Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Pipe-who is responsible

Guys
    I pevious posted about a jetter breaking a PVC line any way I got some photos can everyone give me their opinions on wether this was possible.
    Note there is concrete internally on the bend on the photo.
    Attached Files

Re: Broken Pipe-who is responsible

that looks like it was busted from the outside in!

Comment

This is iffy but I can say the concrete caused an abnormal situation that didn't allow the jetter to work as designed. The sidewalls of the pvc is very thin, is that sch 20? I'd ultimately say, no.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

good question i was guessing sch 40 that is the only pipe i would put under a slab.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Plumber Greg View Post
          Guys
          I pevious posted about a jetter breaking a PVC line any way I got some photos can everyone give me their opinions on wether this was possible.
          Note there is concrete internally on the bend on the photo.
          Was this fitting under a slab if so a concrete forming stack my have been hammered through the pipe and removed after the slab hardend, and if it was just in the ground the pressure of the surrounding screenings and dirt fill would have needed a lot more pressure from a jetter to blow a hole in it from inside the pipe.

Tony

Comment

The hole in the trap looks to be directly in line with the edge of the concrete still in the trap. This looks to me like the trap was clogged with concrete and someone tried to snake it and broke through the trap. Possibly they sucked the trap out, saw the concrete and tried to beat through it with a bar and a hammer and broke the trap. I don't think it is possible for a jetter to do this. If all you did was jet, then I think this trap was broken before you arrived. I think it was possibly KNOWN to be broken before you arrived, and you are being set up.

Do the test mentioned earlier. Set up your jetter in a similar trap with the nozzle pointed right there and video it running for a couple hours. I will be shocked if it eats a hole in the trap. Then give them a copy of the video, show the the unscathed trap, and ask them if they truly believe your jetter broke it.

Tape your conversations and save any corespondance; if these people are resonable and simply trying to find the truth, they will see it is not possible for the jetter to have done this. If they are nasty and out to lay blame regardless of truth, then their story will change as to what actions you took to clear the drain; it will become your word against theirs as to whether YOU snaked it or tried to punch it out with a bar.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

that brake is NOT from a JETTER.

I will bet money on that statement. Just not gonna cause a brake like that in the middle of a fitting....Now WAY
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Thanks Guys
                I offered him of my video of my jetter in operation and reminded him there was duct tape screenings and concrete in line when I camera it before jetting .
                I will keep you informed thanks for input once again very helpful.
                Regards
                greg

Comment

No way a jetter does that, could have been broken from original install.....looks like broken from outside in.

Comment

greg, someone used a a tool, punch, chisel, to try to hammer out the buildup.

the break is not from a jetter. a jetter eats the material in streaks, not a hole like that.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                      The hole in the trap looks to be directly in line with the edge of the concrete still in the trap. This looks to me like the trap was clogged with concrete and someone tried to snake it and broke through the trap. Possibly they sucked the trap out, saw the concrete and tried to beat through it with a bar and a hammer and broke the trap.
                      I think this is the best version on a probalbe cause.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

if you look at the edge of the pipe where it is broken it looks like it was pushed fro the inside out . it is hard to see with the dirt
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

No brainer, broken from outside. Have You been paid for Your service call! If not ,I would become a hard ***!!!!
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I agree with HAWK. If you look closely at the top of the pipe, the flange that is left on the pipe (in the break) is on the inside of the pipe. If it was broken from the outside, that flange would not be there.
                            Last edited by Pipestone Kid; 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

i agree with hawk and rick and alot of the others ...to quote mc hammer......"its hammer time"....and a big screw driver of cold chisel.....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X