X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another sectional vs drum question

my personal experience is "they like anything else have a place, it`s just not in my trailer "Yes" I would stick a K-60 in there but I bet it wouldn't see much uses in 6 months. That's why I haven't pushed for one.
    The big job I do tomorrow is at a pizza plant. They have a new nice sectional machine but when they couldn't clear a drain at 150` they called me. After they saw what I had and how fast I could do the job and not make a mess out of the plant like their NEW sectional machine does they parked that nice shinny machine and gave me a once a month job.

Now talk about how my "RIDGID drum machine makes me a living Just might be my Video
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I'm any smarter than before but thanks just the same. Never seeing a sectional in use before limits my imagination. I imagine a mess and a struggle. feeding a cable into a sleeve so it does not flop around seems timely and messy. I don't doubt they work great I have just never seen one in action. One last question, Someone recommended the 7500, Aint that the big boy on the block? I was thinkning the 6200 for roots, or is it too small a cable 5/8". My small 400 has a torque limiter and I can tell when to back off in time before cable wraps in drum. I would hope the 6200 would be just as easy. I appreciate your input and opinions. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I'm any smarter than before but thanks just the same. Never seeing a sectional in use before limits my imagination. I imagine a mess and a struggle. feeding a cable into a sleeve so it does not flop around seems timely and messy. I don't doubt they work great I have just never seen one in action. One last question, Someone recommended the 7500, Aint that the big boy on the block? I was thinkning the 6200 for roots, or is it too small a cable 5/8". My small 400 has a torque limiter and I can tell when to back off in time before cable wraps in drum. I would hope the 6200 would be just as easy. I appreciate your input and opinions. Thanks.

Comment

yea the 7500 is the big boy but why use a knife in a gun fight if you know what I mean ?

it`s kinda like why use a K-60 on a main line if you have a 1500

Comment

Sewer rat, Forget my original questions about the roots. Since I already have the smaller machines but want to add another machine as an added tool for more revenue would you buy a jetter or the 7500? I would only be willing to fork out $2000 for either. Thanks.

Comment

I have a 3000psi at 7gpm jetter
              I use my K-7500 for roots

Comment

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post

The sectional cables are open wind so they are generally cleaner than the cables used in drum machines. Unless you are removing the trap arm to snake through the san tee you can often run hot water while removing your cable after you have cleaned the line and your cable will come back clean. As far as putting the cable in the guide hose the way you use a sectional machine is you feed as much into the drain as you can before you put it into the machine. If you are snaking from the roof you might hand feed as far as 40 or 50 feet of cable. Once you can no longer feed by hand you put a length of cable into the front of the machine. Then attach the new cable to the cable which is already in the drain and press down on the handle.

Where we used our drum machines the majority of the time was on main lines with above ground cleanouts.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That's it

Time to take this to the next level

<<< Me carrying two drum machines, heavily medicated and armed with desire to clear a drain from 400 feet, blindfolded.

Ya'll will be buying me cigars when they carry me away on a stretcher.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post
                    Hello, after reading an old post labeling the handyman as a hack I wish I created a different login. I have worked a few years as a service tech and a few commercial rough-ins. not a plumber but not a hack either.

I currently have a general sewerooter with 1/2" cable and a ridgid 380 and 400. They work fine for what I use them for But I have had to rent a larger machine once or twice. None of my local plumber friends own sectionals or jetters. I want a larger machine for occasional tree roots. I would rather pull a toilet than climb a roof. I mostly encounter 3"-6" lines I cannot picture using a sectional in a bathroom ( no basements here) I also would consider a small jetter but once again cannot picture that used indoors.
                    Any help from the 24/7 professionals would be appreciated.
                    a small jetter is useless on roots.

a sectional/ k-60 is by far the most universal machine ridgid makes.

that's why all the drum guys are complaining about the roundup and a 1 machine contest.

personally out here, i would much rather go on a roof, than pull a toilet full of waste and water in a carpeted bathroom of a fancy house.

i can work from the roof and never have to worry about a drop of water or dirt. if there is a 4'' vent, then you have a better shot than any closet bend will ever give you.

a drum machine is defiantly an easier machine to use than a sectional to the untrained user. but a sectional is also a safer machine to use hands down. there is no flywheel affect with a sectional. this will be proved at the roundup on the board cutting demo.

you don't have to believe me in. but i can tell you that my private message box is full of thanks for the recommendations on the k-60.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

here is my thought on it and i am new to the drain cleaning part and currently use a k7500 and never have used a sectional, but atleast up here there are very few 4" vents and even fewer vents that go straight to a waste line with out alot of offsets, and up here we get alot of rain, 12/12 pitch roof is not uncommon in this area so the advantages of a sectional are already taken out of the scenario thats why when i bought a machine i went with the drum
                      Mike
                      Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                      www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                        here is my thought on it and i am new to the drain cleaning part and currently use a k7500 and never have used a sectional, but atleast up here there are very few 4" vents and even fewer vents that go straight to a waste line with out alot of offsets, and up here we get alot of rain, 12/12 pitch roof is not uncommon in this area so the advantages of a sectional are already taken out of the scenario thats why when i bought a machine i went with the drum
                        Even down here where we consider a 6/12 steep my shop had a rule that we only go on the roof once. If the owner did not pay for a cleanout after the stoppage was cleared they would have to call someone else for their next stoppage. I figured it was just to easy for one of the guys to get hurt on the roof.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I did a job last night on a steep roof using Steve's idea for the pvc pipe leading to the vent. Worked great until I was pulling all the cable out. I was loading the cable in the reel when all the sudden I didn't feel any more tension on the cable from the pipe. I turned my body just in time as 30 ft of cable with babywipes and crap came slingshotting out of the pipe.

This was my from hell job last night and I did lose money on this one as I did go flat rate(just stirring the pot).
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I did a job last night on a steep roof using Steve's idea for the pvc pipe leading to the vent. Worked great until I was pulling all the cable out. I was loading the cable in the reel when all the sudden I didn't feel any more tension on the cable from the pipe. I turned my body just in time as 30 ft of cable with babywipes and crap came slingshotting out of the pipe.

This was my from hell job last night and I did lose money on this one as I did go flat rate(just stirring the pot).

Well here is a case for the K60. You all know where i stand on the drum vs sectional. But how much time and money would you have saved going flat rate and using the K60 on that one. Even i wouldve used the K60 on the roof
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                              Well here is a case for the K60. You all know where i stand on the drum vs sectional. But how much time and money would you have saved going flat rate and using the K60 on that one. Even i wouldve used the K60 on the roof
                              Not this roof Greg. Wayyyy to steep. I should have mentioned that in the previous post. Flat rate has been working for me and I make a little more than T&M (average of 50 dollars) but this job got me.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post

Your cable must not be very stiff? I`ve never had that happen but I use my good stiff I/C cable on jobs except the ones with a lot of turns. Then it`s time for an old floppy snake

There are a few tricks to it too
                                Keep the machine in the pipe opening at all times. Never have exposed cable

Comment

Working...
                                X