Anyone used a K6800?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used a K6800?

In my never ending search for a used machine I came across a K6800. I did not operate it due to a rubber bushing that spins the drum was broken, As was the pastic that surrounds the drum and motor. I cannot find any old threads about this machine or on the Web. Other than the broken shroud and bushing it looked like a strong machine. Between a used K750 and a used K6800 any preferences? Any thoughts/opinions from the PRO's are as always appreciated.

Re: Anyone used a K6800?

are we talking the newer 6200 or an older model enclosed aluminum drum 6800?

i'll compare to a 6200 as the 6800 i believe was discontinued many years ago.

the 750 will run both 3/4'' cable and 5/8'' cable.

the 6200 will run 5/8'' cable.

6200 is a better built machine, better motor , direct drive, frame, auto feeder.

truthfully, i would still go for the 750 as the 3/4'' cable is more important than the added features.

we did discuss the 6200 over dinner tonight with the ridgid guys.

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-15-2008, 02:22 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, Thanks for the reply. It is a 6800 (discontinued) that's the reason I was unable to find any info on it. The cable looked like 3/4 but I did not pull it out the drum. I was hoping it had a torque limiter feature where the cable won't flip over if jammed. The inertia those heavy drums have once they get turning is impressive. They'll spin twenty more times after you let go of the bulb.

Comment

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post
        Rick, Thanks for the reply. It is a 6800 (discontinued) that's the reason I was unable to find any info on it. The cable looked like 3/4 but I did not pull it out the drum. I was hoping it had a torque limiter feature where the cable won't flip over if jammed. The inertia those heavy drums have once they get turning is impressive. They'll spin twenty more times after you let go of the bulb.

exactly why a drum machine can be dangerous if you jam.

this is a huge issue when you only have a 0-10' of cable in the line. there is not enough cable to absorb the torque and wind up. when you have lots of cable in, there is more time to react and let the cable wind up and back down.

now with a sectional machine, there is no flywheel affect to create this torquing affect. a great feature when fighting a tight clean out opening or roots at the entry point.

i have a project that i have 80- 2'' planter box drains that have not been snaked in 28 years. most have roots growing into the pipe openings. a drum machine would be very awkward to access the planter boxes and there would be no way to slowly throttle the cable with a drum when first feeding the cable into the root infested opening.

do yourself a favor and stay away from the 6800. although it might have been a top machine in it's day. good luck finding parts when you damage something.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, Thanks for the input. The more I read these postings the more I want a sectional. I'll keep looking.

Comment

PSST. HANDY ANDY, WANNA BUY A SECTIONAL CHEAP!!!! Wait till Rick Leaves in the morn,Knock on the rear door. K-60 $200+a nice set of golf clubs. Say Hi to Mrs. seat down
            for us!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

come to the roundup for a heads up demo.

i had a chance to speak to the director of marketing at the roadshow yesterday. i ran the 6800 by him and there is a place to get parts from an outside vendor.

truthfully, either stick with the 750 or save the room and get the k-60.

you already know my answer

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                PSST. HANDY ANDY, WANNA BUY A SECTIONAL CHEAP!!!! Wait till Rick Leaves in the morn,Knock on the rear door. K-60 $200+a nice set of golf clubs. Say Hi to Mrs. seat down
                for us!
                If Rick is gone he can come in the front door
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  for us!
                  baxter will not allow visitors. joey is just getting a feel for him.

rick.

a nice set of clubs would work better on josh, than me
                  phoebe it is

Comment

For reals, $200 HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Comment

Working...
                    X