Getting your business started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting your business started

Im sure most of you guy worked for a service company. I want to get out on my own. I don't have a plumbing license and really don't want one. My line of work is DRains, I can do them in my sleep. I have lots of bills and the wife and kids so a little reluctant. just got to get the machines, invoices from staples. Can I get bonded without a license, and how did most of you guys get started.
    Last edited by drain doctor; 04-05-2008, 09:25 AM. Reason: miss information

Re: Getting your business started

do yourself a favor. don't quit a paying steady job until you have your own license, insurance, and customers.

what good is going in business without all the tools (license, insurance, customers, equipment) and have no income?

while you're making some money now, you can go to school at night to study to pass at least your journeyman's test. you can start saving for some decent equipment and you can also start to market yourself so that your phone might ring when you make the big step.

don't know if 6 months is enough or a couple of years is better to get your stuff together. take your time and do it right.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by drain doctor View Post
      I have lots of invoices with names and addresses. just got to get the machines, invoices from staples. Can I get bonded without a license, and how did most of you guys get started.
      Do you mean you have your company's old invoices with their customers names and addresses? Are you looking to steal his customers? Thats not starting off on the right foot.

Comment

I got my journeymans card

then 6 months later, got my contractors license and was fired 7 days after, had 2 customers, a work van, purchased 2 weeks before, a mortgage for my house, bought the house 4 months prior, new truck payment, purchased 6 months before........

the wife supported me and although scary, and still scary at times, I am doing well.

get your licenses, insurance, and tools, machines before you start.

if you aren't prepared, you will fail. you get a call to camera a sewer, and you don't have a camera, you will loose the call and the customer

I was always purchasing tools, for years before I went on my own, any extra money went to cameras, threader, drain cleaning tools, specialty tools etc.

good luck.
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

Im sure most of you guy worked for a service company. I want to get out on my own. I don't have a plumbing license and really don't want one. My line of work is DRains, I can do them in my sleep. I have lots of bills and the wife and kids so a little reluctant. I have lots of invoices with names and addresses. just got to get the machines, invoices from staples. Can I get bonded without a license, and how did most of you guys get started.

I started on my own 2 yrs ago. I have worked for 2 cos in a 11yr span before that. I couldnt wait to get on my own, but there is so much to consider. While i didnt have a plumbing license, i did get my contractors licenses where i needed them. I would sub out any plumbing work i would get and give out repair jobs. Best thing i did was get in with my plumber. I have no desire to do plumbing, but at least im not turning down the plumbing work anymore. I doubled my business. Now i can finish my plumbing under my plumber to get my masters. I wish i wouldve done it years ago. I dont think using your compaines names and addresses that you have is a good idea. For 1 you want to establish yourself as an honest and dependable company. You will find that trying to steal customers off your company is only going to hurt you. My biggest regret was not getting my masters before going on my own. I was just lucky enough to find a great plumber and good guy to go into business with.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

for some reason this just doesn't sound right...hummmmmmmmm ???????
            What`s your bosses phone number?
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I plan on flyer the area with the addresses I have. I think I will get my contractors license before I start. I'll have to get a plumber too. Replaceing main lines are to costly to pass up.

Comment

It is nice to see all the "money the owner makes", we all thought it at one time or another, well, I look at my profit and loss reports ona weekly basis, alot goes out that you would have no idea goes out.

it isn't all big money.

insurance is a big thing, although you may never have had anything bad happen, you need to protect your customers.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Drain cleaning IS plumbing.

Try and get as many tools as you can....USED! Good Luck!

Comment

Well I pay about 800 a year for van insurence 500,000 policy. I should be able to get it down to about 500 for a lesser policy, but how much is insurence for your business. Allstate handles all my insurence, do they handle insurence for a business?

Comment

Im sure most of you guy worked for a service company. I want to get out on my own. I don't have a plumbing license and really don't want one. My line of work is DRains, I can do them in my sleep. I have lots of bills and the wife and kids so a little reluctant. I have lots of invoices with names and addresses. just got to get the machines, invoices from staples. Can I get bonded without a license, and how did most of you guys get started.

Son.... I would never discourage anyone from trying to better his career. But, you say have bills, a wife and kids that depend in you.

Being in business is a whole new skillset beyond the trade. Too many guys jump in too fast and get hurt because they were unprepared.

So, here's a little tuff love.

What makes you think you're qualified to run a business in a tough economy when you're not even sure on how to start it?

You'd better do your homework before doing something you might regret. Remember who's depending on you. I'm not putting you down, just trying to make you a little wiser.
                      Pete
                      Drain Biz
                      Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

" Lots of Invoices with names and address " I hope there yours and not the property of someone else....

Like Pete said do your homework... I have seen many fail...

Good luck...
                        Never give up on your dreams..

dreams are what make us forge ahead.

Comment

count your blessings you have a job now. alot of people dont. right now my phone rings almost as much for laid off plumbers looking for work as it does customers looking for plumbing. your cutting your business in 1/2 if you dont get your plumbing license. dont kid yourself saying you dont want it is the easy way out. just like quiting your job with a wife and kids to feed. stick with the company your with, get your journeymans, do side jobs at night, with the equipment you buy. than in a year tell your boss you need to go. but you would love to stay on good terms with him and like to reffer work to him when your to busy
                          Mike
                          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post

Drain cleaning IS plumbing.

Try and get as many tools as you can....USED! Good Luck!
                            Drain cleaning is NOT considered plumbing here. You dont need a license to clean drains. But as soon as you touch or alter the plumbing system you need to be a licensed plumber. So the way I see it is drain cleaning is not plumbing. That also doesnt mean that a drain cleaner cant be a plumber!

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                              Drain cleaning is NOT considered plumbing here. You dont need a license to clean drains. But as soon as you touch or alter the plumbing system you need to be a licensed plumber. So the way I see it is drain cleaning is not plumbing. That also doesnt mean that a drain cleaner cant be a plumber!
                              I think it's time for the licensing laws be updated to reflect the changes in the industry. It's way overdue. "Plumbing" is too broad. The fact is that being a master plumber leaves out a lot of the know-how required in the real world.

Maybe there should be a list of sub-specialty licenses at the journeyman level and when one has them ALL "mastered", then and only then should the title of "Master" be granted.
                              Pete
                              Drain Biz
                              Articles, Videos, Industry News

Comment

Working...
                              X