removing scale in cast iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing scale in cast iron

What are some of you using to remove heavy scale from cast iron?

I have nearly a 1000 feet of 4 inch cast that is scaled up bad. I have to access the lines through 4 inch clean outs so I can't fit the Warthog in. It would be overkill anyway.

I am considering purchasing a 3/8 root rat but I thought I would run it by you all to see what ideas you have for this. The work is being done in a senior center and replacing the pipe is out of the question at this point.

Just so you know, it is extremely thick in some areas and we have already removed 6 five gallon buckets of scale from the newer part of the building that has the least amount of build up in it. The pipe seems to be in good shape aside from the scale. Any help would be great!
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: removing scale in cast iron

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17049
    What's the single furthest run and what size line is it? Have you thought about a 3/8" warthog or a chain knocker?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i have had good luck with a chain knocker 1-1/4 inch cable and my k1500.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17049
        What's the single furthest run and what size line is it? Have you thought about a 3/8" warthog or a chain knocker?
        I remember the thread that you pasted above. I guess i was thinking that since i have a jetter i should utilize it in this situation. I have looked into the Spartan 34 descaler and was told that it would not work off of the 30 gpm jet that i have even with the 3/8 lateral line i have.

The longest length is 100 ft, 4 inch.

I know little about chain knockers. Will this be the answer? Where do I find one for my Spartan 1065?

I have considered the 3/8 Warthog, but thought that flailing chains would be more effective. Like I said before, I did use a 3/4 rotating nozzle at 3000 psi and it still did nothing to the thick scale.

If that did'nt do it than I don't want to waste my money on the Spartan descaler. This is build up like I have never seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
          What are some of you using to remove heavy scale from cast iron?

I have nearly a 1000 feet of 4 inch cast that is scaled up bad. I have to access the lines through 4 inch clean outs so I can't fit the Warthog in. It would be overkill anyway.

I am considering purchasing a 3/8 root rat but I thought I would run it by you all to see what ideas you have for this. The work is being done in a senior center and replacing the pipe is out of the question at this point.

Just so you know, it is extremely thick in some areas and we have already removed 6 five gallon buckets of scale from the newer part of the building that has the least amount of build up in it. The pipe seems to be in good shape aside from the scale. Any help would be great!
          Why wouldnt a Warthog fit thru a 4in cleanout??? What size do you have??
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Please post pics of this, sounds interesting.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If the 3/8 Warthog cant go through a 4inch line, it may need to be replaced...did you camera it?...it may be more than scale and just collapsing

Comment

Here is the 3/4 Warthog that I have. You can also see the nozzle kit that I used to flush the lighter debris after descaling with the rotating nozzle on the right side of the kit shown.

I did camera the line. It is not collapsed any where in the system.

Comment

the warthog is 100 times better than your other smaller rotating nozzle. that one rotates so quick that it really looses most of it's impact on the pipe.

i would think a chain knocker or root rat style head would be your best bet.

of course a reverse c/o is a much better way to flush out the debris. otherwise you're pulling it back to you. also 30 gpm is going to blow all sorts of toilets with that much flow.

i would probably look into a reverse c/o and a chain knocker on a 1.25'' cable first. 30 gpm is a lot for 4''.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                    Here is the 3/4 Warthog that I have. You can also see the nozzle kit that I used to flush the lighter debris after descaling with the rotating nozzle on the right side of the kit shown.

I did camera the line. It is not collapsed any where in the system.
                    Sorry, I should been more specific, pictures of the scale build up from the see snake, job pics
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I always want to jet, cable if I must. If you decide to cable, run a lot of water as you do to wash what you knock loose down and out.

You've got a bigger Warthog; they make one for 3/8" hose that will fit, about $700 the last time I bought one... it is a great nozzle for 3" and 4" and is worth having. You will do best if you can work up the lines from below and pull the scale down.
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X