Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootx-uses

Guys
    Just a quick question on Rootx now that is available in Australia has any one used down it a trap.
    I have watched rootx on how to video but was wondering if real plumbers use it a different way as they only recommend toilet or clean outs.
    Traps in Australia have a water seal stopping gases coming out and are approx from 3ft to 6ft down in ground.They are also called ORG (overflow relief gullies) so when sewer backs up from main it doesnt come in to house.
    Any suggestions as I think I am one of the first to use in my town.
    BTW keep up the discussions as I am a avid reader of the K60 vs 1500 also the forum is my second most visited site after MLB.com.
    Regards
    Greg

Re: Rootx-uses

greg, that would be the k-60 vs. k-7500

root-x down a trap can work if first plunge/ pump out the trap dry.

if you attempt to pour it into standing water, you will get foamed

mix up the 2 powders into 1. drop it into the trap dry. then seal the top of the pipe with a test plug and then flush the toilet 1 or 2 times depending on the amount of root-x you have installed.

2# = 50' of 4'' pipe.

1kg = 16 meters of 100mm pipe

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Duh
      As you can see Rick I am new at the game .You knew what I meant keep up the good work.
      Regards
      Greg

Comment

rootx is a pretty good product, although I have noticed that the product does not flow down the line very well on long runs.

Comment

Hi Greg

I have heard a lot about RootX but where do you buy it do plumbing suppliers sell it.

Tony

Comment

www.seca.com.au in sydney are australias only supplier.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
              www.seca.com.au in sydney are australias only supplier.
              Cheers
              Thanks Greg

Tony

Comment

Greg,

We've discussed these traps/orgs before re cameraing thru them. I would like to see a diagram showing distances to main and house, access points, shape of the trap, etc. for a typical installation. As I envision what you describe I don't see how they prevent a backup into house from the main, so I must be missing something.

My experiences with rootx are good, but here I don't have your traps. I've found it advisable to keep a plunger close by when applying rootx through a toilet just in case I put too much in at once. Also I once put a 4lb jug in the toilet flange as I had the stool off anyway, then set it and flushed and got a geyser. You might have to experiment a bit to get a method that works for you... do it; I've found rootx to be a good product.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i've always used a plunger into a somewhat dry toilet and plunged it down as it foamed. maybe just 1# at a time. 4# is ruff at 1 time into a toilet. a c/o is best for 4#.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                    Greg,

We've discussed these traps/orgs before re cameraing thru them. I would like to see a diagram showing distances to main and house, access points, shape of the trap, etc. for a typical installation. As I envision what you describe I don't see how they prevent a backup into house from the main, so I must be missing something.

My experiences with rootx are good, but here I don't have your traps. I've found it advisable to keep a plunger close by when applying rootx through a toilet just in case I put too much in at once. Also I once put a 4lb jug in the toilet flange as I had the stool off anyway, then set it and flushed and got a geyser. You might have to experiment a bit to get a method that works for you... do it; I've found rootx to be a good product.
                    Yes you do have traps just look into any toilet pan and you will see water at the bottom of it which stops the smell from the sewerage pipe entering your house this is called a trap in Aus either an S trap where the sewer pipe connection is through the floor or a P trap where the sewerage connection is through the wall and is 4" (100mm)

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      Greg,

Overflow Releif Gully provides an open ended branch through which sewer can overflow in case of a blockage.
                      A typical installation has an ORG as the only fixture on the most downstream branch off the house lateral(I think thats your term for it).
                      Any blockage downstream of this branch will overflow at the gully, the top of which is miminum of 150mm or 6 inch below the finished floor height in the house.

I know a picture speaks a thousand words, i'll work on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X