X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sewer line gunk

If I was closer to you and not so busy I'd fix you right up! The thing I don't like about these companies apparent practices is they sell things that don't fix things. If you call a recommended plumber/drain cleaner they want to clean the line-finished and done. These companies seem to want to do one thing that doesn't work, charge you, do something else, charge you, then if that doesn't work start over. Just my opinion.
    In NC you could probably get the line replaced for a grand depending on the site. Then your done for the longterm. You might get the Orangeburg really clear to end up having the same problem a year from now. I'd yank it.

J.C.

Comment

sorry it took me a couple days to report back... i ran into other stuff to keep me tied up for a while.

the GM from mr rooter called me wed & because he admittedly hadn't really explained the limitations of the drain snake, offered to provide the jetting that was normally $527 for $487 & subtract the $227 i had already paid, leaving a balance of $260.

i felt that was going to be my best solution at this point so i took it.

BTW... when i asked about the less expensive jetter, he said basically what someone said in an earlier post, that it would be a waste of time in the 4" pipe.

only thing that concerned me was that they came before i got home & were putting things away when i got there.

i asked if he had used the camera again after jetting & he said "yep, clean as a whistle".
      something about his response left me sceptical about if he really used the camera or not, but he assured me they did a thurow job.

hopefully after seeing the results of using the drains for greasy foods & learning to put that stuff else where, i wont have problems w/ it for quite some time.

i just want to thank you guys again... very much so.
      you helped to inform me & know the best way to address the situation & it is greatly appreciated.
      ... tim

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        If I was closer to you and not so busy I'd fix you right up! The thing I don't like about these companies apparent practices is they sell things that don't fix things. If you call a recommended plumber/drain cleaner they want to clean the line-finished and done. These companies seem to want to do one thing that doesn't work, charge you, do something else, charge you, then if that doesn't work start over. Just my opinion.
        In NC you could probably get the line replaced for a grand depending on the site. Then your done for the longterm. You might get the Orangeburg really clear to end up having the same problem a year from now. I'd yank it.

J.C.
        thanks JC. if i run into more problems w/ the same pipe, i think i'll run another pipe myself.
        the main things i believe will be the trenching & cutting & tying into the old cast iron pipe that comes down from the toilet, but i can rent a ditch which (or someone to do it) & i have a reciprocating saw.
        and i used the blades made for cutting cast iron once before on that saw. worked pretty good.

thanks. ..tim

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
          The way i would do your drain line is dig up the inlet to the septic tank and run the cable with at least a 3" cutter blade, back toward the house while running water inside,

or if you want run the jetter from the septic tank also you don't have to worry about flooding the inside the house
          Thats what I would have done too!!!!
          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-19-2008, 01:50 AM.
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

OK... I'm putting this on a thread that's not far from two years old, but since I started this thread talking about the same thing, I thought this would be the best place.

After the Mr Router guys jetted the drain from the house (basement),to the septic tank (about 40') in April 08, the toilet has flushed fine sometimes but pretty sluggish others.

Recently, it started getting worse again, & at times, overflowing.
            I have herd gurgling sounds at times, coming from the tub beside the toilet when I flushed, but recently the sounds have become much more noticeable, along w/ the over flowing at times.

Extra info... This two person house has one bathroom, & only the tub & toilet go into the septic line.
            The kitchen sink & bathroom sink, as well as the washing machine, drain into a pipe in the basement floor that goes underground to the lower end of the yard.

I did a little research online & read several times that the gurgling sounds indicated a stoppage in the vent pipe. So I went on the roof & ran a 25' drain snake down, & apparently past were the vent pipe goes into the main, vertical, cast iron pipe.
            There seamed to be no obstruction.

I made 4 short video clips of the toilet flushing & put them on my public web album.
            The first flush was after it had not been flushed in a while & did fairly well.
            The second did not flush completely & as it refilled, the waterline came up a little higher than the normal waterline.
            The third flush was going to overflow, but I cut the water off & dipped water out into the tub.
            The tub, which usually drains fine, appeared to not be draining. It did drain after about 30 minutes & you could hear the gulp, gulp sounds in the forth video after the water went finally disappeared.

The first day this started happening again (6 days ago) I took the cement cap of the septic tank & to see that it wasn't full.
            It had more than I think it should have, but it was about 4" below the drain pipe coming from the house, so I know that wasn't the sourse of the back up.

I'm a single guy. My aging mom lives w/ me at my home, & we struggle to get by, so I'm helping you guys can help me figure this out w/o having to hire a plumber
            Here are the 4 videos. Thanks for your time. ...Tim

http://picasaweb.google.com/slowhike/PlumbingIssues#

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
              Missed it by a few months.

J.C.
              Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-17-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Let's see 1st orangeburg
                then near full septic
                then grease
                Probably near clogged outlet screen
                Probably grease filled drain field pipe
                Possible leach field problem
                Sorry to say but you got 2 more years out of it but thats good.
                Time to have a small company pro in your area look at the whole picture to see what you really need.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                  Let's see 1st orangeburg
                  then near full septic
                  then grease
                  Probably near clogged outlet screen
                  Probably grease filled drain field pipe
                  Possible leach field problem
                  Sorry to say but you got 2 more years out of it but thats good.
                  Time to have a small company pro in your area look at the whole picture to see what you really need.
                  A couple notes...
                  The kitchen sink has not been run into the septic line for many years now, so grease should not be an issue. And I've told mom a number of times, not to put anything but waste & toilet paper in the toilet, so I don't think anything extra has been getting flushed.

A new leach field was put in about around the mid 90s. They put in 150' & supposedly even used something like forced air that "explodes" the ground, loosening up the soil to aid drainage.
                  They were going to install only 100' of tail line, but the county inspector said the ground didn't perk well & made them put in 150'.

They are working on getting sewer in our community, but it's going to be a while.

Were is the outlet screen you mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by slowhike View Post
                    A couple notes...
                    The kitchen sink has not been run into the septic line for many years now, so grease should not be an issue. And I've told mom a number of times, not to put anything but waste & toilet paper in the toilet, so I don't think anything extra has been getting flushed.

A new leach field was put in about around the mid 90s. They put in 150' & supposedly even used something like forced air that "explodes" the ground, loosening up the soil to aid drainage.
                    They were going to install only 100' of tail line, but the county inspector said the ground didn't perk well & made them put in 150'.

They are working on getting sewer in our community, but it's going to be a while.

Were is the outlet screen you mentioned?
                    Well it sounds like you have some things on your side!
                    The oulet screen (often called effluent screen)
                    Is usually down near the outlet pipe itself in the tank BUT not all septics have them.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
                      Well it sounds like you have some things on your side!
                      The oulet screen (often called effluent screen)
                      Is usually down near the outlet pipe itself in the tank BUT not all septics have them.
                      Almost guarantee this one doesn't.

J.C.

Comment

Well back to the original request,"help me I don't or can't afford to hire a plumber"
                        Ok Then time for you to borrow or rent or buy a snake, A mainline snake say 5/8" or 3/4" cable is the one for the job but if you can only find a 1/2" cable then run that puppy out the 40' of pipe and see if it get to the septic, then tell us how you did. Google a blow bag maybe it would work for you maybe not.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

OK. I'll start looking into the snakes, or maybe just go ahead & get a plumber out here on Mon.
                          So even w/ all the loud gurgling sounds coming from the tub, it has nothing to do w/ the vent pipe you think?

It's a pretty simple pipe system... the main pipe comes strait down from the toilet, into the basement, to a 90 degree curve with a clean out, then strait to the septic tank.
                          Shortly after coming through the floor, into the basement, the tub drain joins the main pipe, then below that the vent pipe joins, just above the clean out plug.

Comment

This question may have already been asked, But is the tank full ? if it is a snake wont do you any favors !

Comment

Also, there were times not to long after it was jetted out that it didn't flush as freely as I thought it should & made some gurgling sounds. Makes me wonder???

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                                This question may have already been asked, But is the tank full ? if it is a snake wont do you any favors !
                                No, I took the cover off the septic tank to check. It was only about 4" below the drain pipe, but it had room to drop, so that shouldn't be the cause.

Comment

Working...
                                X