

[quote=Pete M;134173]What you CHOOSE to work on is up to you. All I'm saying is that if a Master License is required within a plumbing company then shouldn't that master have demonstrated some level of competence in all of the types of work his company is likely to encounter? Masters are supposed to be in charge and RESPONSIBLE for what happens in the field

Yes absolutely. It's impossible to cover everything in one test though. In all reality a paper test doesnt prove anything except that you have the ability to read. The test should be done hands on in field situations, but thats not reality.

You cant deny me a license because I dont have knowledge in well pumps or geo-thermal either.

Comment

[quote=Masterplumb;134175]
              Originally posted by Pete M View Post
              What you CHOOSE to work on is up to you. All I'm saying is that if a Master License is required within a plumbing company then shouldn't that master have demonstrated some level of competence in all of the types of work his company is likely to encounter? Masters are supposed to be in charge and RESPONSIBLE for what happens in the field

Yes absolutely. It's impossible to cover everything in one test though. In all reality a paper test doesnt prove anything except that you have the ability to read. The test should be done hands on in field situations, but thats not reality.

You cant deny me a license because I dont have knowledge in well pumps or geo-thermal either.
              OK, I think we're on the same page.
              Pete
              Drain Biz

Comment

Working...
              X