Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: amount paid to a tech

it's selling the job that's the issue.

technically the tech is not in a position to price and sell a job.

if they are getting paid on a commission, why would they sell a $150 cleaning when they can sell a $1000. clean out. at a 30% cut it's either a $50 job or a $333 job

the hourly guy gets paid by the hour and there is no incentive to sell a job. he gets paid typically for billable hours at a higher rate than the guy who gets paid all day at a lower rate.

some guys like billable hours, some guys like the security of an 8 hour day.

commission guys are driven to sell jobs.

hourly guys don't need to sell. they get paid an hourly wage.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I smell an argument brewing....
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

does anybody remember simpler, times when i started it was either hourly or salary, and you worked for your pay just as you gained knowledge you kept your mouth shut thought about what you said before the crusty old timer made you look foolish and if there were people around he would let the world now just how green you were, but you learned and sucked it up, treat most like that today and they will quit cry run to the labor board throw themselves off a building, i dont know about you guys i learned tough but the work ethics it taught me i wouldnt trade for the world.

Comment

OK JUST TO START THIS DISCUSSION OFF ON THE RIGHT NOTE,

I HAVE WORKED HOURLY,SALARY, & COMMISSION I ALWAYS MADE THE MOST MONEY ON COMMISSION NEVER HAD TO SELL EXTRAS
          JUST SELLING THE WORK THAT NEEDED TO BE DONE RATHER IT WAS AUGER TOILET, OR JUST A NEW FLAPPER, UP TO A COMPLETE RE PIPE OR REMODEL AND I STILL MADE MONEY BUT I HAD INCENTIVE TO GET THE JOB DONE AND DONE RIGHT OR I LOST PAY IF SOMEBODY ELSE FROM COMPANY DID CALL BACK ON ME, ! ! !
          WHICH I THINK IS THE RIGHT WAY TO PAY PLUMBERS WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY/ EAT SOMEBODY ELSE TO CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE

AND IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT ? IT IS THE WAY ALL PLUMBING SHOP OWNER'S GET PAID AFTER
          EXPENSE'S YOU GET YOUR NET PAY ! !

JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I'll stay out of this 'commission vs. hourly' debate. I have worked both ways and I'll admit both ways had their ups and downs. Right now I work for myself only, but someday I'll need reliable employees and I'll have to decide how to pay them fairly one way or another.

Comment

I pay my "GOOD" help $20.00 an hour. The rest get 10.00
              Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 05-27-2008, 11:10 PM.
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Just like to today I ran free camera inspection for owner. Granted they pay for gas, but I still think I should be paid for something.

Thanks for all the feed back.

Comment

Originally posted by coldbluff View Post
                  Just like to today I ran free camera inspection for owner. Granted they pay for gas, but I still think I should be paid for something.

Thanks for all the feed back.
                  there is no such thing as a free camera inspection.

attached to your inspection was an estimate/ contract for a job.

the owner just didn't bite.

to me a free inspection is, doing the job with no strings attached.

such as for a friend or family member.

otherwise i bill for every inspection with no strings attached.

since it's not your company, and not your money for the camera and associated inspection equipment, i guess you do as the owner ask of you.

but i would seriously look for a job at a company that pays hourly so there is no free work. my buddy who had 20 guys all got paid either hourly/ helpers, or job tickets/ plumbers.

so even a 15 minute call would still pay them the hour ticket. they don't get paid travel time, but they they typically had enough calls to keep them busy all day. they didn't have to wait for the phone to ring.

the owner is making 70% plus material on you for answering the phone.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

If I have to sell to put bread on my table I'll become a used car salesman, better hours and cleaner.

Whatever happened to being a good employee, working hard and promoting the company goals.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally Posted by wrench spinner:
                        1 Billion Dollars!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                          If I have to sell to put bread on my table I'll become a used car salesman, better hours and cleaner.

Whatever happened to being a good employee, working hard and promoting the company goals.

Like it or not, all service plumbers are or should be salesmen. Even if you are not paid on commision. If you are in a customers house, you have to keep your eyes open for things that are legitimately wrong. Theres nothing wrong with pointing out violations, dangers, and even mentioning to Mrs. Smith that her water heater is 18 years old. Dont use scare tactics just mention things the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I used to work for a commision based company and it's not worth it unless you rip people off. You can't give a good price and still make money for yourself.
                            Many Box stores like Sears, Home Depot, Lowes...it's the same for their subs, the profit margin is too low without pushing for extra's.

Comment

By far the most effective pay scale I've ever seen was when I worked for a lumber mill in Maine 20 years ago, right outta the Navy.
                              Hourly plus group incentives, we made up to $4 more per hour based on our productivity...I have never since worked so hard.
                              Not one guy in the company was slow, not one guy didn't care about busting his back for the team.
                              The boss didn't have to fire slackers, they "mysteriously" found encouragement to leave of their own accord.
                              This was heavy, repetitive labor handling green lumber...the moral was always high, we all depended on eachother to meet our weekly incentive.
                              The whole chemistry was awsome, forever playing pranks and laughing as we pushed on.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                                Like it or not, all service plumbers are or should be salesmen. Even if you are not paid on commision. If you are in a customers house, you have to keep your eyes open for things that are legitimately wrong. Theres nothing wrong with pointing out violations, dangers, and even mentioning to Mrs. Smith that her water heater is 18 years old. Dont use scare tactics just mention things the correct way.
                                I think we agree then Masterplumb. Promoting the company goals involves meeting financial ones as well. I am proactive when I am in a customers home but I am also low pressure, and apply common sense. Just because someone has roots in their main does not mean it needs dug up and replaced immediately.

My distaste for commission based plumbing comes from the ones I know. They are trained almost monthly on selling tactics and have selling parties. If you call them for any water heater, faucet, garbage disposal or plugged drain you will be getting new, period. Don't forget the carbon monoxide detector that you need at a cost of 180.00 or your children will die.

Trust and integrity is something we must never loose sight of.
                                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Working...
                                X