Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice in how to clear a cast iron stand pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice in how to clear a cast iron stand pipe?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    So let's take a good review here now that you brought it up.
    How many years do you have installing with code licensing?
    How many drains did you snake before you started calling yourself a drain cleaner.
    Shouldn't take a guy with adequate background installing pipe more than a couple of weeks in a van guided by a pro to figure the tips and tricks.
    I think my first card dates back to 1984??

I am not a drain cleaner, I`m a person

Yea it shouldnt but it seem`s that most plumbers cant do it.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
      I think my first card dates back to 1984??

I am not a drain cleaner, I`m a person

Yea it shouldnt but it seem`s that most plumbers cant do it.
      Won't.
      Why would a Dr take care of bedpans when there are nurses?

Comment

Because he`s not above working for his money

I do plumbing and sewer work.

Thats the cool thing about Rick, He`s not above playing in a little crap like most plumbers and some times I think he might enjoy it just a little to much
        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 05-30-2008, 08:07 AM.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
          Right on Rick. Hillary's newest studies if elected is to provide funding for the training Chimpanzee's to clear drains. Even a monkey can do it.

True enough.

Sad part is drain cleaners are making more money then the plumbers and in half the time spent on jobs.

If its so easy why are the plumbers giving me $500-$900 jobs???

Dont tell me because they dont want to get dirty

Im not going to lie to you and say i know everything about plumbing. I cant install heaters, gas, etc etc.

You do need however like Rick was saying knowledge of plumbing to clear drains. If your video inspecting a line and dont know what to look for, whats the point?

But dont sit there and say that drain cleaning is for monkeys and can be taught in 6 months.

If thats the case, why are the plumbers calling me to remove their broken cables, or the famous one, "I cant get the drain open, its broken"

If i had a dime for everytime i heard that, i wouldnt have to work

I give Plumbers all the respect in the world. Their job isnt easy, but neither is ours.

Licenses whatever, im not going there again with you guys. If you want to talk about that , then just look at Craigslist and see all the MONKEYS doing plumbing for 44.95, find out how many of them are licensed...you guys should be worrying about the landscapers putting in storm and sewer lines, or the handymen putting in water heaters etc etc.

If there is one thing i learned on these boards its that everyone on here respects eachother and their trades, occasionally you have your knuckleheads that come to start their crap and leave after a month, but the regs on here know whats going on. We all work hard at our jobs, and the main thing is to stay focused on whats important for you and your family. If someone is out there doing illegall stuff, then in time it will bite them in the butt, and shame on them.

Im not taking offense to someone that comes on here with 9 post (1 of them pretty much worthless) and say that monkeys can do drain cleaning. What i do take offense to are people saying how easy it is....So go ahead if its so easy, take the 6 months you need to learn drain cleaning, go spend 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars on new equipment and meet me at the Roundup next year We will see whatcha got
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
            Because he`s not above working for his money

I do plumbing and sewer work.

Thats the cool thing about Rick, He`s not above playing in a little crap like most plumbers and some times I think he might enjoy it just a little to much
            All in good fun, one good turn deserves another.
            Sometimes I consider just going into drain cleaning for the simplicity of not having to deal with code & inspectors.
            Seems the money's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
              True enough.

Sad part is drain cleaners are making more money then the plumbers and in half the time spent on jobs.
              Hadn't read this before I posted, you're right...BUT...lets not underestimate the rationale behind your pricing.
              You guys have substantial liability AND equipment expenses over us.
              Guess it all comes out in the wash...sorta.
              A camera is almost a necessity, thousands just for that...lets not get into jetters, drums, sectionals...AND the cost of upkeep, maintanence & repair.

Having spoken with you in particular, there is NO question of risk vs ROI with the cost of your equipment, you charge accordingly.

Comment

True enough.

If its so easy why are the plumbers giving me $500-$900 jobs???

Dont tell me because they dont want to get dirty

Im not going to lie to you and say i know everything about plumbing. I cant install heaters, gas, etc etc.

You do need however like Rick was saying knowledge of plumbing to clear drains. If your video inspecting a line and dont know what to look for, whats the point?

But dont sit there and say that drain cleaning is for monkeys and can be taught in 6 months.

If thats the case, why are the plumbers calling me to remove their broken cables, or the famous one, "I cant get the drain open, its broken"

If i had a dime for everytime i heard that, i wouldnt have to work

I give Plumbers all the respect in the world. Their job isnt easy, but neither is ours.

Licenses whatever, im not going there again with you guys. If you want to talk about that , then just look at Craigslist and see all the MONKEYS doing plumbing for 44.95, find out how many of them are licensed...you guys should be worrying about the landscapers putting in storm and sewer lines, or the handymen putting in water heaters etc etc.

If there is one thing i learned on these boards its that everyone on here respects eachother and their trades, occasionally you have your knuckleheads that come to start their crap and leave after a month, but the regs on here know whats going on. We all work hard at our jobs, and the main thing is to stay focused on whats important for you and your family. If someone is out there doing illegall stuff, then in time it will bite them in the butt, and shame on them.

Im not taking offense to someone that comes on here with 9 post (1 of them pretty much worthless) and say that monkeys can do drain cleaning. What i do take offense to are people saying how easy it is....So go ahead if its so easy, take the 6 months you need to learn drain cleaning, go spend 10s if not 100s of thousands of dollars on new equipment and meet me at the Roundup next year We will see whatcha got

Drain cleaning is so easy, even a caveman could do it. I advertise 24/7 emergency service, mainline backups is part of that. I've been doing it for years, I'd rather be sweating pipe, but it comes with the territory. I knew what I signed up for so no complaints
                The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                  Drain cleaning is so easy, even a caveman could do it. I advertise 24/7 emergency service, mainline backups is part of that. I've been doing it for years, I'd rather be sweating pipe, but it comes with the territory. I knew what I signed up for so no complaints

Your absolutely right. Your keywords "IVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS"

Its easy for me to. I can do with my eyes closed I to have been doing it for years.

But you cant tell me that you learned everything there is about drain cleaning in 6 months. To this day and ive been doing it for 14yrs now, i still run into things that amaze me, and i get lucky.

It doesnt take 6 months though, it takes you a good 2-4yrs and im not speaking for myself.
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    Hadn't read this before I posted, you're right...BUT...lets not underestimate the rationale behind your pricing.
                    You guys have substantial liability AND equipment expenses over us.
                    Guess it all comes out in the wash...sorta.
                    A camera is almost a necessity, thousands just for that...lets not get into jetters, drums, sectionals...AND the cost of upkeep, maintanence & repair.

Having spoken with you in particular, there is NO question of risk vs ROI with the cost of your equipment, you charge accordingly.

But there are alot more liabilities in plumbing. Like burning someones house down with the torch while soldering.

Or the water heater you put in takes a dump in the basement because you forgot to turn a valve, or a new plumbing system installed thats still under warranty and now is sagged and causing numerous backups because the pipe wasnt secured right or no stone was layed for a foundation.

I think the equipment expenses are going to favor the drain guys, with the jetters, your right. But thats also some of the things im talking about when you hear people say it only takes 6 months, or monkeys and cavemen can do it. I hope the monkeys and cavemen know how to run a jetter without shooting up the wrong lines in a house or better yet commercial property and breaking toilets, or flooding out that finished basement because they want to be a cowboy with the jetter.

You dont need all the equipment to "clear drain lines", you can just use machines, but then your not providing a well rounded service. Plumbers,
                    Drain cleaners, Hvac, electricians, deserve to charge whatever they have to, we are worth it.

Anyway, im done with this, Roundup coming up soon, you guys can put your money where your mouths are as far as im concerned

Im done with this discussion because it will just lead to argument after argument and someones feelings are going to hurt, and im not on these boards for that. I dont care how you feel about (not you duck lol) me or drain cleaning. I do it because i love it, its easy, its good money, but also i can provide a good life for my family, because thats who im really working for. Dont care about the T&M vs. Flat Rate, i charge what i need to charge, and people love me and my service so they keep calling back.

I have the upmost respect for everyone on these boards for their knowledge, wisdom, help, and honesty....thats why i love it here, no fake personalities.

Just a long day today

Comment

Your absolutely right. Your keywords "IVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS"

Its easy for me to. I can do with my eyes closed I to have been doing it for years.

But you cant tell me that you learned everything there is about drain cleaning in 6 months. To this day and ive been doing it for 14yrs now, i still run into things that amaze me, and i get lucky.

It doesnt take 6 months though, it takes you a good 2-4yrs and im not speaking for myself.

I learn things all the time, never claim to know it all never will. Had a call on a stopped up toilet, I augered the toilet several times and did not clear it. Pulled the toilet and the main was clear. I tipped the toilet on its side and saw several hard $hit balls the size of baseballs blocking the bottom of the toilet, they were bouncing off each other and not passing. I showed the ho while I was breaking it up with my needle nose pliers. He says "the doctor has me on a stool softener" I say "double your dose, its not working"
                      The Other Rick

Comment

I learn things all the time, never claim to know it all never will. Had a call on a stopped up toilet, I augered the toilet several times and did not clear it. Pulled the toilet and the main was clear. I tipped the toilet on its side and saw several hard $hit balls the size of baseballs blocking the bottom of the toilet, they were bouncing off each other and not passing. I showed the ho while I was breaking it up with my needle nose pliers. He says "the doctor has me on a stool softener" I say "double your dose, its not working"

Comment

Damn thats nasty. I have seen it too though. I had one lady that was clogging her toilet all teh time, I put in a high-velocity flusher and she still clogs it up sometimes! This woman has health problems and is on lots of meds. I had to politely ask her if she is taking stool softeners.....she said, "NO, I never thought of it." I am glad I mentioned it because she has only called once since, so I guess it helped.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                            Damn thats nasty. I have seen it too though. I had one lady that was clogging her toilet all teh time, I put in a high-velocity flusher and she still clogs it up sometimes! This woman has health problems and is on lots of meds. I had to politely ask her if she is taking stool softeners.....she said, "NO, I never thought of it." I am glad I mentioned it because she has only called once since, so I guess it helped.

When I gave him the bill, he went off about how much I charged him (and I'm very reasonable), so I asked him " how much would you charge me to play in my $hit, next time call a handyman" He paid the bill and I haven't heard from him, so he either doubled his dose or bought a pair of needle nose
                            The Other Rick

Comment

When I gave him the bill, he went off about how much I charged him (and I'm very reasonable), so I asked him " how much would you charge me to play in my $hit, next time call a handyman" He paid the bill and I haven't heard from him, so he either doubled his dose or bought a pair of needle nose
                              You should have said, "I am charging the appropriate price for the appropriate task: A CRAP-LOAD!"
                              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

:d
                                Last edited by rick1643; 05-30-2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: smiley didn't show
                                The Other Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X