X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera Usage

Do you use your sewerage camera on all cleanouts and how do you talk a client into the added expence of using your camera when you originally went to clear their pipes.?

Tony

Re: Camera Usage

i charge for my camera and only use it if it's necessary.

just like when i go to the dr. i only get an x-ray when i'm broken

not when i'm sick

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Same as Rick. Camera is EXTRA!

I dont have to sell it, They ask me as it`s in my ad`s and on my trailer
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i charge for my camera and only use it if it's necessary.

just like when i go to the dr. i only get an x-ray when i'm broken

not when i'm sick

rick.
        Thats crux of the matter Rick how do you know when it is necessary and not seeming to push that extra cost onto the client I will clear a sewerage pipe and because it was easy in comparision to others I will then put the camera in and find tree roots still in the pipe, as I have only had this camera for a few months I didn`t have the option and looking down drains now with it I am finding more problems than when I didn`t have it, and feel I haven`t down the job properly unless I have camered the drain I am clearing.?????

Tony

Comment

If you use a sectional, you can feel the majority of all problems, espicially if you use a spiral bit. A c cutter will bounce over offsets but the spiral blade will catch and take some work to get past. Note the distances and after a while, you can feel the problems. Don't get too hung up about seeing roots in the line. Sometimes you'll see a sheet of roots hanging down and it looks huge. But it's only a small bit when you finally clear that section. After a while, you'll get the hang of it in deciding when a camera is needed and when it's not.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It all depends on the situation but more often then not I try to up sell the camera. If I'm already there to snake I only charge an additional $75 to camera. At that price most customers say go ahead, the peace of mind alone is worth $75.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i don't use a camera unless i was referred there by others just for that purpose.

or after i have a good documented track record of the line and the problem is getting worse.

or the damages done by the back up requires an answer.

every line has roots, offsets, poor grade, defects.

but i assure them that theirs is no different than the rest of the block and you don't see them changing their sewer. heck, even my sewer has roots.

i'm realistic, not a sales driven/ commission based tech.

the camera gets used when i feel it's necessary. not when i need to generate sales.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I don't just use my camera to generate sales. I use it for it's intended purpose, to inspect sewer mains. I don't like to run on assumptions. After snaking a main I have a pretty good idea of the condition but without running the camera it's just an assumption. Without camering I assume I got all the roots, I assume I made it to the main, I assume their main is not about to collapse.
                If I were to clear a main just using a blow bag, I would only charge for a service call. To snake a main I charge much more. since I snake, not just use a blow bag to open the main, does this also make me sales driven and unrealistic?
                Last edited by Gene Bickford; 04-26-2008, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i try to camera inspect EVERY sewer job if possible. I give a free camera inspection when i jet a line to let the customer know how long there warranty is. I dont warranty any line with roots,belleys or off-set unless they are on a maintence program with the trailor-jetter or if i put in Root-X. If i am just doing a routine cable job with the Spartan 300 i will charge an additional fee to run the camera...sometimes if the customer is very interested in not having that problem anymore i MAy camera it for free to go ahead and repair the pipe or install root-x.

Comment

i dont warranty the line unless they choose to have me camera also
                    Mike
                    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

The house I was at today, figured if I had a camera, it would be included in the labor charge. I dont want to be "out of the game." Tomorrow I am going to try to find someone who can work with me if a customer needs a line camera'd.
                      Last edited by NorthernIllinoisPlumber; 04-27-2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

To camera or not to camera that is the question,whether it is nobler to camera in the sewers and drains or to suffer the stings or arrows of outrageous clients that is just one of my millions of questions.??

I have noticed one cannot get a common answer to ones questions in this forum as we all do it our own ways but thanks fellas for your input.

Tony

Comment

Way i look at it is, its a specialty piece of equipment. Im going to charge for it. Why would i pay over 20 grand for the cameras i have and not charge for it

I try to yes here it comes SELL the camera on every job. Countless times i get customers telling me how the last guy was there 6 weeks ago. I ask did they camera the line. Of course not. Im sure i lose business putting the cameras in lines because i find the problems, and either permantely fix them, or there just isnt a problem anymore.

Doesnt matter if its residential or commercial. I would not be giving a good service if i didnt camera the lines. Sure i get the people that say the price is to high, but that equipment isnt cheap either. Specially after the abuse its going to take. Trying to push thru traps, going thru chemicals.

I would say i video 80% of all my jobs. Sometimes i put it in there for my own good, to see if im going the right way, to see if there are different tie ins. etc.
                          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                            Way i look at it is, its a specialty piece of equipment. Im going to charge for it. Why would i pay over 20 grand for the cameras i have and not charge for it

I try to yes here it comes SELL the camera on every job. Countless times i get customers telling me how the last guy was there 6 weeks ago. I ask did they camera the line. Of course not. Im sure i lose business putting the cameras in lines because i find the problems, and either permantely fix them, or there just isnt a problem anymore.

Doesnt matter if its residential or commercial. I would not be giving a good service if i didnt camera the lines. Sure i get the people that say the price is to high, but that equipment isnt cheap either. Specially after the abuse its going to take. Trying to push thru traps, going thru chemicals.

I would say i video 80% of all my jobs. Sometimes i put it in there for my own good, to see if im going the right way, to see if there are different tie ins. etc.
                            Well said Greg.

Comment

We are a little different as our camera work is now more about investigation for litigation than service work. At times we might do 10 per day for a month and at others we may go months without touching a camera. However, when we were doing service we would recommend a camera on any mainline which had more than a soft stoppage and any branch line which had a reoccurring problem.

And yes of course there was an additional equipment charge for using the camera.

Mark
                              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                              X