Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sectional vs. Drum - Cleaner May 2008

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    This I've never understood, every clogged line I've come to has water in it to some degree. How do you inspect the line with water in it?
    ben, typically i would only camera a line with water when all else fails.

i will match up the snake footage with the camera footage.

usually if you let things settle, you can get a picture.

if not you still have a location.

the scariest one i did was a number of years back. it was 9' deep in the blind on a very busy street in hollywood for the telephone co.

this one made me nervous as i had no picture and a plugged line that i had no track record. i was there for another plumber. his snake and my camera went the same distance.

i located it and crossed my fingers at what the backhoe might find as this was a very busy street.

i was right on and happy to find that a utility co bored right through their sewer at 9' deep in the street.

sure a picture would give me the assurance i needed. but sometimes you have to land the plane with instrument's and not visual.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      sure a picture would give me the assurance i needed. but sometimes you have to land the plane with instrument's and not visual.
      Who told you that? Joey? or was it Mark?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Who told you that? Joey? or was it Mark?
        Poor Rick
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

sometimes i come up with my own comparisons.

i always like to compare snaking with fishing.

when you go fishing for sharks, you don't break out the trout pole.

why i video tape my inspections.

when you go to the dr for x-rays, you get the x rays photos.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            So that I understand you, if you had a stoppage at a tub you would run 125' of 5/8" cable to clear it? It seems not only would it not do the job but it would weigh over 250 lbs. I on the other hand would sprint up the stairs with 45 pounds in one had and 45 pounds (100' of 5/8" plus a cord and a drop cloth) in the other and still have 50' of cable in the cage that never gets used.

Mark
            OMG, If I had a stoppage at a tub I would use my top snake not 45 pounds in one had and 45 pounds (100' of 5/8" plus a cord and a drop cloth) in the other. I think I might be pushing 10lbs total
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
              OMG, If I had a stoppage at a tub I would use my top snake not 45 pounds in one had and 45 pounds (100' of 5/8" plus a cord and a drop cloth) in the other. I think I might be pushing 10lbs total
              LOL-Of course my post was a reply to your post calling me a hack. The fact that your K-7500 has limited uses does not mean my K-60 suffers from the same flaw.

You have to remember I have the luxury of choosing to use my K-60 on a tub drain which obviously would not require 100' of cable and would do a much better job than a top snake.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

LOL-Of course my post was a reply to your post calling me a hack. The fact that your K-7500 has limited uses does not mean my K-60 suffers from the same flaw.

You have to remember I have the luxury of choosing to use my K-60 on a tub drain which obviously would not require 100' of cable and would do a much better job than a top snake.

Mark
                What is a "top snake"? If it's a hand held electric drill I'm calling B.S. on that one. Do you even know how to use a drum machine properly? My hand drill does a fantastic job, again maybe you just don't know how to use them correctly.

Comment

limited uses ????
                  WOW.... guess I never knew that, Thanks for the tip

That's like saying the K-60 has limited uses as it wont do 4 of the main lines I did today that were over 200` each with roots
                  Try that with a K-60. That little toy box would be flipping all over the yard
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-24-2008, 10:37 PM.

Comment

limited uses ????

That's like saying the K-60 has limited uses as it wont do 4 of the main lines I did today that were over 200` each with roots
                    i thought your machine was broken today?

do you swap drums or add cable?

i do snake 150' quite often with 7/8'' k-60. actually i find it pretty easy to lay out and repack. i can do 150' in 45 minutes start to finish.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                      What is a "top snake"? If it's a hand held electric drill I'm calling B.S. on that one. Do you even know how to use a drum machine properly? My hand drill does a fantastic job, again maybe you just don't know how to use them correctly.
                      A top snake is anything with a cable small enough to snake an 1 1/4" drain. It could be a drill type however, I prefer my K-50 with a bulb adapter to my K-39. The truth is I do not use top snakes very often because a 5/8" cable in my K-50 or K-60 does a much better job of cleaning then a top snake ever could.

As far as drum machines I think I can figure out how to use them. As I have posted before every truck in my shop had a selection of sectionals and drum machines. However, the sectionals always got more use than the drums because they did a better job.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i thought your machine was broken today?

rick.

It was but now my "Hole Hawg" is broken...rotflmao Do that with your K-60

Comment

the sectionals always got more use than the drums because they did a better job.

Mark
                          you mean took longer so you could charge more

Comment

It was but now my "Hole Hawg" is broken...rotflmao Do that with your K-60
                            His k-60 isn't broken, so he doesn't have to
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

you mean took longer so you could charge more
                              No used more often

Wait! Now I am defending Mark too
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

limited uses ????

The K-60 is limited to 175' of 7/8" by Ridgid but I consider that more of a suggestion than a rule. I would not be at all concerned aabout adding another length and a half to hit a stoppage. The truth is the code requires a cleanout every 100' which out west is fairly common. Of course there are always a few where they cover them and you have to use more cable. The furthest I have ever been out and cleared a stoppage was 500' and you will be happy to know that was with one of my drum machines.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X