X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod job (and customer) from He!! Today

I should have gone with my gut feeling...
    Get a call about water in the basement this morning, possible sump pump issue? Nope, after 20 questions it sounds like a sewer backup.
    Arrive at the house, go in, wonderful smell awaits. 1st floor kitchen, hall to basement, hall bath, food pantry, are all flooded with FRESH clumps of raw sewerage. I go down stairs, same thing...luckly, no carpet. Clumps on the drywall from it running down the register vents etc. etc. etc.
    House is 20 years old. Cleanout outside? Nope. Pull toilet? No Sir, I will really flood out 1st floor. Two story house is completely full. I drill a hole in the basement wall cleanout and let her drain.

Use k1500, every head I used will only go about 4 feet, bind up, and out comes paper towels...thick ones. I get the dumb look from homeowner. Clog does break, still never made it past 4ft. Can I camera? No, dont have one. Tell H/O if it backs up, call me and I will have a camera sent out. Refuses paper flush test, call for professional restoration company, and cleanup help while we were waiting for it to drain. BTW it ran into ejector below the C/O when it was draining.
    Give customer the bill for 3-1/2 hours...
    Customer "I must pay for you to clean up your equipment?"
    Plumber "Yes. It is 10 till 1pm. Do you want me to round down?"
    Customer "Yes, down."
    Plumber "No, I wont do that, I did wave the travel time."
    Customer "But you did not tell me what is wrong with sewer, because you have no camera, all plumbers have camera."
    And back and forth it went...I had a hunch about this guy and the bill, mainly because he asked if I was "side jobbing" or on company time. I also took pics of the flooded basement in case he tries to say I did it.

He also seems to think there is no added charge if I did have a camera, and could use it. If I had one, I would charge a user fee, or a heck of a higher wage.

Also, he did shoo me off before I could turn the circut breaker back on to his sump. We turned off breakers marked as such because sewerage was spraying on the outlets. I was a nice guy and left him a message that he should do this.

Go with you gut feeling...

Re: Rod job (and customer) from He!! Today

I had 2 bad calls today

One a lady calls me 3 times asking how muck to unclog her toilet. I told her she has already called me and the price was still the same as the first 2 calls.
    She asked me if I would do it for 50.00 cash?
    Here's the good part
    Can she make payments....rotflmao
    I said (Thanks to Rick) Bring me the stool to the shop and I`ll do it for 50.00 and yes you can make payments and when your all paid off you can have it back

The other one called me for a main line plug. Got ready to head out and she called and said another guy was gonna get there faster then we were. I said cool, use em then. She said if he cant get it cleared I`ll call you. I said please don't as I wont make it there fast enough for you. She said "What" I said "NO really please dont call me I don't want to waste any more of my weekend dealing with price shoppers like yourself "click" man that felt so good! I`ve been sick all week and have a short fuse right now....lol
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
      I had 2 bad calls today

One a lady calls me 3 times asking how muck to unclog her toilet. I told her she has already called me and the price was still the same as the first 2 calls.
      She asked me if I would do it for 50.00 cash?
      Here's the good part
      Can she make payments....rotflmao
      I said (Thanks to Rick) Bring me the stool to the shop and I`ll do it for 50.00 and yes you can make payments and when your all paid off you can have it back

The other one called me for a main line plug. Got ready to head out and she called and said another guy was gonna get there faster then we were. I said cool, use em then. She said if he cant get it cleared I`ll call you. I said please don't as I wont make it there fast enough for you. She said "What" I said "NO really please dont call me I don't want to waste any more of my weekend dealing with price shoppers like yourself "click" man that felt so good! I`ve been sick all week and have a short fuse right now....lol

i am glad you did say that some people need that so they can see how much of a jerk they are so good for you
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Sewer Rat, I've had that customer before but I don't have the _alls to say that to them. My buddy does and he'll tell them he was augering toilets all day Tuesday for free but today is not Tuesday.

Comment

Years ago we got a call for a broken water main. When we showed up there was already a few other companies there and the guy said the fastest one there with the cheapest price got the job. As we all knew each other we all left and went to breakfast together and left the guy there by himself. The guy lived on the main street and for weeks after that I drove by and saw his yard tore up and nothing getting done. It turned out the cheapest guy never finished and the rest of us refused to go back.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Years ago we got a call for a broken water main. When we showed up there was already a few other companies there and the guy said the fastest one there with the cheapest price got the job. As we all knew each other we all left and went to breakfast together and left the guy there by himself. The guy lived on the main street and for weeks after that I drove by and saw his yard tore up and nothing getting done. It turned out the cheapest guy never finished and the rest of us refused to go back.

Mark

Now that i love lol. I have done that once, and it felt great LOL
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
              I should have gone with my gut feeling...
              Get a call about water in the basement this morning, possible sump pump issue? Nope, after 20 questions it sounds like a sewer backup.
              Arrive at the house, go in, wonderful smell awaits. 1st floor kitchen, hall to basement, hall bath, food pantry, are all flooded with FRESH clumps of raw sewerage. I go down stairs, same thing...luckly, no carpet. Clumps on the drywall from it running down the register vents etc. etc. etc.
              House is 20 years old. Cleanout outside? Nope. Pull toilet? No Sir, I will really flood out 1st floor. Two story house is completely full. I drill a hole in the basement wall cleanout and let her drain.

Use k1500, every head I used will only go about 4 feet, bind up, and out comes paper towels...thick ones. I get the dumb look from homeowner. Clog does break, still never made it past 4ft. Can I camera? No, dont have one. Tell H/O if it backs up, call me and I will have a camera sent out. Refuses paper flush test, call for professional restoration company, and cleanup help while we were waiting for it to drain. BTW it ran into ejector below the C/O when it was draining.
              Give customer the bill for 3-1/2 hours...
              Customer "I must pay for you to clean up your equipment?"
              Plumber "Yes. It is 10 till 1pm. Do you want me to round down?"
              Customer "Yes, down."
              Plumber "No, I wont do that, I did wave the travel time."
              Customer "But you did not tell me what is wrong with sewer, because you have no camera, all plumbers have camera."
              And back and forth it went...I had a hunch about this guy and the bill, mainly because he asked if I was "side jobbing" or on company time. I also took pics of the flooded basement in case he tries to say I did it.

He also seems to think there is no added charge if I did have a camera, and could use it. If I had one, I would charge a user fee, or a heck of a higher wage.

Also, he did shoo me off before I could turn the circut breaker back on to his sump. We turned off breakers marked as such because sewerage was spraying on the outlets. I was a nice guy and left him a message that he should do this.

Go with you gut feeling...
              There is actually alot to critique there, but it will start a huge fight, and im not in the mood right now
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                Two story house is completely full. I drill a hole in the basement wall cleanout and let her drain.
                Not sure if I'm tracking, you mean you flooded a basement with sewage instead of going on the roof?
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Yea, I'm a little lost on this one too.

1st floor AND basement have sewage backing up? Where did it come from...toilet?

And why was there sewage spraying on his outlets from the sump pump?

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                    There is actually alot to critique there, but it will start a huge fight, and im not in the mood right now
                    Not with me, let'r rip!!

Check out my post, I did not flood the basement. The outlet for the pit was right by where it was draining and we were afraid it would get wet...it was not a GFCI.

Comment

every once in a while it feels good to let go, got a call sewer backed up tell the customer ill see you in about 1 hour,get there in about 45 mins wait about 10 and this brand new caddie come roaring up this hot shot jumps out we go inside down into the basement and walk into your typical mess cleanouts brass covered by about 4 inches of gravy and you already know your going to get a bath removing them ala pipe wrench and 3 lb sledge, so i give this guy the price this goes back about 10 years ago 145$ and he blows a gasket demeaning me the trade and when this happens i usually walk but he struck a nerve so i asked him what he did for a living, he say thats not my concearn so i said fine how about we trade spots he says what do you mean i said well go grab my sewer cleaner {k1500} throw it in the back seat of your car and to really set the mood ill go crap in your back seat then you can tell me what its woth to you to clean up the mess, i was ready for a fight and to my surprise this jack a@# looked at me and said never thought of it that way apologized and even gave me a 20$ tip when i was done. in our line of work you never know what lurks behind the front door until it opens, and when it does???????????

Comment

Northilliniosplumber....your story is a great example of WHY I do upfront pricing. Yes, I still get customer's exactly like that, BUT we argue BEFORE the work is done, and if they don't like the price, I LEAVE.
                        I have done time and materials for years, and all to often we got stiffed.
                        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Not to turn this into a flat rate topic, but that is about the only way to go. I don't need someone watching the clock and complaining about the time I had to run to the supplier for something, or docking me for the time I took lunch. Most of my customers don't even ask the price and are just glad to get the work done. I am going to have to raise my prices, because I find many of my customers saying, "Is that it?"
                          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                            Not to turn this into a flat rate topic, but that is about the only way to go. I don't need someone watching the clock and complaining about the time I had to run to the supplier for something, or docking me for the time I took lunch. Most of my customers don't even ask the price and are just glad to get the work done. I am going to have to raise my prices, because I find many of my customers saying, "Is that it?"
                            dead on brother

Comment

Working...
                            X