Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice in how to clear a cast iron stand pipe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice in how to clear a cast iron stand pipe?

Laundry line is clog, a I try clearing the stand pipe with 3/8 cable, later with 1/4 cable, still clog. Please help me guys. Thanks

Re: Advice in how to clear a cast iron stand pipe?

Do you have a cleanout above the santee, in the vent? Have you recently replaced your old washer with a new washer?? The new washeres pump out water twice as dfast as the old ones.

Do you have an 1 1/2" standpipe?? or a 2" ??

Are you running cable through the standpipe itself??

I find that the proper way to clean in run through the cleanout, a 3/8" cable.

My 3/8" cable will not go through a trap to clean the santee, so I use a 1/4"
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by gringos View Post
      Laundry line is clog, a I try clearing the stand pipe with 3/8 cable, later with 1/4 cable, still clog. Please help me guys. Thanks

What kind of device are you using to try to clear the line

DO NOT USE DRAINO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Ten to one it's a galvy standpipe.
        Ten to one, if it's galvy, it's rusted closed at the tap to the CI tee wye.
        Coat hangers & handherld HD snakes ain't gonna cut it. draino will make things much worse.

Comment

I use a product called Santeen De-Limer (santeen.com). I have used this on urinals that I couldn't get a snake through and on old toilets where the jets are all clogged up. Works great!!

Home Depot doesn't have it, but a local plumbing shop might or Ace Hardwares have them around here.
          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

how fast does it back up? real quick, it's real close. longer time, it's farther away

is the standpipe outside of the wall with the trap? if so, remove the trap.

if not try running the snake in reverse to soften up the wind of the cable until you get past the trap.

all else fails go from the roof vent.

i can always get my 5/16'' drum cable through a 1.5'' trap. and most of the time my 5/8'' sectional too with the auger end.

another option is cutting off the end of the sectional and using it as the leader. thus removing the male and female couplings. making the cable easy to get past the initial turns running the cable in reverse actually creates a good corkscrew auger. forward will not grab debris as the cable is reverse wound of the real cutter.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
              I use a product called Santeen De-Limer (santeen.com). I have used this on urinals that I couldn't get a snake through and on old toilets where the jets are all clogged up. Works great!!

Home Depot doesn't have it, but a local plumbing shop might or Ace Hardwares have them around here.

I would recommend *only* using that in or on the china.
              I have made many a housewife happy getting impossible stains off
              toilets with that stuff and I'd hate to face a urinal with out it!
              As far as your stand pipe..If you cannotcut into the vent to get at 'er
              consider ripping out the old stand pipe.
              I've had *fair* luck running 1/4 and 3/8 cable through stand pipes but I don't like it!
              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM. Reason: I forgotted sumptin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
                ...I have made many a housewife happy getting impossible stains off
                toilets ...
                And I'm sure you made them happy other ways
                YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                  And I'm sure you made them happy other ways

Comment

The best Advice I can give ya it to call a Drain guy, Plumbers dont know how to clear drain lines....rotflmao

That shout put some gas on the fire
                    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

whats up All Clear you take the boat out camping for the holiday?
                      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                        The best Advice I can give ya it to call a Drain guy, Plumbers dont know how to clear drain lines....rotflmao

problem is drain guys don't have the license to install the plumbing. if you know how the plumbing is installed, you typically know what to look for and what is buried behind the wall, under the slab.

a plumber can easily be trained to clear drains.

a drain guy would need 4-5 years of experience installing plumbing just to be eligible to take a journeyman's test.

remember the doctor can do the nurses job, but the nurse can't do the doctors job

rick.

adam doesn't clean drains. but i guarantee you that if he works on it for 6 months, he will have more than enough experience to do a great job.

now take a drain cleaner with 6 months of plumbing experience and hand him a set of plans for commercial kitchen, house from the ground up, office, medical center, etc...

see my point

and yes, adam is looking at a k-60 at the roundup
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Right on Rick. Hillary's newest studies if elected is to provide funding for the training Chimpanzee's to clear drains. Even a monkey can do it.
                          WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                          ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post

So let's take a good review here now that you brought it up.
                            How many years do you have installing with code licensing?
                            How many drains did you snake before you started calling yourself a drain cleaner.
                            Shouldn't take a guy with adequate background installing pipe more than a couple of weeks in a van guided by a pro to figure the tips and tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chauncey View Post
                              Right on Rick. Hillary's newest studies if elected is to provide funding for the training Chimpanzee's to clear drains. Even a monkey can do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X