X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax write off ?

So, a little old lady calls today with a plugged tub drain. Right off the bat she claims shes on a fixed income etc.. you know the drill. Well when I get the her home I can tell she really is a widow with out much money. Not the type that claim they have no money yet a 2007 Esclade is parked in the drive way and land scapers are doing the lawn.
    She says it hasn't worked right for as long as she can remember, and 3yrs ago she had another co. get it kinda working and, thats the way its been ever since, until yesterday when it just stopped.

After trying to snake (6" and couldn't pass) I tried to pull the stopper. The friggin thing would not budge, I pulled for all I was worth. I plunged and got it "kinda" working.
    Knowing I had to pull the stopper, I looked for an access panel. Of course none. I ended up pulling the toilet to get to an 8" section of wall I pulled apart. I somehow managed to get a wrench in to dismantle the piping then pry the heck out of the stopper to free it. Put everything back together and it worked like a charm. Once I was bolting the toilet I realized I left my favorite pair of pliers behind the wall.(too late, I left them).

Anyway, I only ended up charging her $100. I was there 2 1/2 hrs. I just didn't have the heart to charge her what I should have.

My question is, any way to write off discounts/charity work?
    If yes, how do you keep track of it?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Tax write off ?

I believe you cannot write off your time or a service call. However, you could write off parts, pliers she still has, and tangible items.

You should check with an accountant though.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Gene, that's karma and you'll get it back. I know we can't run a charity but helping people in need is worth it. I'm not religous by any means but I do believe that when you help others, it'll come back positively on you.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
        Gene, that's karma and you'll get it back. I know we can't run a charity but helping people in need is worth it. I'm not religous by any means but I do believe that when you help others, it'll come back positively on you.
        ditto!

Comment

Gene was the lady happy? I hope so. You did a good deed today
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

i use to donate a free camera inspection for a silent auction at my local elementary school. it raised some money for the school and i figured i could write off the lost labor

accountant said no it was a nice gesture and not a write off.

what bothered me was the fact that the winners of the silent auction over the 3 times i did it, were my customers anyways. so they basically got a camera inspection for 33% of normal cost and they got the write off too boot

i ended up with a happy existing customer.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i ended up with a happy existing customer.

rick.
              AND you helped the school which is what the fundraiser was all about. We got to write off our purchases
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

OK now thats just crazy that you mention religion cause she said for some reason my ad stood out and she thought it was god pointing her to me. she blessed me several times and said she would pray for me. I too am not very religious but it makes you wonder.
                Hopefully the State Trooper sees Karma the same way if I get pulled over before I get the van reinspected (2mts over due )
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                  OK now thats just crazy that you mention religion cause she said for some reason my ad stood out and she thought it was god pointing her to me. she blessed me several times and said she would pray for me. I too am not very religious but it makes you wonder.
                  Hopefully the State Trooper sees Karma the same way if I get pulled over before I get the van reinspected (2mts over due )
                  You have already been given a 2 month reprieve. Doesn't she just make up for all the hard times customers have given you?
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                  X