1 1/2" galv trap

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 1/2" galv trap

i just tried to clear a 1 1/2" galv floor drain. upstairs kitchen sink, ties into a utility sink and washing machine and than the floor drain, no cleanouts anywhere i ran my k380 through the trap i was only able to get it about 12'.when the washing machine drains it backs up in the floor drain. how or what would you guys do to get this flowing?
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: 1 1/2" galv trap

Is the floor drain on the 2nd floor as well, or 1st floor?
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

If what you are doing isn't working, change something; technique, point of access, or tool are about your only choices. Agree explain layout in more detail if you want advice on alternative access.
      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Can you go thru the washing machine trap/discharge?

Comment

laundry sink washing machine and floor drain are in basement. the people dont have alot of money i didnt charge for the work ive already done, looking for a possible solution. the washing machine trap is also 1 1/2" i couldnt get through there either
          Mike

Comment

Try a smaller machine like the K39 in the washer trap.

Comment

I just did the same layout yesterday with my k39af I had to take the trap off the laundry tub but even after repeated reamings I could not get the drain to really flow like it should and had to use my little electric jetter to clean it to the 4" worked really well. But yea a smaller 1/4' cable should at least get it flowing.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

If you own a K-50 or a K-60 you may want to run a 5/8" cable through it. The larger cable will help scourer the walls and remove old corrosion.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

its flowing, i can run a water bag in the trap and it flows fine, and i can run the sink and its fine it just cant keep up with the washing machine. its got an old drum trap on the cast iron sink that i dont want to own so i dont want to mess with that.
                  Mike

Comment

If I understood, the kitchen sink drops down into this line from upstairs? Can you pull the trap off the kitchen sink and run it from there? You would have more distance to the problem but wouldn't have a trap to work through.

I find when kitchen sinks and washers share lines you get lint from the washer mixing with grease from the sink... best addressed by jetting imo. Also I've seen where the screen or stocking they had over the washer outlet got blown off into the line...
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

what size jetter line would work with this? 1/4" what head?
                      Mike

Comment

A bent bulb auger head goes through fitting a little easier. If the drain lines are exposed in the basement, I would cut the washing machine drain line and run my biggest head possible. Repair the fitting with a fernco. To cut and repair an exposed line would take less than 5 minutes.

You mentioned a water bag. Don't forget that some of the excess water might be going up the line. Don't think it's all going down. Can you go through the vent? A 380 might be a little light for this. I run into the stoppage where the gal lines make a turn. The scale and rust just packs in there and it's very hard to go through. I think the best head to use would be a 1" 4 bladed cutter.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 05-13-2008, 09:25 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          A bent bulb auger head goes through fitting a little easier. If the drain lines are exposed in the basement, I would cut the washing machine drain line and run my biggest head possible. Repair the fitting with a fernco. To cut and repair an exposed line would take less than 5 minutes.

You mentioned a water bag. Don't forget that some of the excess water might be going up the line. Don't think it's all going down. Can you go through the vent? A 380 might be a little light for this. I run into the stoppage where the gal lines make a turn. The scale and rust just packs in there and it's very hard to go through. I think the best head to use would be a 1" 4 bladed cutter.
                          i told them thats what they were going to have to do they didnt have the money right now for it though
                          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
                            i told them thats what they were going to have to do they didnt have the money right now for it though
                            5 minutes and a $2 fernco. I think you might be able to eat the cost to get the job done.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Unless this is a relative or a girlfriend, I would be gone. Time to go in with a jackhammer and straighten that galvanized mess out. Tell them to call you when they get their stimulus check and you will give them back what is left.
                              Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                              X