X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on cabling clay laterals

before I venture into the drain cleaning side of plumbing, could someone please tell me about how big the risks are of going through the old clay laterals, and hitting tree roots and also if im going to cable inside the house and they have old cast iron, how easily do they crumble (not the stacks but under ground) Im guessing at the base of stack? Am i lyable if during for instance, while cabling through clog the clay pipe is damaged at point of clog (maybe thats why it was clogged? Sorry for so many questions I just want to be sure I know what im getting into. Im new to this site and i just want to say this is very informative, its like being in plumbing school all over again
    Last edited by J.S.; 04-10-2008, 12:04 AM.

Re: question on cabling clay laterals

j.s. of the thousands of drains i've cabled/ jetted over the 33 years i've owned snakes. i can only remember getting stuck 3 times, that i couldn't get out of.

the area drains are the ones to watch out for.

once you get a real feel for the equipment, you'll know your limits.

keep in mind, a small cable will torque much easier than a large cable. but a large cable that you over torque can be very dangerous.

a sectional machine has the advantage of replacing only the bad section. also the clutch on a sectional is much better than trying to stop a rotating drum with a heavy flywheel/ cable.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

If your cabling a clay line and you get stuck, chances are your getting stuck in a bad joint, or a ball of roots. If your just getting started in the drain cleaning side, you already of an advantage because your a licensed plumber as well. Do you have video inspection equipment???

Your advantage over just the drain guys is that you can fix the problem right afterwards if you do get stuck. In my mind, just like Orangeburg pipe, all Terra cotta pipe that has root growth should be replaced, or at least maintaned with preventive maint. The main problems i see with Cast is scalling and or grease buildup. My preferrance is jetting on those types of problems.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

J.S. I find it strange that you are a plumber and never cleaned a drain before?

How long have you been plumbing?

edit as I read your profile

12 years and never cleaned drains "WOW" Lucky you as that was my first job when I started plumbing and look where I am now ....rotflmao
        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-10-2008, 01:46 PM.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          J.S. I find it strange that you are a plumber and never cleaned a drain before?

How long have you been plumbing?

edit as I read your profile

12 years and never cleaned drains "WOW" Lucky you as that was my first job when I started plumbing and look where I am now ....rotflmao
          Almost all of my experience is in new residencial, maybe 2 years commercial. Housing was going crazy up until about 2 or 3 yrs. ago.

Comment

I offer a school for a price on "Pro Drain Cleaning"
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by J.S. View Post
              before I venture into the drain cleaning side of plumbing, could someone please tell me about how big the risks are of going through the old clay laterals, and hitting tree roots and also if im going to cable inside the house and they have old cast iron, how easily do they crumble (not the stacks but under ground) Im guessing at the base of stack? Am i lyable if during for instance, while cabling through clog the clay pipe is damaged at point of clog (maybe thats why it was clogged? Sorry for so many questions I just want to be sure I know what im getting into. Im new to this site and i just want to say this is very informative, its like being in plumbing school all over again
              What`s the problem with plumbers today not feeling confident about taking on new tasks.
              I have been clearing blocked clay and cast iron sewerage pipes for thirty years with KM and K-1500 sectional sewer machines and like Rick have only been really stuck a couple of times and for being liable for damaging the pipes you are clearing well it is alreading damaged by the tree roots or what ever has block it in the first place and the owner will be up for the expence of any renewals or repair so I wouldn`t worry about that, so get out there get your sewer machine and get on with it you will never look back.

Tony

Comment

Tony, I have just ordered the k-60. I just looked up an old plumbing school classmate that does a lot of cable work. So im going to ride with him till i get the feel of this.

Comment

Originally posted by J.S. View Post
                  Tony, I have just ordered the k-60. I just looked up an old plumbing school classmate that does a lot of cable work. So im going to ride with him till i get the feel of this.
                  you're already off to a great start

you're hooked on the forum, just like all the real pro new members have

you bought the right tool that will expand your services.

now my question is, what snake does your classmate buddy use.

i hope it's a sectional, so he can give you some first hand knowledge.

be very cautious with your k-60. your buddy might fall in love with it and not give it back

please also read some of the tips and tricks we have posted on the k-60.

there is a learning curve with any new task and machine. you need to get the feel of drain cleaning and the feel of a sectional.

please keep us posted as it will be interesting to follow your new venture

also post any questions so we can give you some tips and tricks.

did you order it with both the 5/8'' and 7/8'' cable?

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X