X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another sectional vs drum question

Hello, after reading an old post labeling the handyman as a hack I wish I created a different login. I have worked a few years as a service tech and a few commercial rough-ins. not a plumber but not a hack either.

I currently have a general sewerooter with 1/2" cable and a ridgid 380 and 400. They work fine for what I use them for But I have had to rent a larger machine once or twice. None of my local plumber friends own sectionals or jetters. I want a larger machine for occasional tree roots. I would rather pull a toilet than climb a roof. I mostly encounter 3"-6" lines I cannot picture using a sectional in a bathroom ( no basements here) I also would consider a small jetter but once again cannot picture that used indoors.
    Any help from the 24/7 professionals would be appreciated.

Re: Another sectional vs drum question

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post
    Hello, after reading an old post labeling the handyman as a hack I wish I created a different login. I have worked a few years as a service tech and a few commercial rough-ins. not a plumber but not a hack either.

I currently have a general sewerooter with 1/2" cable and a ridgid 380 and 400. They work fine for what I use them for But I have had to rent a larger machine once or twice. None of my local plumber friends own sectionals or jetters. I want a larger machine for occasional tree roots. I would rather pull a toilet than climb a roof. I mostly encounter 3"-6" lines I cannot picture using a sectional in a bathroom ( no basements here) I also would consider a small jetter but once again cannot picture that used indoors.
    Any help from the 24/7 professionals would be appreciated.
    If you search all of the Threads related to this you will see opinions vary quite a bit. The bottom line is it really depends on what you prefer. I started the Trades 35-years ago and have been a licensed Contractor for 27-years. When I had my shop all of the trucks had both drum machines and sectionals because both have a place on a plumbing truck. In my experience the sectionals are better machines so when I sold my business I kept a few of the sectional machines for personal use and all the drum machines went with the business.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

it`s a matter of what you want to do????
      The sectional machines takes a little more time and I myself don't feel that they should be used inside a home. ( To much risk of damage)

I pick the K-7500 as it will fit in some pretty tight places like small bathrooms and it works just as well outside the home. If you don't plan to do roof jobs go with the 7500
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

To the uninitiated who are not educated on both sectional and drum machines the sectional machine may seem messier but you have to look at the facts. Both machines have the same amount of cable exposed in front of the machine (with the exception of a K-50 using a front guide hose). Both machines should be sitting on a drop cloth if they are inside.

The sectional cable is contained within a 2" rear guide hose and is protected from causing damage or injury. The drum machine is contained within a 20" drum which is turning the entire time you are cleaning and it is possible to cause damage or injury.

The sectional is only turning the cables which are being used to clean the drain which gives the machine more power. The drum machine is turning all of the unused cable still in the drum so the load is the same regardless of how much cable is in the drain.

With a sectional machine you are feeding the cable in by hand so you have a better feel for what the cable is doing. With a drum machine you have the option of either hand feeding the cable or using an auto-feed.

As far as the amount of time it takes to clear a drain it varies by drain. However, if all you are doing is main lines with an outside cleanout the drum machine may have an advantage.

Mark

Comment

You know to this day I have never had to use a drop cloth when I`m using my K-7500 inside. I have covered the walls before but never had to use a drop cloth on the floor.

Must be my uninitiated and not being educated on both sectional and drum machines that makes me my money over the other guy`s here in town that most home owners dont want their sectional machines back in their homes.

With a sectional you have to basket every cable and cover the basket to take it back outside. I don't want to handle the cable anymore then I have to. Lots less chance of getting sick if you don't have to handle the cables 2 and 3 times on one job.

If you do as many jobs a week as I do you will want a drum hands down

Comment

The drop cloth is not always out of need it is out of respect for your customers home. Drain cleaning was only a small portion of what we did as we were plumbers first. However, we use to do at least 5-per day including weekends (often many more on weekends). Over a 27-year period that is just under 50,000 drain cleanings. Out of all of those drain cleanings I cannot remember ever sending a carpet or cleaning company in because we made a mess with either a sectional or drum machine. A lot of that had to do with the fact that we would buy bolts of drop cloth material and cut a bunch of 10' runners. It only takes a few minutes and the owners appreciate it.

Mark

Comment

Well you have gone to some great lengths to try and tell me how much better you are than I am so I`m just gonna give it to ya.

Mark you are the greatest sewer and drain guy out there! Everyone else comes in second to you!
              You have only the best equipment as our is all out dated dilapidated junk.

Mark if we could all only be like you it would be a perfect world

I`ll just have to be happy doing what I`m doing and be happy with what I`m making.
              BTW... tomorrow I do 15 runs of 150`
              then Monday I do 10 runs of 100` at wal-mart.
              for some reason I have plenty of work to keep me and my help busy

Comment

everyone has there own thoughts on this subject handyman......but i have an eel machine model c with sectional cables...eel cables come in 8' and 10' lenghths with an inner core.....i will admit if i had a drum machine it would be faster....and everything is contained...but i guess im old school and i apprenticed with a plumber and no disrespect to all the masters out there, he was a glorified sewer and drain cleaner, but this was his machine of choice and if u r in a tight area u can still use the machine and it has the torque to handle the job weather its 3" or 10"...sorry to all the ridgid guys out there

Comment

I sure am glad I knit socks and make pastries for a living

sheesh!
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    Well you have gone to some great lengths to try and tell me how much better you are than I am so I`m just gonna give it to ya.

Mark you are the greatest sewer and drain guy out there! Everyone else comes in second to you!

I`ll just have to be happy doing what I`m doing and be happy with what I`m making.
                    I think you take this stuff to personal. My point is your opinion is limited to what you have been exposed to. Because you have not used a sectional machines you cannot possibly understand the benefits to it. I keep hearing about sectionals being messy and it just isn't true. Drain cleaning can be messy but after 35-years of using both drums and sectional machines I cannot remember ever contributing to the mess with our equipment.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

Bahahaha! You'd think reading Marks and Ricks postings that drum machines are so inferior to sectionals that anybody uses them "isn't doing a good job" Apparently eighty percent of the time Mark and his crew preferred sectionals because those darn drum machines do such a lousy job.

I swear in my twenty five plus years of drain cleaning I never knew that. I guess it's time to throw away my drum machines and let mark and rick teach me how to clean drains again!

Comment

Mark
                        I`ve been plumbing since the 80`s I`m not NEW to the game of drain cleaning. Where on earth do you get the idea that I have never used a sectional machine??? Just because I don't use one now doesn't mean I have never used one before. You say my opinion is limited to what I have been exposed to so why don't you tell me just what that is as you seem to know more about me then me

I`m not taking anything personal, I just think you might want to rethink your thinking. I just didn't wake up in 2008 and say hummmmm I think I`m gonna get rich off being a sewer rat.
                        You say your company did 5 sewers a day, I do that before lunch. I`ll go do a 150` 4" install before lunch then do 8 or more cleanings after lunch. The only time I use my helpers is on the BIG all day jobs and the installs. I do 75% main lines and 25% small 1 1/2 to 2" lines every day.
                        I by myself did over 2500 sewers last year. You really should know something about what I can do before you prejudge what I do. I have been doing this for 25+ years

I have worked with your kind before when I worked at a union shop. I found it best to just tell em they are the best and leave it at that
                        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-26-2008, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Tom,

It is not about a lousy job it is about using the machine which is most efficient for the scenario presented. Where Rick and I differ is Rick now leaves his drum machines in the shop while I left them on the truck. Having only one style of drain cleaning machine would be the same as only having one type of pipe wrench. One style wrench would work but you limit your choices.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Tom,

It is not about a lousy job it is about using the machine which is most efficient for the scenario presented. Where Rick and I differ is Rick now leaves his drum machines in the shop while I left them on the truck. Having only one style of drain cleaning machine would be the same as only having one type of pipe wrench. One style wrench would work but you limit your choices.

Mark

Hummmmm Where have I heard this before????

Comment

Steve,

If you in fact have used sectional machines then you have experienced them. If you did not care for them that is fine. I know Greg owns one and prefers his drum machines and Dunbar has posted he has used them before and does not like them. I made an assumption you have not used them as I don't recall in all of the many posts you have made against sectionals that it was based on your personal experience.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X