X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cast iron cleaning

customer called me today, im going out tomorrow to camera the line. but heres the background from what he told me. commercial union hall with 4 water closets and 4 urinals 2 toilets dont flush well and the urinals dont work he wants me to camera the line and do whats needed to clean it. what would you use to clean it? i have a k7500
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: cast iron cleaning

I use a heavy duty root saw on cast, being careful not to force it in too hard. If I had a jetter with some nuts I'd rather use that.

If the fixtures are older I'd rest your arms tonight because you may be doing a lot of auguring. Could also be old/dirty valves not allowing water in fast enough.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

This would be sweet if you have a small jetter. It even works on electric jets. You will notice that it says you can add flaling chains for descaling:

http://www.spartantool.com/machinevi...tters&model=34

I have seen this in action on an electric jet in a commercial building and it works awesome! Cleans the pipe like you would not believe with the chain kit.

I will get one once I have a bit more demand for descaling.

It costs $465.00 but tell your local Spartan rep. you want a discount.

If no jetter is available, I agree with Gene. You could also try a tri-blade set up too.
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

build a chain knocker.
        I am the K-7500 master, right Rick
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

thanks guys i dont have a jetter yet. hopefully soon how do you build a chain knocker?
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            build a chain knocker.
            I am the K-7500 master, right Rick
            the chain knocker typically requires a decent rpm to keep the chain flailing. 200 rpm on a 7500 is slow.

move up to a faster sectional machine and the knocker will knock

seeing that ridgid doesn't offer a chain knocker for the 7500 tells you something.

yes you are the 7500 master, but that's because i got smart and retired my 750's and 7500's for the more user friendly k-60

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Urinals will be built up with minerals from the pee, and probably have gum and toothpicks and candy wrappers and such in the traps as well. I jet urinal lines, soak cast in urinal traps in muriatic acid, replace or clean the removable, under-the-urinal traps. Snaking will work on the lines also, not as well. You need as big a cutter as you can get in to scrape the walls of the pipe. Flushing with water as you snake will help too. Most of the mineral buildup will be within 5-10' of the fixture.

The two toilets will either be two clogged toilets, or one clog in a common line above where they join the rest of the system. If the others work nicely, I doubt the main line needs a whole lot, but your camera will tell you. If it did need cleaning, I would jet this as well, but since that is not an option for you, flushing the line with a lot of water as you snake will help to carry out what you knock loose.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                the chain knocker typically requires a decent rpm to keep the chain flailing. 200 rpm on a 7500 is slow.

move up to a faster sectional machine and the knocker will knock

seeing that ridgid doesn't offer a chain knocker for the 7500 tells you something.

yes you are the 7500 master, but that's because i got smart and retired my 750's and 7500's for the more user friendly k-60

rick.
                I wonder how many RPM this is spinning right now?
                Oh and that sure don't look like it`s made for OPEN WOUND CABLE either

Comment

MARCO/ POLO/ MARCO/ POLO

still not a ridgid factory option for the 7500.

it takes speed to keep the chains flailing. the marco model uses spring cables to keep theirs open.

looks very clean. have you even tried this yet

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Yep

A forum member sent it to me a few weeks a go
                    I used it on the K-7500

Comment

i checked out the union hall today. camera'd the main line it looked o.k. the flush valves on the w.c. needed some fine tuning and they opted for me to replace both urinals and valves and snake the urinal lines. i love giving bids to customers that are spending someone elses money
                      Mike

Comment

Is this a homemade thing?
                        Looks like it would work pretty good.
                        How are the ends of the smaller cable attached?
                        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

gene, don't get too excited over this tool

like i said it's made for the "marco autoroder ll" or the 3/4'' cable on a marco machine, lt90 or pf80

this is a model a-10 expansion chain thrasher designed for 8''-12'' pipe. or the smaller lt90 or pf80 model #316 3''-8'' $159.50 june of 1994.

the part #is code 7770 and listed for $154.15 back in june of 1994.

rick.
                          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-12-2008, 12:59 PM.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

yea like Rick said, dont get to excited over this tool it`s not made for a K-60

Comment

I like the concept of the smaller cable pushing/brushing on the wall of the pipe. If the cable is fairly flexible I'd think it would be more forgiving/gentle
                              then an expanding cutter.
                              I had an expanding cutter break apart in a main and I vowed to never use one again. With that said, I saw a newer, better design at the pumper show and have one on order. They are a great tool to have when needed but they are not very forgiving (or designed for) in a clay lateral.
                              I get a lot of 3" c/o's for 4" laterals so that limits what I can use for a head and would prefer not to use an expanding cutter in clay.
                              Like I said, I like the concept of that head. Not for use as a knocker but tweaked out to provide more of a brushing action.

$154 in '94? It must go for $300 now

Comment

Working...
                              X