No announcement yet.

Jetter hose Friction loss question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter hose Friction loss question

OK here is my setup 10gpm pump at 2800psi, 300ft standard pressure washer hose on a reel used to get inside the building on a reel, trailer outside. Take hose say 100ft inside then use my 3/8 x 200' jetter hose and warthog to jet 4" main line. So there is 500' of hose being used. Question is if I cut down to say 100ft of PW hose then use my hand reel with 200' of jetter hose will it make a big difference in how my warthog cleans roots? I know all that extra hose must be gobbling up something but sometimes I can't get close enough parking and I need 300ft to get inside. If there was a big difference I could get more hose reels and have different lengths of PW hose on them but man these hose reels ain't cheap.
    Seattle Drain Service

Re: Jetter hose Friction loss question

Flow is more important than psi... make sure you are getting full flow. This is a positive displacement pump; it pumps a given amont of water for each revolution. That pump output is going somewhere. The only way you lose any is if the unloader is bypassing some flow. If you are running full rpm, and the unloader is not bypassing, and the pump is healthy, you are getting all the flow you will get w/o spinning the pump faster (tweak governer and overspeed everything a little, or switch pulleys/gears in pump drive to spin the pump faster...either of these may affect equipment life, but will probably be fine if you stay within reason).

What happens to pressure if you crank the unloader all the way in? Does it go up too high so you back it off? If so you are losing some flow to bypass. If this is the case, you can probably get some more flow through the nozzle by getting lager nozzle orifices, or by using larger diameter or a shorter run of hose as you suggest.

What limits you to 2800 psi? Anything? Or is that just what you get at max rpm with the unloader cranked? If so, and if your equipment is rated for the pressure, you can make more psi at the same flow by getting smaller nozzle orifices, which may help.

Put a high pressure t at the end of your full setup, put a few feet of hose on the end and put you nozzle on, put a gage on the other side of the t, stick the nozzle in a chunk of pipe and run the jetter. Read the gage; this is the pressure the nozzle is seeing, not the pressure at the gage on the manifold. That gage sees the hose losses as well. This information will help yor nozzle supplier to size orifices appropriately, and will tell you what you are losing through the hoses and fittings.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Jetter hose Friction loss question

stone age tools/ warthog can help you figure out the friction loss.

i'm assuming the standard pressure washer hose is 3/8'' id.

as ace has mentioned. install the tee just before the nozzle and get an accurate reading of flow and psi. you can repeat this as you swap hoses. don't mess with the unloader or the rpm as all of this will affect the readings.

you should be able to catch the waste water in a drum or 5 gallon bucket.

phoebe it is