Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom Sink Smell

Folks:

After unplugging my bath sink, I continue to have a nasty smell. The local hardware told me to pour in baking soda and vinegar, let it work for a few minutes and run hot water down the drain...

Anyone else gotten rid of "sink stink" with baking soda and vinegar?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob1948

Re: Bathroom Sink Smell

Have you pullled the plunger out of the pop up and cleaned out all the nasty hair, toothpaste, spit and other bodily fluids usually found in a bathroom sink?

it is a good place for hair to get suck and catch everything else, plus people don't run their lav long enough.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Maybe your vent got something in it too, I would run a garden hose down it.

also, make sure your trap is holding water.
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

have you tried Bio-clean.....this may help.

Comment

Good answers above, you might also want to check the nuts on the trap itself. Maybe you loosend a seal when plunging?
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Yes... I did clean out the line the the P-trap... the blockage was beyond the P-trap. To clear the blockage I literally put in 5/16" cable from my K-50 and pulled out a bunch of junk... what is the proper procedure to clean out a plugged up sink line. Use a 5/16" cable or something bigger??? How do to you clean the junk & grease off the inside of the pipe ... with a C Cutter???

Rob1948

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1948 View Post
              Yes... I did clean out the line the the P-trap... the blockage was beyond the P-trap. To clear the blockage I literally put in 5/16" cable from my K-50 and pulled out a bunch of junk... what is the proper procedure to clean out a plugged up sink line. Use a 5/16" cable or something bigger??? How do to you clean the junk & grease off the inside of the pipe ... with a C Cutter???

Rob1948
              5/16 is fine. What did you mean "literally" used a 5/16 cable?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Along with cleaning your pop-up plug, clean / flush your overflow pipe.
                Sometimes the force of the running water will emanate some nasty odors from the overflow entry.

Tracy
                sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1948 View Post
                  How do to you clean the junk & grease off the inside of the pipe ... with a C Cutter???

Rob1948
                  I use a jetter
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

re the smell, trap should not allow stink fom gunk in line below it to get back to you...

agree with others check stopper, also look down there with a flashlight with trap off and check tailpiece for nastiness.

does the sink have a overflow hole? the passage for these gets grungy sometimes... try your solution (or bleach) through there as well.

was the pipe nice and firm in the wall when you snaked it? if it was moving around you might have knocked it loose from the vent.

what was the pipe in the wall made of? if a material suceptible to corrosion you might have poked a hole in a weak spot with your cable.

did you spill enough water when you took the trap off that there may be a puddle making stink under the cabinet or in the wall?
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Dump one cup of bleach down it. If you still have the smell repair the broken pipe
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

check the stopper of course but also see if the trap is possibly siphoning out if it is .....like when as s trap is in place...it can cause a break in the trap seal

Comment

Working...
                        X