X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How are you cleaning main lines?!

Ben, I hope everyone ends up with the same result-isn't that the point of hiring a plumber? Having a cleared line at the end of the day

you spell like Dan Quayle
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Most of the drains i do have a fresh air inlet at the curb. So your pushing the cable up to the house. I use a Spartan 2001 with .66 cable and a 2in double blade for the mains. Reason for the 2in is because 99% of the time its 5in terra cotta in the front yard and 4in cast under the house. So i dont want to get cable stuck, and we all know what can happen with terra cotta joint.

I will jet them alot to pull all the debris back and out to the city sewer.

Lately anymore ive been just straight up jetting.
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

With my Km1500 sectional I start with a funnel Auger to punch a hole through the blockage and try to get rid of the water in the pipe and when I pull it out I can tell how bad the blockage is as the roots compress inside the Auger and then put down a shacktooth cutter as it will compress if I cannot clear the blockage with it and will not get stuck unless the pipe has collapsed, but I find after putter down over six cables 90' then I am really into hard work, but I have found if I haven`t cleared in an hour then I am not going to clear it and then I have to get my mate with his digger.
        Joey we are talking about blockages arn`t we and not somehting else.???

Tony

Comment

There are only three reasons for any drain to ever plug up. Improper installation, porous materials that need replacement, or the homeowner is putting something down the drain that is not supposed to be there. Grease, paper towels, sanitary napkins, silverware, toys, etc. With a drain cleaner I only have the capability to fix one of these problems. I have never used anything but a 2" cutter with the auger line on a main sewer. This will push any blockage out to the street sewer and does a great job with roots. In the case of roots some of the roots get cut off, and some of them will stay to cause problems later on. Let them call me in another six months and we will do it again. No sense in running your cable down twice only to shear off that extra 1/2" that will be back in a month. When they get tired of seeing me as often as they see their dentist then we can replace the line with PVC.
          Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

The biggest things for me are assessing the extent of the problem, choosing an access point, and choosing a tool. I will always work from downstream up to the clog if I can, and jet if I can.

If I am snaking, from upstream, I poke it with something small, maybe get it to drain, see what I pull back if anything and see condition of tool, draw some conclusions, choose the next action. Sometimes finish with something big, sometimes jet now that I have drainage, sometimes camera to see what I am getting into.

In general, I want to either camera to verify all well, or put something within an inch of the diameter if the line I'm working in through it, again to verify line clear, not just temporarily open. As others I also like to snake with water running once I have drainage to move out what I knock loose, and to clean up the cable.

I'm with Gear... makes me happy to put a small hole in it and get drainage; now I can camera if I want and I'm no longer worried about the upstairs units flooding me; the tension has gone and I can address it at my leisure.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i'm surprised at some of the responses. a 2'' cutter in a 4'' or 6'' line might stir up muck, but does a very poor job on roots.

with all the camera work i've done over 10+ years of having them, i can tell you that a 2'' cutter might clear the line, but it doesn't clean the line.

i do a lot of follow up work for other co's and it amazes me to see the line when it was just snaked a day or week before. half the time the camera will not even pass through.

remember that 90-95% of the line is clean. it's the 5-10% that needs to be cleaned. that's what drain cleaning is about. it's not about the exercise or how fast you can get in and go.

with the thousands of lines i've snaked over 30+ years, i've only been stuck 2 times where i couldn't get out. i would say the chances of getting stuck are not that great. i am more worried of area drains that never get maintained than i am of a sewer that is working day in and day out.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Hooray Rick!
                That 2" cutter business is for when things are bad.Roots are common in older houses in this part and any main line cleaning should last EASILY 2-5 years if not more until the roots grow back.If your not restoring the diameter pretty close at those joints where the roots have penetrated you might as well mount toilets with out any bolts.
                End *my* rant.

As far as getting stuck....I have had my cable go through some old Orangeburg pipe.(Tar paper pipe! Really.) and some bad offsets which I've passed with no return.
                While getting stuck is a pain it's then the beginning of a process that needed to happen.

Last week I had a line where I could not sink double blades through so I ran the camera down. The line had broken just last year and they did a pour in place relining.
                In doing so they throttled it down at that spot to a 2" opening!

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i'm surprised at some of the responses. a 2'' cutter in a 4'' or 6'' line might stir up muck, but does a very poor job on roots.

with all the camera work i've done over 10+ years of having them, i can tell you that a 2'' cutter might clear the line, but it doesn't clean the line.

i do a lot of follow up work for other co's and it amazes me to see the line when it was just snaked a day or week before. half the time the camera will not even pass through.

remember that 90-95% of the line is clean. it's the 5-10% that needs to be cleaned. that's what drain cleaning is about. it's not about the exercise or how fast you can get in and go.

with the thousands of lines i've snaked over 30+ years, i've only been stuck 2 times where i couldn't get out. i would say the chances of getting stuck are not that great. i am more worried of area drains that never get maintained than i am of a sewer that is working day in and day out.

rick.

Its true that a 2in cutter is not for the 4in lines. But ive been using 2in cutters on 4-6 mains for the last 13yrs. I want to pop the line open, then jet and video the line. Either way you look at it, your never CLEANING a line with a cable. CLEANING a line is with a jetter. The chances of getting stuck are almost none when snaking sure. Most of my runs are anywhere btwn 25-75ft.

Now if its a job i know that has roots, and that customer is not going to put out the money to properly clean the line, then i put the bigger cutters on.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                    Roots are common in older houses in this part and any main line cleaning should last EASILY 2-5 years if not more until the roots grow back.If your not restoring the diameter pretty close at those joints where the roots have penetrated you might as well mount toilets with out any bolts.
                    End *my* rant.

As far as getting stuck....I have had my cable go through some old Orangeburg pipe.(Tar paper pipe! Really.) and some bad offsets which I've passed with no return.
                    While getting stuck is a pain it's then the beginning of a process that needed to happen.

Last week I had a line where I could not sink double blades through so I ran the camera down. The line had broken just last year and they did a pour in place relining.
                    In doing so they throttled it down at that spot to a 2" opening!
                    Jay,

The drain cleaning guy that I work with sometimes has to go back every 6-8 months to some residential houses due to roots. The pitch could be bad of course, but roots can grow back pretty quick from what he has told me. He has been cleaning drains for 20+ years, but he could be wrong LOL!

As for the line breaking and being fixed, what part of Minneapolis was that in? Or was a suburb? Just curious.
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                      Jay,

The drain cleaning guy that I work with sometimes has to go back every 6-8 months to some residential houses due to roots. The pitch could be bad of course, but roots can grow back pretty quick from what he has told me. He has been cleaning drains for 20+ years, but he could be wrong LOL!

As for the line breaking and being fixed, what part of Minneapolis was that in? Or was a suburb? Just curious.

Thats the beauty of a Warthog and a RIDGID seesnake. Those roots wont be growing back in 6-8 months. Cabling a line, sure they can grow back every 6-8 months. Once you have roots, you will always have roots. The Warthog will cut the roots out of the joints as well, its proven i have hundreds if not thousands of videos of the Warthog cutting roots from the pipe and joints. Root X is a good product as well.

Comment

How about I cable them and then use the Root X

I will probably need to get a jetter once I get my business going.

Okay, sorry for hi-jacking this thread, Jay.
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                          How about I cable them and then use the Root X

I will probably need to get a jetter once I get my business going.

Okay, sorry for hi-jacking this thread, Jay.

Ya that works as well. Talk to Westcoast, he does that alot

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                            the Warthog cutting roots from the pipe and joints.
                            So your cutting joints????? Not a good thing If you removed the roots from the joints you now have a leak and the root problem will be even worse next time
                            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                              So your cutting joints????? Not a good thing If you removed the roots from the joints you now have a leak and the root problem will be even worse next time
                              no, the roots come in at the joints. he is just cutting and cleaning them to the full extent of the pipe and joint.

the roots will grow back, just like a bonsai tree, but that's where the root x comes in.

if you spend time with a jetter and concentrate on the problems/ joints, the line will be as clean as it can possibly get. depending on haw well the root x gets to the roots and how aggressive the roots are, will determine how soon you will have to come back. if the roots are treated annually with root x. they should continue to be held at bay.

of course with a camera in the line to watch and monitor, it's a no brainier to see a good finished job. without the camera you're just guessing.

4 years ago i was going to buy one of the first trailer jetters with a camera on it. problem was the camera would only go into 6''+ pipe and the delivery date was too far off.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                if the roots are treated annually with root x. they should continue to be held at bay.
                                Rick,

If one uses a cutter to cut the root / clean the drain, and then Root X is applied, from your experience, do the roots ever grow back if the use of Root X is applied annually or every 6 months? Or does it hold back the majority of them?

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                                X