Advice on cleaning a basement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on cleaning a basement

I need advice on what to use to wash down a basement floor after a city main back up. It was nothing extraordinary. The floor is a little greasy though, not much odor to speak of, but the customer is slightly germaphobic.
    Let me mention that I can't use a high pressure hose. I'll probably have to use some cleaner and pour it out of a 5-gal bucket and gently hose it to the floor drain. She has a lot of stuff stored down there, off the floor but on shelves close to the floor.
    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Re: Advice on cleaning a basement

USE DURA CABLE PRO CLEANER 800-247-4081 IT WILL CLEAN. SANITIZE, & MAKE IT SMELL GOOD,
    IT IS BIOLOGY CLEANER,
    I HAVE USED ON STRAIGHT SEWAGE SPILL

JERRYMAC
    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

a 10% solution of houshold bleach will suffice

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I would have them call service-pro and let them handle it.
        sigpic

Comment

It`s just like what we do, CALL A PRO!
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I use simple green diluted down to clean. Then I use bleach and water to sanitize.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I'd avoid bleach unless you have very good ventilation and/or a respirator unless you want to trash your lungs. Chlorine gas is not good for you.

Comment

You should use ventilation for any of that stuff. But 10 parts water: 1 part bleach is not that strong. That is what childcare licensing requires us to use when sanitizing toys and surfaces from cooties.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                  You should use ventilation for any of that stuff. But 10 parts water: 1 part bleach is not that strong. That is what childcare licensing requires us to use when sanitizing toys and surfaces from cooties.
                  I used the 1:10 chlorine/water today. No, the fumes were not an issue at all. However, at that level, it did not help remove the greasy coating hardly at all (it's a painted floor). It did greatly help obliterate the odor that was offensive to the olfactory orbs of Olga Olsen.(who likes origami)
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    I used the 1:10 chlorine/water today. No, the fumes were not an issue at all. However, at that level, it did not help remove the greasy coating hardly at all (it's a painted floor). It did greatly help obliterate the odor that was offensive to the olfactory orbs of Olga Olsen.(who likes origami)
                    I think Simple Green is better on grease. I personally find it to have an offensive odor though It does dissipate after a while.

It also works great on wood stain. I spilled a bunch on the front porch a week after we were married. I thought it was gonna be the quickest marriage in history Rick got it out with simple green, a toothbrush, and LOTS of scrubbing and yelling.
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                      Rick got it out with simple green, a toothbrush, and LOTS of scrubbing and yelling.
                      Give me a break. Remind me to tell you the story of when Felicia almost caught Marriot in Atlanta on fire.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Give me a break. Remind me to tell you the story of when Felicia almost caught Marriot in Atlanta on fire.
                        Are you guys allowed back to a Marriott? You will definitely have to fill me in.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          Dawn dishwahing liquid is great on grease followed by Pine Sol and a 10:1 water/bleach solution, then lots of air/ventilation.

also, i'd use a wet vac to help dry the area after each application

OR

i'd call Service Pro or some other cleaning pro

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
                          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post

just my $.02 before taxes

steve
                            No gas surcharge?
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I would refer the call to a Professional cleaning company, reason being, if something was ever to come of this, it could get messy for legal purposes.

If you refer it out, you pass the liability

especially if the customer is sensative to germs and a clean freak.

good luck!!
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X