amount paid to a tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amount paid to a tech

what do you "the fourm" think is a fair % to be paid to a service tech?

and do you think that it is right to pay that way.

I ask, because one of the large companies has an ad out right now and I was looking into it.

Thanks

Re: amount paid to a tech

There's is a lot of factors that add into an hourly rate. The going rate in Ohio could be half of what it is in Florida.

Years or experience, if you have your own tools, any training/certificates/licenses you have, there's many things that factor into this.
    Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I belive that they want to give 20% and that is on a regular pay check no matter what.

basic main line with a ground level clean out $193.00.

Comment

Not the highest or lowest price I've seen out there.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I would consider a company that pays hourly.

It also doesn't sound like they're paying you for your travel time.

So you might may $50 on a main stoppage that took an hour, but once you factor in the drive 30 minutes each way, 1 hour round trip, that cuts your hourly rate in half to $25 an hour.

What happens if a job is a *****, and takes 2-3x the 'normal' time?
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I used to work for a commision based company and it's not worth it unless you rip people off. You can't give a good price and still make money for yourself.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

thanks that is what I thinking. To hard to give a really good price.

and you are correct no travel time .

Comment

since you mention tech, i'll assume that means you don't have a journeyman's license.

so in this case i'll put you into the category of an apprentice.

depending on years of experience/ apprenticeship.

1st year 20% of hourly journeyman wages.

2nd year = 40%

3rd year= 60%

4th year=80%

5th year 90%

journeyman 100%

i don't believe a tech/ journeyman should be on a commission or split of the job.

i feel there is too much room for a tech/ journeyman to oversell a job.

the owner/ contractor should be the person selling the job.

in new construction plumbing, the rule of thumb is hourly, not piecework.

bonuses were handed out at the end of year based on job performance and profitability.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

thanks rick

I have been cleaning drains since about 1991 when I started in a little place called DIAMOND BAR

Comment

i Have Worked On Percentages At Min. 30% With Your Years Of Exp. Level, Remember Their Is More To The Cost Of Running A Co. Then Just Your Labor Time ! !
                    depends If You Have To Pay For Your Own Truck And Or Gas ? ?
                    or If Extra Charges For Hard To Clear Drains ? ?
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

also Is Their Overtime Pay ? ?
                      most States Labor Boards Require That Your Percentages Must At Least Equal Min. Wage Standards For Your State,
                      ie; Your Pay At The End Of Week Divided By total Work Time From Time You Start Truck In Morning To Time You Shut Down At Night
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

so lets say I am required to answer the phone by 8 00 am and nornally untill 5 00 pm not counting on call stuff the amount that would be a normal 40 hrs so I should be receiving no less than min wage which would be 290 because min here is 7.25

This is a new company and calls are few, 1.5 calls per day.

Thanks for the help, owners seem to be nice but nice does not pay the rent.

hopefully when their adds hit things will pick up.

p.s I also thought that 30-35% was more realalistic.

Comment

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention if you need your own tools or if they are providing the machines and work vehicle. Who pays for gas??
                          YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                            also Is Their Overtime Pay ? ?
                            most States Labor Boards Require That Your Percentages Must At Least Equal Min. Wage Standards For Your State,
                            ie; Your Pay At The End Of Week Divided By total Work Time From Time You Start Truck In Morning To Time You Shut Down At Night
                            absolutely correct commissioned techs still have to punch a time clock and overtime is figured after the first 40 at time and a half based on your gross pay i believe,our payroll dept does that and we almost found out the hard way about all this. so very sound advice from jerrymac.

Comment

My company paid commisions, and there was no overtime, they had a way around it, it was called "Units"

we were paid in units, which was 30% a unit (hour)

no big deal, you can rip people off with commission or with hourly.

with commission you hussle, most if paid by the hour, lag and take their time, no incentative to get to the 2nd call if your comfortable with the scenery of your first call.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X