X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

my friend has a clogged floor drain, the main line is open. I do not have cabling experience. Im a new construction plumber. the run to the floor drain off the main line is short. I do have a 6ft. closet auger. If i had the right equip. how far would you run a cable into the building main, or is the auger sufficient as long as i run a hose down the floor drain to flush it.

Re: need advice

If the line is short enough, the auger might clear it. But more likely you'll need a cable machine.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

j.s. you have a real advantage of being a construction plumber. you have the know how of the plumbing system, more so than most drain guys.

sometimes drain cleaning is more of a thought process than a physical process. if you know the layout and know how it's put in, you'll be able to pick the proper tool and location to clean the line efficiency.

cleaning a 2'' floor drain and trap is typically not going to clean a 4'' main at that time. i would fill the drain with water and snake until you see progress. at that point work the cable and then continue with the water to help clean and clear. make sure to work the area and continue to the main.

i've cleared many floor drains with a 6' closet auger.

but a k-60 or k-50 with 5/8'' cable and a bulb auger is the trick.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Or a K-7500 will do the job right not just doing a trick
        Right Rick

Sorry, I saw the K-60 thing again...rotflmao
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

the floor drain is 3", I dont know if that changes any thing or not.

Comment

If the main is open , but the floor drain is clogged, there could be a clog in the trap of the F/D or in the line right before the tie in to the main. Like Rick said fill it up with water and snake it from there. You may even want to try a plunger on the trap since its 3in.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by J.S. View Post
              the floor drain is 3", I don't know if that changes any thing or not.

since it's a 3'' trap, then you can use the 7/8'' sectional cable with the k-60.

although most floor drains/ floor sinks, i come across are 2'', the 5/8'' sectional is the way to go. the 7/8'' is next to impossible to get through a 2'' trap. even more difficult to get it back out.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                Or a K-7500 will do the job right not just doing a trick
                Right Rick

Sorry, I saw the K-60 thing again...rotflmao
                since most floor drains are 2'', please show me how a 7500 will clear a 2'' trap. the roundup will be a good place to put it up to the challenge. i'll even let you cable down to the 5/8'' which you don't use

3'' yes, 2''.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

I'd start with a shop vac first. Since it's a floor drain then chances are it's just a lot of sand/dirt, nails, nuts/bolts. Vac as much of the trap as you can. That alone may be enough to open the drain but if you still need to snake it at least your limiting the amount of debris your flushing into the main.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Rick
                    Most 2" floor drains have a C/O in the side of the bowl and it`s a straight shot from there so
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      Rick
                      Most 2" floor drains have a C/O in the side of the bowl and it`s a straight shot from there so
                      Im talking about the floor drain in the basement of a house. At least in st. louis county they have to be a min. of 3"

Comment

Like Ben said, i think, try a shop vac at least
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

..my Spartan 100 with the 13/32 cable has cleared HUNDREDS of floor drains. I dont see how a 5/8 cable can get through a 2inch trap.....i gueass if its 3 inches(which i have never seen) then it probally can with a ball-bearing spring leader.
                          Last edited by lonestardrain; 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                            Like Ben said, i think, try a shop vac at least
                            Gene said, not me.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Greg,
                              That new avatar of yours is too much
                              If thats the new style bidet then I guess it's time for me to try one out
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X