X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sewer line gunk

OK, flushes fine most of the time but not this morn. The toilet filled almost to the top... I thought she was going to overflow again.
    I guess I'm convinced now that you guys were right in that the orangeburg is collapsing, & needs to be replaced.

Guess I'll wait till I get paid Fri & rent a ditch witch.

I'm guessing I'll need a 4" plastic pipe. It will be laid about 2' deep across a sandrock driveway (about 40' across).
    Should I use the thin wall stuff or the scented 40 PVC?

Do you envision any problems connecting the plastic to the cast iron pipe coming from the house, or the septic tank?

Comment

I am just catching up on all this and I am surprised you made it this long without replacing the line. I am by no means a professional plumber, but I've cleaned a ton of drains and done some repair work in the hills of Arkansas. Schedule 40 pvc definitely, costs a little more but I'm sure everyone will agree that DWV is not meant for this kind of sewer line. They make a rubber coupling that will slide right over the cast and pvc, but having a straight edge on both pipes so you don't leave a gap is crucial. I know the name of those couplings as "Fernco" but where you are they may call it something different. Also, if you plan on putting new pipe all the way to the tank, make sure to seal it good with concrete. It's been years since I've done those repairs, but I vaguely remember a cement mix from lowes in a small bucket that set up fast. I was taught to mix alot of salt in with the mix to discourage roots from growing into the tank. Maybe things have changed since I switched to strictly commercial drain work, so I can only offer what I know from back then.

Comment

Thank you Drain King. Sounds like good advice to me.

Comment

I almost forgot that you need to put rolled tar around the pipe before you run it into the septic tank, it helps create a good seal. Still need to use the quick-set concrete mix in conjunction with it though.

Comment

concrete mix drain king refers to is called 'hydro-plug'. marketed for sealing basement groundwater leaks, works good for this if you have a concrete tank.

ferncos tend to fail after a while, especially with marginal compaction and bedding. They do better the straighter cut you get on the pipes you are mating, and they firm up a lot if you put no-hub bands arond the outside of them; two two ich nohub bands opened up and screwed together fit nice around a 4" fernco. husky's are better yet.

invest in getting it jetted and cameraed first; it would be several thousand around here for the replacement. several hundred to be sure you need to do it and have it located before you dig is probably worth it.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Up Date...
              On Fri, after getting home from work, my brother & nephew had started uncovering the septic line at the septic tank end. I join in & we had it uncovered before dark.
              Sat morn we had a couple inches of snow, but I went ahead & finished removing the old orangeburg.
              I ended up leaving two sections of orangburg & connecting the Schedule 40 to it. One end of the orangeburg was small enough to slide the PVC over it. I used glue. The other end required a rubber boot.
              Both of those new connections were reinforced w/ ready mix concrete.

The reason for leaving the two sections... at the house, it went under a 6' wide concrete back porch that was poured a few years back.
              At the septic tank end, the last 4-5' of orangburg had been cemented.
              I checked for clearance on both ends. The house end seamed fine.
              The end at the septic tank, even though it was shorter, gave me some grief.
              I couldn't get a 1" PVC pipe through it, so I hammered a 3/4" galvanized pipe through it. Unfortunately, the pipe came out into the septic tank "under" the drain pipe.
              Apparently, it went down through the bottom of the orangeburg.
              I know I should have gone ahead & taken the extra time to dig that last section out, cement & all & replace it, but I didn't.
              But I did run a 3" metal pipe through it & it was cleared.
              When I tested it later, it seamed to come out into the tank just fine. I just hope that doesn't lead to problems later<G>.

I have left it uncovered to observe it a while. Here is a link to pictures of the project & what I found.
              What do you think about that much root & other build up taking place in less that two years after Mr Router supposedly "jetted" it clean, ran the camera through it (before I got home) & said it was "clean as a whistle"?
              http://picasaweb.google.com/slowhike...neReplacement#

Comment

Thanks for the update

Originally posted by slowhike View Post
                One end of the orangeburg was small enough to slide the PVC over it. I used glue. The other end required a rubber boot.
                Both of those new connections were reinforced w/ ready mix concrete.

I don't like the look of the pvc coupling on the orangeburg, I'd be more comfortable with a husky around it, but if you've concreted it, it should be ok. will be a pita if not with the concrete.

I hammered a 3/4" galvanized pipe through it. Unfortunately, the pipe came out into the septic tank "under" the drain pipe.
                Apparently, it went down through the bottom of the orangeburg.
                I know I should have gone ahead & taken the extra time to dig that last section out, cement & all & replace it, but I didn't.
                But I did run a 3" metal pipe through it & it was cleared.
                When I tested it later, it seamed to come out into the tank just fine. I just hope that doesn't lead to problems later<G>.

Might do. It'll be a leak point, which may erode soil under it and allow the pipe to drop further.

What do you think about that much root & other build up taking place in less that two years after Mr Router supposedly "jetted" it clean, ran the camera through it (before I got home) & said it was "clean as a whistle"?

seems a little much for two years for around here, but the fact that you can dig in february w/o a groundheater means you've got a much longer growing season than we do. Not impossible.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Yea we really like it on updates. Thanks!
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Well I appreciate the advice here!

Comment

Did you put in a nice new cleanout??

Comment

No, the clean out is cast iron, w/ a PVC cap, & goes through the foundation. It seams to work fine. It can be seen in a picture linked in post #44.

But how about the root mass pictured in the link in post #51? Do you guys think that the Mr Router guys actually jetted this pipe clean & ran a camera through it less than two years ago?
                        There are no trees or other plants anywhere near that line, other than some monkey grass around the septic tank clean out tile.

Comment

Working...
                        X