older homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• older homes

live in phoenix,az i have noticed that the older homes don't seem to have clean outs or i just don't see them, so my question would be did they not make them standard then and the only way of unclogging them would be roof access?

Re: older homes

Lots of them here w/o cleanouts. I generally pull a toilet.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

So lets say for instance two toilets are backed up no clean outs what do you then?

Comment

Go on the roof.

Many times there is a cleanout but it gets covered with landscape material. Look along the base of the building and you'll often see one. Also line up the fixtures and figure out where the main would be and use a tile probe to hopefully find the cleanout.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by loudog39 View Post
          So lets say for instance two toilets are backed up no clean outs what do you then?
          empty both and pull the closest to the septic tank. that's what i'd do and do here on a regular basis.

BTW, mostly septic tanks here. C/Os are not always available or locatable.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

If you have back to back toilets, you will need to go on the roof anyway because the 2 lines will meet in the middle and you will jump the Tee and pop up in the other toilet. Going from the roof is a straight shot down the stack. Or you could suck out the water, put a camera in the line and push your cable to the Tee, buts that could be alot of work if you dont do it on a regular basis.
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

cool,great advice guys

Comment

the roof is fine, but nowadays, the vent is typically only 2'' and not 4'' like the old days.

a jetter has the advantage since it will clean a 4'' pipe from a 2'' opening. plus there is little to drag to the roof other than a hose and foot valve. keep in mind that a jetter will flood out a house if it is stopped up and you run from the roof.

next is a k-60 sectional with an auger end that you bend to a 45. this will allow it to expand to 4'' pipe once you get it down the 2'' vent.

the k-60 is light in weight and perfect for a roof job.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                  empty both and pull the closest to the septic tank. that's what i'd do and do here on a regular basis.

BTW, mostly septic tanks here. C/Os are not always available or locatable.

steve
                  yep, or expose the tank and work up from there

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  If you have back to back toilets, you will need to go on the roof anyway because the 2 lines will meet in the middle and you will jump the Tee and pop up in the other toilet. Going from the roof is a straight shot down the stack. Or you could suck out the water, put a camera in the line and push your cable to the Tee, buts that could be alot of work if you dont do it on a regular basis.
                  I hate roofs... and sometimes the vent takes a roundabout path. I've used the second method with sucess when I just can't hit the drop, and on really difficult ones in smaller lines, say double vanity sinks that meet in the middle, if I've fought it for a while I will give up and camera in one side to the drop, then put my cable or hose in from the other.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

old house here 1935. had no cleanout.
                    we have new septic tank , with a drain field, installed last fall, field is 60 feet long by 10 feet wide. when we hooked it up to the outging pipe from the house I installed a cleanout,

now I know you guys are proud of me
                    §m€llŸ™

Comment

Yes and so are the home owners,and your pocketbook.The chances are good,if it's not your own home,you might be back in a few years to locate it.(after it has been covered up or paved over.) Kenneth
                      Kenneth Collier
                      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                      Jackson, MS 39206
                      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X