Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: soap on a rope

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
    Clearing a stoppage from the roof vent is a poor cleaning indeed.
    Why? I do it all the time and it works great. Remember that rock story I told you? No way you could have done that through the toilet bend. As long as you're using the right cutters, it's a piece of cake. Also, when you have a main line stoppage and have to remove a toilet, that crap in the toilet has to go somewhere. Snake it through the roof vent and the extra head pressure helps to open the stoppage up.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
      Not to many basements or what? Or do you not have plumbing going out the basement floor? Man 1.5 to 3' would be awesome.
      Theres a few but most of em got C/O`s when they were built. Most of the time we can just open the C/O in the basement if there isn't one
      I love that part of my job
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        when working on a roof do you where a harness with a safety rope tied to some thing so you cant fall off
        It isn't that dangerous-or at least that's what he tells me.
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
          Clearing a stoppage from the roof vent is a poor cleaning indeed.

would you rather use a 4'' vent that is a straight shot into the 4'' main, or remove a toilet that is a 4x3'' closet bend, heel outlet and a bathroom floor that is going to get wet when the toilet is removed?

I would never attempt to clear a stoppage from a sewer that has never been cleaned before, this is asking for trouble.

at some point the sewer is going to plug. how would you fix it, if you would never attempt it?

out here, it is easy to give an estimate for a cleanout, without the use of a camera, most sewers are approx 3' in depth coming out of the house.

by all means, if you can accurately tell me where the sewer is as it comes out from a concrete patio, then stairs and into a planter. you will save me the hassle of going onto the roof and dragging my camera up there.

with the camera, i will know exactly where the sewer exits, the depth, and the real problem along with the total distance to the city main. by knowing this, i can properly do a repair, or cleanout in the most feasible place. there is no guess and there is no need to pad the estimate as i already know what i'm up against.

the $300 for the inspection, video and location will easily be offset by the cost of installing a c/o at the proper location.

12 years ago, we had to pretty much guess at a proper location. today, i can use my camera to give the best possible location.

so the camera is not making me extra money. it's actually saving the customer from a wrong location that is overpriced to cover the unknown. plus i know that i will be installing the c/o at the best location possible.

Glad you were able to get your cable removed.
          so was i. the purpose of this thread was to highlight the soap trick. without the soap, i would still be tugging. it actually lubed the cable and the roots.

in another 8 hours. i'll be on the roof with my camera

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Suck out the toilet with the shop vac, close the stopper on the bath tub, BAM no more water
            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
              It isn't that dangerous-or at least that's what he tells me.
              At least he (hopefully) doesn't do it in the snow. In December I was having my chimney fixed. They were supposed to come at 8AM. He called at 8:00 saying he was running late because of traffic, I told him I had snow on my roof (1/4"). He said that it didn't matter if it was bad he can just throw a hook over the gable. Got there, no hook, just bounded up on the roof.

Guy from the same company the week before was pretty heavyset. He basically jumped from the roof to the top of the chimney (only about 2 feet), climbed on top and was looking down all supported by the very think stainless steel chimney cap he later described as "rotting".

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                At least he (hopefully) doesn't do it in the snow.
                Nope! No snow or sleet or ice here in the heart of Los Angeles It barely even rains. He doesn't go on roofs in the rain.

Hopefully he doesn't go roof hoping either. . . .Rick if you don't don't tell me. I like thinking you are smarter than that
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

My question Rick is why not just jet it after you do the cleanout install? You will have already ran out your camera and since there has been no cleaning done to the line it will probably need a good jetting. And yea thanks for posting the soap thing I have done it before but it is one of those things I need to be reminded of sometimes as an option when I get pissed that my cable is stuck and the people are watching me and tapping there foot waiting
                  Last edited by Cuda; 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i think i would have jettetted iot from the roof with a strap on transmitter if i couldnet get past that bad spot, and then located the area and repair and install cleanouts there to kill two birds with one stone. here in Dallas if its on the city side they will come and unstopp it for free..)-;

Lonestar

Comment

well i camered the line and fortunately because of the camera, i was able to pinpoint a wye with a test cookie just before the sidewalk. this was at the 67' mark and my issues were at the 88' mark. anything from sidewalk out to center of the street/ saddle would require a bonded sewer contractor and big money.

i dug a 12'' x 12'' hole 2'3'' down and actually was able to pop the cookie off the wye. then i was in for a real fight with my 1.25'' sectional cable. the problem was in the street at 5'7'' deep at the gutter/ curb. the 6'' pipe was completely packed with roots. after using a couple of different cutters and then my 4''x 6'' expanding cutters i was able to completely remove the roots. the line is offset approx 1'' and has shifted allowing the roots to grow wild.

i extended the wye to the surface with a fernco band and abs 45.

with the use of the seesnake i was able to precisely locate and dig out the sewer wye. i will post photos later as i need to get to dinner.

total price with camera, snaking 100% clean and installing cleanout,
                      $848.00 very reasonable considering the job went from a total stoppage to a clean line. plus now they have a cleanout for future and a total run of 42' to city main for reference later.

rick.

sure i could have jetted, but it would have made a mess in the planter and would have been a lot more money for the trailer jetter.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Did you use the drill or your 1500 with the 1 1/4 cable?
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wow, good job rick. It sounds like you went the extra mile to make sure that line was working for your customer.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Wow, good job rick. It sounds like you went the extra mile to make sure that line was working for your customer.
                            Always. . .It took longer than he thought though. I went on the Revlon breast cancer walk and he went to this job. We were suppose to meet up at my work where we were having a Mother's Day Tea for the moms and a petting zoo/pony rides for the kids.

Rick never made it though
                            Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 05-11-2008, 12:06 AM.
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Did you use the drill or your 1500 with the 1 1/4 cable?
                              the drill allowed me to get in close to the area. i also have a short 4' section when 10' is too long when you hit real torque.

i made 3 passes with a 3'' spiral saw, 4'' pear and a 4'' x6'' expanding cutter.

video before and after.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X