Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How are you cleaning main lines?!

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
    Rick,

If one uses a cutter to cut the root / clean the drain, and then Root X is applied, from your experience, do the roots ever grow back if the use of Root X is applied annually or every 6 months? Or does it hold back the majority of them?
    root x will work if applied properly. that means that you put in the proper amount and it stays there at least 4 hours without use. best results are to apply immediately after cutting while the root ends are open.

if you apply to a line full of roots. the root x will eventually kill them, but then they still have to decay and wash away. this can take several months to years to wash away.

cut first, then root x is the way to go.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I`m thinking Round-up with a sope mix for my jetter when I do my line at home but I wouldnt want to use it on anyone elses line as it it will cut down on my work load
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        I`m thinking Round-up with a sope mix for my jetter when I do my line at home but I wouldnt want to use it on anyone elses line as it it will cut down on my work load
        I read this twice to figure out you referring to the weed killer not Ridgid when you said roundup
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          I`m thinking Round-up with a soap mix for my jetter when I do my line at home but I wouldnt want to use it on anyone elses line as it it will cut down on my work load

at first i thought you meant the ridgid round up

i've thought of this many years ago. problem is putting round up into a sewer is illegal. in fact even copper sulfate is illegal here in calif now.

will round up work on roots not exposed to the sun light?

be very careful with chemicals in your jetter. the pump seals are typically not chemical resistant. viton is the seal you need.

try a down stream chemical injector that doesn't go through the pump

please video a before and after so we can see if it really works

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I`m pretty sure it`s illegal here too but I`m not above braking the law once in a while
            I have a big 2 story house that has 2 sewers. One of em I replaced and the other one is in bad shape. It`s clay and every joint is broken. I have to clean that sewer once a year. I would replace it but it`s 9` deep and I don't have time. I remember how much of a pain the other sewer was to replace I will some day replace it just not any time soon as I cant make money doing my own work....rotflmao
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Jay,

The drain cleaning guy that I work with sometimes has to go back every 6-8 months to some residential houses due to roots. The pitch could be bad of course, but roots can grow back pretty quick from what he has told me. He has been cleaning drains for 20+ years, but he could be wrong LOL!

As for the line breaking and being fixed, what part of Minneapolis was that in? Or was a suburb? Just curious.
              Southwest 'burb of Edina.

Comment

BTW...
                Are some of you jetter guys going from outside cleanouts?
                We go with a jetter and a warthog when we can but in through a basement window and across the white carpet!!!!

Comment

In re rootx;

I've had good experience cableing and rootx-ing afterward. One job in particular, main line for a 4-plex, 4" clay, ~400' service, lousy access via 3" copper through a pulled toilet (no cleanout, roof vent not an option, etc.) I know I did a pathetic job of removing roots as I could only get about a 2" bit through the many bends. Was second company on site, first could not get into the line at all (proud of this; they charged more to fail than I did to suceed). rootxed at time of snaking, annually since then, 1 1/2 years now no recurrance.

Have a couple lines i am monitoring every six months. some roots, not enough to cause a stoppage at this time... had a previous stoppage some years ago. just rootxed w/o cableing to see effect. at six mo, looked exactly the same as did at first. will see again soon. thinking roots are dead just still hanging there as they had not grown in any further.

Had a similar line rootxed no cable a few years earlier, had a stoppage, cabled to get it open, camera, see roots, jetted to clean up line, re cameraed, all gone. this is not typical for me as jetter only 6gpm, not enough typically for me to cut roots effectively, esp as I just made a quick pass to clean up line to allow better assessment with camera. Think they were all dead from rootx and so jetted off easily.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Thanks for the story, Ace! It's good to hear that the product works so well. It might take some work away, but some people do want their main lines done annually and it might be a breeze without having roots every time.
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

That is what the product was designed for is an annual treatment until your line can be replaced. It’s not designed to take work away from you and if you do the registration program it will help with repeat business. We all know that when you got a root problem cutting them out is like pruning them they will just come back. Some guys use it until the home owner can afford a replacement and some offer it as a preventative maintenance program. Some do it every six months but if done right you won’t need to do it but once a year. I have talked to a lot of home owners that use RootX and some are so paranoid about a back up they want it done more than once a year just to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLRootX View Post
                        That is what the product was designed for is an annual treatment until your line can be replaced. It’s not designed to take work away from you and if you do the registration program it will help with repeat business. We all know that when you got a root problem cutting them out is like pruning them they will just come back. Some guys use it until the home owner can afford a replacement and some offer it as a preventative maintenance program. Some do it every six months but if done right you won’t need to do it but once a year. I have talked to a lot of home owners that use RootX and some are so paranoid about a back up they want it done more than once a year just to make sure.
                        Dan,

I shouldn't of said that it takes work away. That was wrong wording on my side I just meant that one wouldn't need to snake the drain if roots are the main problem, but plumbers/drain cleaners would still get repeated business from owners since they would apply RootX annual or every six months.
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Jay,

The drain cleaning guy that I work with sometimes has to go back every 6-8 months to some residential houses due to roots. The pitch could be bad of course, but roots can grow back pretty quick from what he has told me. He has been cleaning drains for 20+ years, but he could be wrong LOL!
                          As for the line breaking and being fixed, what part of Minneapolis was that in? Or was a suburb? Just curious.
                          6 to 8 months!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
                          Time to be fixed or fired!!!! 2-5 years! Easy.
                          I am a 16 year sewer rat.I can stand behind everything I do.I give *most* my drain cleaning a 6 month warranty.(TB's and grinders aside)
                          BTW the sewer I went through was that goofy 2025 pvc pipe.I may have screwed this up too, it's the thin walled stuff,I went back at the dig just to see what the hell I screwed up and there that stuff was I blew clean through it.D'oh!The entire place was built on an old swamp.Plymouth off of 55 near where hwy 6 starts.New area.10 years old.
                          Last edited by Jay Mpls; 09-08-2008, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                            6 to 8 months!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
                            Time to be fixed or fired!!!! 2-5 years! Easy.
                            I am a 16 year sewer rat.I can stand behind everything I do.I give *most* my drain cleaning a 6 month warranty.(TB's and grinders aside)
                            BTW the sewer I went through was that goofy 2025 pvc pipe.I may have screwed this up too, it's the thin walled stuff,I went back at the dig just to see what the hell I screwed up and there that stuff was I blew clean through it.D'oh!The entire place was built on an old swamp.Plymouth off of 55 near where hwy 6 starts.New area.10 years old.
                            Well, it's not really your fault. Either way, I'm surprised they use that thin walled stuff.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Working...
                            X