X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Backflow Valves

Is there any way to tell if a house has one of these installed in it? Some homeowners might know, but a lot of them won't. There is suppose to be access to them, but I'm sure a lot of basements are finished right over the access. If a snake goes through one, I'm guessing on the way back, it'll probably break the internals.

Thoughts??
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Re: Sewer Backflow Valves

I'm positive that I've banged through a few of these in my days and didn't realize it.

I'd like to see how the insurance would deal with a flooding "after" someone had rodded the drain and through discovery found out that the flap was damaged by cleaning................but by which drain cleaner?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
      Is there any way to tell if a house has one of these installed in it? Some homeowners might know, but a lot of them won't. There is suppose to be access to them, but I'm sure a lot of basements are finished right over the access. If a snake goes through one, I'm guessing on the way back, it'll probably break the internals.

Thoughts??
      The best way is to know what areas would require a backwater valve. The only time you need a backwater valve is when there are flood rims below the upstream manhole. One of the things you should do is check out manhole locations if you suspect you are in an area which would require them.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dunbar - Hmmm.... good call! Unless the current owner is the original owner and says that you broke it since it was the first time it has ever been snaked. That would be a tough situation to get out of.

Mark - That makes sense. I wasn't sure though if some plumbers like to put them in, even when not necessary.
        Last edited by HouseOfAtlas; 04-26-2008, 11:00 PM.
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          The best way is to know what areas would require a backwater valve. The only time you need a backwater valve is when there are flood rims below the upstream manhole. One of the things you should do is check out manhole locations if you suspect you are in an area which would require them.

Mark

Tis true......until you see what an idiot homeowner did with a steal of a deal when those are $15.99 because they can't even give them away,

and they install them because their plumbing backed up once, not because of a chronic situation where municipalities are burdened with combination or storm water infiltrations into their sanitary sewer systems.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
            Tis true......until you see what an idiot homeowner did with a steal of a deal when those are $15.99 because they can't even give them away,

and they install them because their plumbing backed up once, not because of a chronic situation where municipalities are burdened with combination or storm water infiltrations into their sanitary sewer systems.
            Even better yet because then it is an illegal installation and you can charge them for the time it takes to retrieve your cable. I have only been stuck in one but I had 200' of 3/4" in the line. I was able to run my machine in reverse and it corkscrewed out. The problem came at the 100' make when it hit the couplings. It took a bit of time but eventually I was able to get it back.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

a camera is the best way to tell if and where i backwater valve is installed.

i had a job a couple of months ago that the plumber only had a 2'' c/o to access the main. when i camered the line i also discovered that there was a b/w valve buried under the house crawl space approx. 6' deep. actually the location protected the entire house sewer system. this being illegal. it only is suppose to protect the fixtures below the upper manhole.

at least we know where the valve is and how to get a snake around it.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

In my areas if you have a backflow valve, there is an access to it. Thats where diagnosing comes in. If your diagnosing correctly, you should be able to see it. Marks point is perfect too, thats another great way to tell.
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I bet Chicago has them, by the thousands. Combo sewers, the great tunnel cant hold it all.

Comment

In my state, backwater valves are required - now. But they haven't always been. They're only required on basement fixtures, but with so many idiot DIYers they could be anywhere.

And they're usually set beneath a space earmarked for the dryer rather than out in the open, so you can't see them. Sometimes they are visible, which is a real plus.

Comment

Sadly, alot of plumbers don't even know what a backwater valve is.

I have a good handle on my coverage areas, where the valves are. If I even have a little feeling, I take the time to diagnose.

A little smarts and you will be fine, they are pretty much in standard areas, so a camera is usually not needed.

On the newer houses they are back under the house, and in older homes they are on the main as soon as it exits the foundation.

When I replace the buried ones, I always use the telescopic or extended backwater valves. bring to grade and then use a 6" fip and raised head plug.

I have been stuck only once, and it was not very much fun,the old style with the brass flapper suck. they won't break. run lots of water and play with the cable.

I have also had a few camera calls of sewers backing up and previous drain cleaners breaking the plastic disk and it stopping the drain up.

Good times
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Mine can usually be found close to the basement bath - before the wye that splits upstairs and downstairs. In theory, you can rod the main sewer without going through the backwater valve, but you can't rod the basement fixtures. So, going through a full-sized cleanout at the base of the larger stack is safe, but there will likely be a 2" vent on the basement fixtures, and it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X