Spartan 1065

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spartan 1065

No kidding. I'll say this though, my 1065 is over twenty years old and is the most reliable machine i've ever owned. Never had to adjust/replace the belt, never any break downs, only had to replace bearings in the feeder and of course new cables. It is a loud SOB though. A new motor sounds like a plan to me....
    Last edited by TomSV650; 05-16-2008, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Adding a permanent magnet motor retro fit kit to an old 1065 is easy. You simply change the motor support assembly and belts. It comes pre wired and has a new belt cover. The kit is not cheap, but it is a great up grade for a good old machine. It takes just a few minutes to do the swap.

Check it out:

http://www.spartantool.com/images/pr...s/44291700.jpg
      www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Are the Spartan Machines made in China now???

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Are the Spartan Machines made in China now???

J.C.

The answer is yes. They are now all made in China. The jetter production is still located in Mishawaka Indiana and the camera systems are made in Oswego, Illinois and the cable is now being made in Minnesota some where

I have seen some of the early component parts that have come from China and they are not great. The grade is far different and the paint is so thin and flaky that it would not keep a good finish.

The newer stuff is much better and they have sent staff to do quality control to improve manufacturing procedures. I hated to see production go to China, especially when they are so close to home for me. Oh well, thats typical I guess.

Comment

Disappointing. What I wonder is this pure greed. Look at their product, consumer base, and price.

Have they been losing money year after year? I'm not running their numbers but I doubt it.

Now they are moving manufacturing to China saving tons on labor, insurance, facility, and EPA requirements.

Are they going to pass that savings on to the consumers? I doubt it. So if they don't, until someone show's otherwise, then this was pure greed.

I guess I SHOULD not care and start hiring illegals to do work. Large American business are teaching me too.

J.C.

Comment

To be fair we live in a Global Economy today and it is our responsibility to find the fields where we are the most productive as we will continue to lose manufacturing jobs to countries where the labor rate is less expensive. We all like to talk about buy American but which one of us would pay $1,000 for an American built 20" LCD TV when a foreign made is going for $189? The simple fact is the cost of manufacturing monotonous products is no longer practical in the United States.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Yes...and to point fingers at ourselves even more......the reliability of product sent, assembled and brought back to the US is far more reliable than the work force the manufacturing jobs draw in regards to the workforce.

It's low-level entry work that is repetitious work. Learning curve only at the beginning....after that point it's monkey work.

Get educated above assembly line and you shouldn't have to fear the .24 cent an hour worker in china.

I got one project that will almost definitely put me in contact with china to provide the effort of production and labor restraints.

Put it here and you'll have half the people that are unqualified, has a million doctor's appointments and can't come in cuz chester didn't get time to replace the tire on the sedan after church sunday.

I say ship all those jobs overseas to push the envelope to get people to think/act/and work above poverty level wages.

"I wanna grow up and flip burgers..........!!"
                Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-17-2008, 02:10 PM.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

TROJAN SEWER EQUIPMENT;
                  is still made in the good ol U. S. A. in HOUSTON,TEXAS
                  they have a conversion kit for the SPARTAN 1065 that allows it to run on a 36 volt nicad battery for a week or more on one charge ! !

SO BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    To be fair we live in a Global Economy today and it is our responsibility to find the fields where we are the most productive as we will continue to lose manufacturing jobs to countries where the labor rate is less expensive. We all like to talk about buy American but which one of us would pay $1,000 for an American built 20" LCD TV when a foreign made is going for $189? The simple fact is the cost of manufacturing monotonous products is no longer practical in the United States.

Mark
                    While I recognize both your and Dunbars points, you've got to remember that ALL economies must have low to high paying opportunities. Low being the broadbased foundation.

If we were to follow what your saying then let's just get it over with and not manufacture anything. Close the RIDGID plant. Close the water heater facility. Close the tire manufacturing building. Based on what you state it's bad business to keep them open. Everything can be done somewhere else at a lower labor cost.

While Dunbar states it's monotonous monkey work, I've known some that loved doing it. Me, I would hate it. But that does not change the fact that it is the foundation of any economy. And everyday that foundation here is eroding.

You can educate yourself above the "monotonous" work. But people in other countries are also educating themselves above the "monotonous" work. Then who gets that job? The American educated engineer that wants $75,000 or the Chinese educated engineer that will do the same job for $20,000? Already happening.

We are in a global economy. And for years, before the global economy, we were at the top of the food chain dollar. Now with the onset of this economy, has anyone noticed that the dollar value has decreased while there varous denominations became stronger? That's the global economy effect. I don't think it can be stopped because not enough care or aren't willing to think longterm. When one shortsighted company or person gets onboard, the others follow.

Just bothers me. If it doesn't bother you, fine. But if it doesn't then you should always base your purchases on quality, function, and price with zero bearing on point of origin.

And noone should complain about illegals or someone working illegals undercutting your price. That's the same basis. But a different thread argument.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      While I recognize both your and Dunbars points, you've got to remember that ALL economies must have low to high paying opportunities. Low being the broadbased foundation.

If we were to follow what your saying then let's just get it over with and not manufacture anything. Close the RIDGID plant. Close the water heater facility. Close the tire manufacturing building. Based on what you state it's bad business to keep them open. Everything can be done somewhere else at a lower labor cost.

While Dunbar states it's monotonous monkey work, I've known some that loved doing it. Me, I would hate it. But that does not change the fact that it is the foundation of any economy. And everyday that foundation here is eroding.

You can educate yourself above the "monotonous" work. But people in other countries are also educating themselves above the "monotonous" work. Then who gets that job? The American educated engineer that wants $75,000 or the Chinese educated engineer that will do the same job for $20,000? Already happening.

We are in a global economy. And for years, before the global economy, we were at the top of the food chain dollar. Now with the onset of this economy, has anyone noticed that the dollar value has decreased while there varous denominations became stronger? That's the global economy effect. I don't think it can be stopped because not enough care or aren't willing to think longterm. When one shortsighted company or person gets onboard, the others follow.

Just bothers me. If it doesn't bother you, fine. But if it doesn't then you should always base your purchases on quality, function, and price with zero bearing on point of origin.

And noone should complain about illegals or someone working illegals undercutting your price. That's the same basis. But a different thread argument.

J.C.
                      I would love to have everything built here and marked made in the USA. The sad part is that is getting harder and harder to do. Next time you buy a water heater, plumbing fixture or tire check to see where it was made. The chances are it will not be stamped "Made in the USA" because at least part of it was made elsewhere.

The United States needs to switch to "high tech" industries. We cannot manufacture plastic toys but we can manufacture jet aircraft. If you were developing a new product line and had to tool up to manufacture a widget, would you do it here or would you move out of the USA. Out of the USA not only are the costs less but you are not dealing with all of the governmental agencies who want to control your every move.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Just don't see "high tech" occupations becoming the basis of the American economy.

And as Jerry Mac stated, Trojan makes a comparable product to Spartan that is made in the USA at a comparable price. So is Spartan price gouging their consumer or is Trojan going to end up going out of business due to labor costs & US regulations? Can only be one or the other.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                          Adding a permanent magnet motor retro fit kit to an old 1065 is easy. You simply change the motor support assembly and belts. It comes pre wired and has a new belt cover. The kit is not cheap, but it is a great up grade for a good old machine. It takes just a few minutes to do the swap.

Check it out:

http://www.spartantool.com/images/pr...s/44291700.jpg
                          Thanks for the great info! How much does it cost? I couldn't find it on the spartan webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                            Thanks for the great info! How much does it cost? I couldn't find it on the spartan webpage.

Take a look at this link. It is part # 44291700

http://www.spartantool.com/mach-acce...=Miscellaneous

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                              TROJAN SEWER EQUIPMENT;
                              is still made in the good ol U. S. A. in HOUSTON,TEXAS
                              they have a conversion kit for the SPARTAN 1065 that allows it to run on a 36 volt nicad battery for a week or more on one charge ! !

SO BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS
                              These guys have used every expired patent that Spartan has had. It is true that the machines are almost exact in how they are made. I wouldn't be so sure that every part on the Trojan machines is made in the US. They use some of the same vendors for parts that Spartan does.

I also know that they are hurting for money in a big way. I was told this by one of their distributors and from some other sources who know the company well. The customer service is a bit rough as it is done by the same people who manage several other things there.

Although Spartans customer service is not necessarily the greatest, they do have a full time staff to handle just that plus the on the road salesman. They are spread to thin in my opinion.

Spartan has not changed the price of their products now that they are over seas. I have heard of product being shipped here wrong or missing parts and the entire shipment had to be disassembled and put back together here and repackaged. They claim to have still made money after that even. So one can only assume that it was done for greed. The entire staff at Spartan is not very happy about this transition.

You should all know that Spartan is owned by the HI-CO Corporation and managed by businessmen with no history of drain cleaning experience. Just like the Mr. Rooter franchise, it is run by a woman who use to bake cookies for a living.

look here: http://www.dwyergroup.com/team/mary.aspx

I guess if you are good at managing you can run a company even if you don't know anything about the industry. I personally think it can be done but the end result will be less than adiquate compared to promoting someone who has been there for years and knows everything about it. This is the case at Spartan, the president came from the Pettibone company which is also owned by HI-CO Corporation rather than promoting from within. I know for a fact that there is a guy that has been there for over 30 years that could spout off every part number, repair anything with a blindfold on, has a great attitude and was a salesman for them for years. This is who should be running Spartan, not someone who is a savy businessman that have no prior knowledge of the business. Just my 2 cents!

Also, if you thought that the 1065 was not heavy enough, go ahead and add the battery pack kit thing to it. What a ridiculous option. It's not worth the money at all. I've used it and it is not great. It just adds unnecessary weight to an already heavy machine.

Comment

Thanks JR! Learned alot from that post.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X