Basic how to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic how to?

I just bought a 100' 3/4" cabled drain snake used, and of course I forgot to make sure there was a manual. I was wondering if some one could give me a basic how to? Not sure if there is one on the forum already, I didn't see anything so I thought I'd ask. A very basic starter is what I was looking for, like: Do I start the machine first and then while it is spinning feed it into the drain, or feed it in first and when I've hit the clog then turn the machine on? And any other basic essentials i"ve not thought of.
    I know it may not seem like it but I am pretty alright with things like this, just haven't used one before and thought I'd make sure and ask the experts before having a go. I would have hired an expert but I live here out in the middle of nowhere and the fee for them driving out even is liable to break me. So thanks very much for any help.
    Adam

Re: Basic how to?

well anytime i ever fed the cable initially in the machine it was in the off position.....but adam r u really sure you want to attempt this........it doesnt seem u have ever done this before and let me be frank if you dont rerally have an idea what your dealing with in the line your going into.......that snake will f*** your world up! think about it first....everyone thinks its so easy.....lol

Comment

I do have some experience with snaking drains, this one in particular. I have snaked it many times with all manner of snakes, but they were all the unmotored type. I also had a friend who is a retired plumber come out with his large motorized unit and snake it twice, he has unfortuantely moved away since. I was there both times paying reasonably close attention, not enough obviously!, it was, he said, a very straightforward setup it is a clear straight shoot of pipe about 50' which runs into a shelter belt and so is continually clogged by roots and always will be until I can dig a new line in, which will be awhile. The snake goes in through the floor drain and straight out. Like I said I wish I could hire an expert, as I am a little worried about it, but I have no choice really it has to be done every few months to prevent the roots growing back. I certainly don't think it is going to be easy but it has to be done, I just have to figure it out the first time. Thanks again.Adam

Comment

roots!?!.....adam you should really consider bringing a pro in the first time my friend.....or if u see a plumbing truck in your area with a mechanic aboard from a reputable company ask if he could take a look i think he will tell u the same thing.....but if you dont go that way take your time feeding in.when u hit an obstruction with the machine then pull it out see what you bring back and keep doing this till it slides easy in and out......hope you have good luck

Comment

Click on "support" top of page, then go to "training video" then go to K-7500. Atlas does have a very good point about safety, please be careful with this machine. I would recommend taking a week off work and reading every single thread in the drain cleaning section. 3/4" cable is nothing to play with.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamO View Post
            I just bought a 100' 3/4" cabled drain snake used, and of course I forgot to make sure there was a manual. I was wondering if some one could give me a basic how to? Not sure if there is one on the forum already, I didn't see anything so I thought I'd ask. A very basic starter is what I was looking for, like: Do I start the machine first and then while it is spinning feed it into the drain, or feed it in first and when I've hit the clog then turn the machine on? And any other basic essentials i"ve not thought of.
            I know it may not seem like it but I am pretty alright with things like this, just haven't used one before and thought I'd make sure and ask the experts before having a go. I would have hired an expert but I live here out in the middle of nowhere and the fee for them driving out even is liable to break me. So thanks very much for any help.
            Adam
            My God stick to what you are quallified in and stay away from plumbing and sewer machines as you are going to make it worse than what it is now.

Tony

Comment

Adam, what model is your machine? Don't pay no attention to these guys, they are not that hard to operate. If you can't find a # on it post a picture so we can identify it for you.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                Adam, what model is your machine? Don't pay no attention to these guys, they are not that hard to operate. If you can't find a # on it post a picture so we can identify it for you.

Ya what do we know

We are just a bunch of drain cleaners who do this as a hobby everyday.

Dont worry about what you have to consider is in the drain and that you might get stuck on anything and at anytime you could snap the cable, get wrapped up in your cable, loop the cable up, go backwards down the line, shoot up a toilet, go up a stack. Its really not that hard to operate though

Yes im being sarcastic. Do your homework
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Adam,
                  Here is the link (http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Literature-Search/index.htm) to where you can download the manual for any of the current RIDGID machines. If for some reason you have purchased a model that is obsolete and not coming up on this search, please call 800-519-3456 and we can assist with finding a manual for your model as well as provide any additional technical assistance you may need. As papadan has noted here, you will need to know the model # of your machine. The model # is listed in a couple different areas on our machines. On the serial tag (usually riveted to the frame), on the drum, or on a plate on the front of the machine frame.
                  If it has a 3/4" cable it should either be a K-7500 or a K-750 which both originally would have had a plate on the bottom front of the steel 2x4 that is welded to the front of the the frame. Also, the 7500 has 2 handles (with grips) that are bent back toward the user on the cart, where the 750 has 2 rounded handles with an axle and loading wheel assembled between them. Hopefully this will help you identify your model.
                  Last edited by Tech.Man; 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM.

Comment

99%correct

it's not hard to operate. you just plug it in and step on the pedal.

the issue is that know how to properly and safely run the machine and clean the line comes with experience. this doesn't happen overnight or by yourself.

it takes hands on training and should be assisted by a pro who will keep you from being a victim of the school of hard knocks, broken machine, pipes and bones

small cables kink easy and fast. large cables take more to kink, but when they do, you don't want to be on the end of it.

post a picture or a model #. is it auto feed or manual feed?

good luck and please follow up with the info.

the on line manual and video are a good start.

the real people here are the best, looking out for your safety.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I find it hard to believe that BUYING an entire machine was cheaper than calling a pro.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by AdamO View Post
                        I do have some experience with snaking drains, this one in particular. I have snaked it many times with all manner of snakes, but they were all the unmotored type. I also had a friend who is a retired plumber come out with his large motorized unit and snake it twice, he has unfortuantely moved away since. I was there both times paying reasonably close attention, not enough obviously!, it was, he said, a very straightforward setup it is a clear straight shoot of pipe about 50' which runs into a shelter belt and so is continually clogged by roots and always will be until I can dig a new line in, which will be awhile. The snake goes in through the floor drain and straight out. Like I said I wish I could hire an expert, as I am a little worried about it, but I have no choice really it has to be done every few months to prevent the roots growing back. I certainly don't think it is going to be easy but it has to be done, I just have to figure it out the first time. Thanks again.Adam

Have your line repaired or replaced. Then you won't need a cable machine at all!
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ok Dan, now you have to tell the story about how you broke 3 of your fingers using a k-75 when it sucked your glove into the coil of the cable

Comment

oooooooooooooooooo thats right i almost forgot about those lovely lil things that can go ary like the coil grabbing your glove and breaking your fingers or god forbid worse............im not poking fun at you adam ....but its the lil things from experience that you learn NOT TO EVER EVER DO.....by the way how much was the set up u got....the cable and the machine? for the price you could have gotten a contract to have the line done id wager.

Comment

Yep, I learned the hard way not to wear leather work gloves. LOL Drain Medic, don't get upset, The man is asking for advice on using his machine, not if he should call a pro. Nobody is saying it is easy, but for him to run his own home line, it is possible to do. I can run drum and sectional machines and nobody showed me how and I am in no way a plumber or drain cleaner. Instead of telling Adam to call in a pro, try answering his question!
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X