X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Cleaning Waiver Help

I have been worried about accidentally putting my cable through the side of a pipe inside a home or business causing damage to accrue or getting stuck in a sewer caused by a shifted tile or collapsed pipe causing untold damages and cost. Does someone know where I can find a Generic Drain Cleaning Waiver or give some advice on what I should write into one if I have to make one up myself. Any help would be much appreciated, I just want to make sure that I cover most things needed that I may run into and seeing you guys do it every day you would know what to expect or not to expect. Thanks for any input you may have.
    ________
    Lincoln C Specifications
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM.
    Mike

Re: Drain Cleaning Waiver Help

best thing to do is get Insurance then look for a waver .
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

If you're in ohio that means everybody and their brother can be a plumber, just sign here and here, buy this book and take an open book test.

Along with that simple formality you have to be bonded and insured.

When an accident like that occurs......it goes into the hands of an insurance company and bypasses any written waiver you have.

Once the homeowner starts the claims process, it's duked out between the two insurance companies on who gets paid and how much.

Some good advice is to pay the claim and move on with it, chalk it up to jobsite hazards.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
        Some good advice is to pay the claim and move on with it, chalk it up to jobsite hazards.
        Do you mean just let the insurance pay the claim or do you mean pay it out of your own pocket?

If its a situation where a little snake breaks through a pipe above grade (kitchen, bath, etc.), then I can see just breaking open the sheetrock and fixing it. Yet, if the pipe is below grade, out in the yard, and would need to be replaced, that is going to cost $5k+
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Based upon your own discretion. I've never used mine but if it's someone trying to scam me.......I'll fight to within reason and then let it go through.

You can fight the moral ground till the cows come home but your agent will tell you in the long run, let the insurance pay it and move on.

If it's under a grand.....I'd pay it out of pocket.

Most times the rate increase you'll face against what the insurance company paid out never racks up to be the same if you actually paid for the claim and then divided it over a course of 12 months.......and thereon.

I had a trailer that barely hit a house years ago and all the time invested in the lawyer, the thinking about it.....the time invested to build a fight as I caught on tape the guy manipulating the actual damage before the estimators arrived.........

I should of paid the damn $4300.00 and been done with it. Fighting it......not including personal time cost me $7000.00 and still had the same result of owning the claim.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Sorry to hear about. That just flat out sucks

I understand where you are coming from. I agree that if its under $1,000 to pay it out of pocket and that insurance rates will climb pretty steep when making a claim. I know a few good sheetrock guys and two master plumbers that can help me if needed.

The only thing I worry about is finding out there is a collapsed pipe 8 feet below the ground while cleaning the drain and the homeowner wants to blame me for it. For that reason, I want to just have every customer sign a waiver before cleaning any main sewer drain.

It's just like when one goes into surgery. People sign waivers saying that if something happens, its not the hospital's fault, etc.
            YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              If you're in ohio that means everybody and their brother can be a plumber, just sign here and here, buy this book and take an open book test.

Along with that simple formality you have to be bonded and insured.

When an accident like that occurs......it goes into the hands of an insurance company and bypasses any written waiver you have.

Once the homeowner starts the claims process, it's duked out between the two insurance companies on who gets paid and how much.

Dunbar, I have been a master Plumber in Ohio long before they went to a open book test. I myself do not agree with the way Ohio gives out licenses but you can't disrespect all plumbers in Ohio because of that. I have asked this Question because I read many times in these post about Drain Cleaners having people sign a waiver before they do a cleaning. As for the Bonding, that does nothing to protect you from any liability of damage that may happen, and why should your insurance pay for damage caused by old and deteriorated pipes that cant withstand being cabled?
              ________
              Honda Z series
              Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM.
              Mike

Comment

my area there is a good chance of a pipe breaking but all the plumbers do snake drains regardless they just tell the customers that the pipes r old and it would have happened either way....but the houses in my area are older........they r any where from 80-100 yr old homes so this happens quiote frequently....what i do before i put a snake in a drain i tell the customer if there is a problem its extra

Comment

Isnt there a potential for a breakage at every call you get? Its clogged, they are calling you for a reason. I simply state on every job that there is a possibility of a broken pipe and that it could be the reason its clogged.

Otherwise they are calling you for a reason, so there is a problem with the pipe regardless.

Only waiver i ever get signed is when i do 2nd story clogs like tubs, sinks etc. Then i have them read a hold harmless agreement that i had made up by a lawyer and have the customer sign it. Almost all 2nd story lines in my areas are Lead pipe.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

so r mine drain!!!!!!!!!!!!.....how mant times do u go thru the lead....or those tight traps.....what a pain in the ***....i usually use a hand snake with a 1/4 inch cable the supervee i use when i was younger....the hand snake i feel is better less chance of breakage on tub traps anyway....lol

Comment

Well the tub drains around here have drum traps. So just getting those lids off is a project in itself. Then i have to hand feed the snake in the trap. I use the spartan 81 for the lead lines. I have busted a few. Usually if i see the lead though i will tell them its just time to replace. If they dont want to replace it, ill snake it only after they sign the waiver. I have never used a hand spun snake. I really dont think i could. In 13 yrs of doing this i might have gone thru the lead maybe 5 times.
                      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

would u mind sending me a copy of your waiver u use ........just so i can get an idea of a format.....

Comment

Drain Medic....have you ever used the Erickson Top Snake for tubs and b/sink drains?..i bet that little booger wil get through there!!..you can actually go through p-traps from the top WITHOUT taking the p-trap apart!!..i use it on tibs all the time..it has a small 1/4'' cable with a famous drop-head which ALLWAYS allows you to go DOWN. Its a manual drum and cable but its GREAT on b/sinks,b'tubs,a/c/drains and even gone through most washer drain p/traps.......a contractor in Sand Dieago told me about it years ago and i've been hooked every since!!

Comment

Lonestar I Had Something Happen To Me Three Years Ago Thats I Went Thru A Lead Trap.....an Oldtimer In My Shop At The Time Just Shook His Head ...giggled ...went To His Truck And Gave Me A Manual One ........i Used It And I Have Never Went To An Electric Again.....for Tubs Anyway....i Dont Know If Mine Is An Erickson But I Recently Bout A New One.......and It Was A Bit Pricey But Worth Every Dollar!!!!!!!!

Comment

For a waiver just talk to the next rooter rooter guy you see and get him to give you their work order then change the names and little things to match your company it is a pretty good waiver.
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X