Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you cleaning main lines?!

I have forever figured out weather its a 4" main all the way
    or a 4 then into a 6" and just go with that sized double blades.
    Only on real bad root jobs I'll drop down to a single then go back with doubles.If I can't get through.
    BUT..
    The other day doing a newer sewer, I got a cable stuck (And good!)
    this was 4" pvc so i ran 4" doubles slightly compressed together and went out of a 90 that had busted because part of the line had settled 3-4".
    So,,,Are you running out with singles first then going back...?
    I have been given advice to run a singe or double 2" through EVERYTHING first.
    Sounds like bad advice in a rootbound main.
    Bear with bad spelling and grammatical errors. It's 4a.m. and I just got back from a root bound emergency.Big nasty thick roots. Pulled back a 5 gal. bucket worth.
    The 7500 and Mytana red flex cable and double 6" blades did a fine job as always.

Re: How are you cleaning main lines?!

i always start off with the large blades and see if i can power through. if the spiral root saw doesn't get through, i'll scale down and use a smaller root saw.

i also look at the color and condition of my cutters to see if i'm cutting or grinding a joint, dirt?

the last thing i want to do is drill a hole into the stoppage to let the water/ waste out. drilling with an auger can get you stuck. it can drill a small hole, grab big roots and not be able to pull back through the small hole you bored.

fortunately i have a good track record of my customers mains and i know the bad few. the first timers or referrals i typically ask questions and get a time line.

if i camera a line, then i have the footage and distances of the bad parts.
    i can easily work my sectional cable to the exact footage and home in on the problems. the drum cable is hard to maintain my footage marks.

i've tried paint, shrink tubing and nothing holds up. sectional has a built in mark at every section.

i will use a 4x6'' when i have a good picture of the system and max distance. those cutters are designed to be a finishing cutter and not a primary cutter. the spring has been lost/ damaged in the past and without a spring, they're useless.

now with a jetter/ trailer with warthog, i can conquer the world

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

On most 4" main line I`ll start with a 3" double blade. If it wont make it through the clog I`ll pull out and go with an auger to open the line and follow up with a double blade. The only time I will run a double blade the same size as the main line is when I know there are no broken joints to get stuck in.
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Rick I fully agree with the jetter and warthog but not every basement here is easily accessible with the jetter hose over the white carpet!

Comment

I start with a 3" single, then move on to a 3" full blade.

I then run a 4 to 6 expandable at an additional cost with a chemical treatment.
          sigpic

Robert

Comment

I go the opposite. I start with a straight auger and then move to a bigger blade later.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I start with a 3" spiral root saw. If I camera and know the pipe is in good shape I'll finish with a 4" spiral root saw.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

if i go into a line typically 4-5" mains in my area,i always go with the auger first on a sectional machine...if it bounds up i keep working it till theres no more problems ...then ill run a spiral saw to finish

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  the last thing i want to do is drill a hole into the stoppage to let the water/ waste out.
                  What's so bad about that?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I want all that head pressure behind the stoppage, I always fill my mains up before I clear them.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      What's so bad about that?
                      Rather than just poke a hole in the middle, he likes to know it has pushed through to the city connection. He can typically tell when the stoppage has cleared completely.

If you just poke a hole, it is a temporary fix until it plugs again. Which will be sooner than if the stoppage was cleared properly.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        Rather than just poke a hole in the middle, he likes to know it has pushed through to the city connection. He can typically tell when the stoppage has cleared completely.

If you just poke a hole, it is a temporary fix until it plugs again. Which will be sooner than if the stoppage was cleared properly.
                        Thanks Joey but I think this post shows that you two need something else to talk about. I guess Rick has told you this a couple times.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Thanks Joey but I think this post shows that you two need something else to talk about. I guess Rick has told you this a couple times.
                          Nope. Gone to work with him enough to know The sad thing is that I had to explain it to you
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

You say potato, I say potatoe. I always use a full size cutting auger as my final pass. Me and Rick achieve the same results, just go about it differently.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                              I want all that head pressure behind the stoppage, I always fill my mains up before I clear them.
                              Me too, water's always running while the cleaning the line.
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X