• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soap on a rope

well not exactly

the mighty k-60 had a work out today.

i had a customer that i haven't seen since 2003

she's lived in the house for 45 years. as far as i know she has never had a main sewer issue, until today

of course no clean out. i went on the roof and spotted a 4'' vent line

problem was the roof was approx. 30' above the street. meaning that the stoppage could be a bear. i was right. tried the 7/8'' with the 3.5'' sawtooth cutter and couldn't get past 88' pulled out and cutter was clean. tried again. still no luck. 88' should put me into the 6'' pipe past the sidewalk.

informed the owner and the daughter (worked for her for 20+ years) that i can try the straight auger to punch a hole, but there is a chance i can get stuck they agreed and i went with the auger.

well you guessed it, i got stuck and the cable was 105' in. the toilet was flushing ok, just not great. i get the dish washing soap out and flush the toilet to help lube the cable.after an hour or so and some flushing, i get the cable to free.

i pulled back some roots. and a soapy cable.

the real issue was the vertical height and the distance out. plus 45 years of no track record. not to mention a root stoppage in a 6'' line.

saturday i go back with the camera. i will install a ground level cleanout.

so even though it was a ruff one, the k-60 with the help of some soap on a rope was able to save the day.

by the way the other guy was going to come the next day and attempt to dig up the line to install a c/o without snaking.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: soap on a rope

Rick

10mts off the ground to clear a blockage you are a better man than I am.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      well not exactly

the mighty k-60 had a work out today.

i had a customer that i haven't seen since 2003

she's lived in the house for 45 years. as far as i know she has never had a main sewer issue, until today

of course no clean out. i went on the roof and spotted a 4'' vent line

problem was the roof was approx. 30' above the street. meaning that the stoppage could be a bear. i was right. tried the 7/8'' with the 3.5'' sawtooth cutter and couldn't get past 88' pulled out and cutter was clean. tried again. still no luck. 88' should put me into the 6'' pipe past the sidewalk.

informed the owner and the daughter (worked for her for 20+ years) that i can try the straight auger to punch a hole, but there is a chance i can get stuck they agreed and i went with the auger.

well you guessed it, i got stuck and the cable was 105' in. the toilet was flushing ok, just not great. i get the dish washing soap out and flush the toilet to help lube the cable.after an hour or so and some flushing, i get the cable to free.

i pulled back some roots. and a soapy cable.

the real issue was the vertical height and the distance out. plus 45 years of no track record. not to mention a root stoppage in a 6'' line.

so even though it was a ruff one, the k-60 with the help of some soap on a rope was able to save the day.

by the way the other guy was going to come the next day and attempt to dig up the line to install a c/o without snaking.

rick.
      did he try snaking

Comment

I would not have been on that roof with a K-60 or anything else. Rick there is a right way to do that job and putting your life in danger is not one of em
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
          I would not have been on that roof with a K-60 or anything else. Rick there is a right way to do that job and putting your life in danger is not one of em
          I agree, there are better ways to have handled that job.
          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            did he try snaking
            i saw his quote after i finished. he was quoting to pull a toilet and attempt to clear the line. also a quote to dig up the planter and install a c/o.
            funny part was he couldn't do either that day as he didn't have the equipment on board.

i was still $80 less by going on the roof and no mess or toilet to deal with. and i was there for 3.5 hours on this one.

it wasn't as scary as you might think. the house is 15' elevated above the side walk and the roof is another 15'. so the scary part was the the 45 years of no stoppage, old lady secanario, and 6'' stoppage.

although a spiral cutter rolled off the roof and into the bushes. i saw it roll and couldn't find it. when i go back saturday with my camera. i'll bring my metal detector to find it. it's either up in the bushes 10' or buried in the ivy it's worth a shot as i think it's within a 10' circle.

i work for her daughter for the last 20+ years and see her at the bank almost every week. i couldn't walk from this one. hard to say no to an 80 year old widow.

i did take a couple of pictures, but have not posted them yet as it's mixed with the hundreds on the card.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Is this going to be an outside cleanout?? If so, it must be nice to only have to dig a few feet down to install a cleanout
              YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                Is this going to be an outside cleanout?? If so, it must be nice to only have to dig a few feet down to install a cleanout
                exactly.

the other persons quote was to install a c/o too. but not knowing where it is or how deep is just a guess.

my c/o estimate comes after i camera the line to locate and get a depth measurement. plus once i camera, i might find the real issue and install the c/o at the problem area.

at 88' out, i feel the issue is beyond the side walk. it's not allowed to install a c/o at that point.

i'm hoping for a 3' or less depth. at this depth i can dig 18'' x 24'' and not even get in the hole.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Most of em we install are only 1 1/2` to 3` deep. I just hand dig most of em. We do have some deep ones but most of em are no deeper then 3'
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Here in the mountians, the sewer depths can get crazy. I have heard of private sewer lines over 20' deep on some terrain here.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Most of em we install are only 1 1/2` to 3` deep. I just hand dig most of em. We do have some deep ones but most of em are no deeper then 3'
                      Not to many basements or what? Or do you not have plumbing going out the basement floor? Man 1.5 to 3' would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        Here in the mountians, the sewer depths can get crazy. I have heard of private sewer lines over 20' deep on some terrain here.

And I thought our 7-8+ feet below grade (outside) was bad.
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

up here in NY most of them are about 4' to 5' deep unless it is to a septic system then it is generally only 18" to 3' deep at most

Comment

Clearing a stoppage from the roof vent is a poor cleaning indeed.

I would never attempt to clear a stoppage from a sewer that has never been cleaned before, this is asking for trouble.

out here, it is easy to give an estimate for a cleanout, without the use of a camera, most sewers are approx 3' in depth coming out of the house.

Glad you were able to get your cable removed.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

when working on a roof do you where a harness with a safety rope tied to some thing so you cant fall off
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X