X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter head selection-how to

What's the right way to select a jetter head for a jetter? Tell stoneage that your jetter specs are 5gpm at 3000 psi OR attach a pressure gauge at the end of your jetter hose along with a bucket test so stoneage can build you a jetter head according to actual gpm and psi. Is this step important and do jetter companies actually build a jetter head according to your specs you tell them or do they just grab one from the shelf that's close enough.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Jetter head selection-how to

Rick will be home within the hour
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Be nice to Rick, he didn't convince me to buy a jetter. "Why is Ben asking about jetters, did you tell him to buy a jetter?! Now Felicia is going to be mad when you call."

I'm just curious, I don't have a jetter.....yet.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In my experience, a supplier can request to have a nozzle jetted or drilled to proper specs for your jetter.

On the Warthog for example, it is a simple change of the nozzle orifice to obtain the proper flow. If you are dealing with someone who knows nothing about pressures and flows they WILL grab what ever is on the shelf that threads onto your jet hose.

Another resource that most people do not think of is the pump manufacturer to go to for advise on these types of questions. Who better to know what the pump is capable of than them.

I have sat through the pump school at Giant Pump Company in Teledo, Ohio and it was a huge help! I learned a lot about pressures and flows as well as how to size nozzles and pumps for certain applications.
        www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
          In my experience, a supplier can request to have a nozzle jetted or drilled to proper specs for your jetter.
          But what's the right way to find the specs of your jetter?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If you don't know the specs of the jetter you can; 1) call the manufacturer of the jetter itself, 2) call the manufacturer of the pump and give them a model # and the type of motor driving it.

That's what I would do for starters. You could also post a pic here for some of us to try and help identify it.
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              What's the right way to select a jetter head for a jetter? Tell stoneage that your jetter specs are 5gpm at 3000 psi OR attach a pressure gauge at the end of your jetter hose along with a bucket test so stoneage can build you a jetter head according to actual gpm and psi. Is this step important and do jetter companies actually build a jetter head according to your specs you tell them or do they just grab one from the shelf that's close enough.
              ben, the jetter pump is designed for a maximum psi at a specified rpm. the variables you have are the size of the hose(i.d./ length).

the pressure gage is typically installed close to the pump head/ unloader.

a realistic test for flow and psi can be done pretty easily.

with your selected hoses/ 1/4'', 3/8'', 1/2'' and total Length,50',100', 200', ect. attach a high pressure tee with a high pressure valve at the end of the selected hose. install the high pressure gage on the tee and the valve at the end of the tee. a short section of hose at the outlet of the valve will help direct the water into a bucket/ trash can to capture the water.

prior to the test, warm up the engine and get it up to proper operating temperature.

attach the tee/ valve assembly at the end of the selected hose and open the valve all the way to allow for full flow, little back pressure. read the gage on the pump and compare it to the gage on the hose. this will be your back pressure. now throttle down the valve to create the maximum pressure you can achieve at the tee. compare the readings. you might need to adjust the unloader/ regulator to raise the pressure. as the pressure increases the rpm will start to drop on the engine. keep the pump and engine at or below the recommended range. on a direct drive, you can figure the engine rpm. on a belt drive, you need to know the pulley ratio.

once you have all the numbers maxed out to a safe recommended level, you can then capture the water and measure the flow in a minute.

with these accurate numbers/ psi and gpm, you can then have the real specs at the nozzle end of the jetter.
              a pressure washer nozzle is easy to look up the flow based on the readings. a jetter nozzle with multiple orifices is more difficult to figure as you need to add all the jets together. give the specs to the manufacturer of the nozzle and let them figure out the proper nozzle.

remember a small jetter will not have the gpm of a bigger machine. gpm is more important than psi. also the front forward jet will take away from your pulling ability and the angle of the rear jets will also determine the pull and the cleaning abilities.

the larger machines will have plenty of flow to play with. the smaller machines need to be dialed in better to achieve good results.

ben, too many inquires can only get me in trouble with your wife.

i have a feeling i'll be hanging out with your son at the amusement park

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                Be nice to Rick, he didn't convince me to buy a jetter. "Why is Ben asking about jetters, did you tell him to buy a jetter?! Now Felicia is going to be mad when you call."

I'm just curious, I don't have a jetter.....yet.
                See, you know the routine
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i have a feeling i'll be hanging out with your son at the amusement park

rick.

Now why doesnt that suprise me, Rick in the Tilt a Whirl betting Bens son that his car spins faster then Bens son
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                    Now why doesnt that suprise me, Rick in the Tilt a Whirl betting Bens son that his car spins faster then Bens son
                    LOL. That's my hubby. But I understand the last laugh is on me since I married him
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                      actually, i would bet him on who blows first.

i don't do spinning rides

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        actually, i would bet him on who blows first.

i don't do spinning rides

rick.
                        You would lose in a heartbeat.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                        X