X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck cable tales.

So yesterday morning I got a call that someone had a plugged toilet. Got there and it flushed but it was really slow.I got out the auger and thought I'd try it once and possibly get lucky. Nope. Walked around a bit and checked drains. Tub gurgled with lav draining so o brought out the 1500 and had at it.Got in about four feet and could not get through the line. Switched heads and eventually broke through but could not pull back out.So last night, we dug it up with the trencher. This morning, I got back to fix it and there was a 4" ABS cleanout standpipe concreted on top of a 2.5 inch hole in CI. Clay to the city main. Yep, that is where the cable was hung up. And yep, there were tons of roots growing it there.I got them taken care of but not without getting soaked in sewer water. What would people do without us?.

Re: Stuck cable tales.

they would poop in a bucket.
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

I see that 3 to 4 times a day around here. RR even dose it on orangeburg
      What Clowns they are.....

I just cleaned a 6" clay line that had a 2.5" hole in the top with a stand pipe....lol... It now has a 4" hole
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
        ... and love every minute of it

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
          HEY IS'NT THAT WHAT THEY USED TO DO ! !

BEFORE SANATARY SEWERS ?
          JERRYMAC
          E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
          CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
          FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
          SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JerryMac
            HEY IS'NT THAT WHAT THEY USED TO DO ! !

BEFORE SANATARY SEWERS ?
            I think it was called a "chamber pot" and it had a lid. Most people would light a lamp and use the "little house" out back.

Comment

I have been stuck before and it is a horrible feeling. The only one I had to go after was when the K-3800 would not come back. Needless to say that has always stuck with me and that is why I will only use sectionals outside of the home. In a house I will use a drum, no problem.

I'm glad you recovered the cable.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I had a cable just break. Nothing was hung up on it either. Just got old I guess. Boss really tried to pin the accident on me though. An apprentice and myself spent 8 hours digging 7ft down in a crawl that was only 3ft. using buckets no less. Thats why when I was looking for equipment, I promosed myself I would not buy used cable...never know how its been treated.

Comment

This was my latest one:

9th picture down, on the far right!

http://www.wcplumbing.biz/index_file...os_Angeles.htm

had to dig that one!!

The thing coming out of the back is the cable I cut the cast iron that way and just pulled it out, located where I got stuck with my camera.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

I got my cable stuck today (5/16") in a lav drain and ended up borrowing a fellow worker's drill to get it out. Why do drain guys need drills, right? Plus, he helped me pull it back as I used my gloves to clean off the cable as it came out of the drain so it wouldn't splatter all over. I'll end up giving him $10 when I see him next week for his 10 minutes of help (I rarely carry cash on me).

It's a good thing it got stuck when all my cable was in the drain or else I would of either had to cut the cable or pull the rest of the cable out of the K39 and put the drill on the end of the cable. I had a few splats on the wall, but after taking it out about 5 feet, I was able to put it back in the K39 and it came back on its own. Weird.

Friday is honestly my unluckiest day so I think I got it stuck in the main stack somehow since I had hair on the end of my cable when I took it out and it drains awesome now. I guess I'll find out in a few days if I broke a hole through a pipe. When the walls were demo'ed, I didn't see any lead, so I can't believe I went through the pipe.

Anyways, that was my first really big scare so far
                    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                      I got my cable stuck today (5/16") in a lav drain and ended up borrowing a fellow worker's drill to get it out. Why do drain guys need drills, right? Plus, he helped me pull it back as I used my gloves to clean off the cable as it came out of the drain so it wouldn't splatter all over. I'll end up giving him $10 when I see him next week for his 10 minutes of help (I rarely carry cash on me).

It's a good thing it got stuck when all my cable was in the drain or else I would of either had to cut the cable or pull the rest of the cable out of the K39 and put the drill on the end of the cable. I had a few splats on the wall, but after taking it out about 5 feet, I was able to put it back in the K39 and it came back on its own. Weird.

Friday is honestly my unluckiest day so I think I got it stuck in the main stack somehow since I had hair on the end of my cable when I took it out and it drains awesome now. I guess I'll find out in a few days if I broke a hole through a pipe. When the walls were demo'ed, I didn't see any lead, so I can't believe I went through the pipe.

Anyways, that was my first really big scare so far
                      Glad you got the cable back. How many feet did you have in ?
                      Kenneth Collier
                      Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                      Jackson, MS 39206
                      (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                      drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by drainman881999 View Post
                        Glad you got the cable back. How many feet did you have in ?
                        Thank you

I had the whole 25 foot section in. The reason I went the whole length is because I thought that maybe it went all the way to the basement before it tied in to the main stack. Those old steel 45s like to clog up, which is what I found in the basement and it looked to be either the lav drain or the shower.

I might of gone up the vent pipe, but like I mentioned in my previous post, I saw the other guys put in a PVC sanitary tee and Friday is my unluckiest day. I might just have to take Fridays off now
                        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                          Thank you

I had the whole 25 foot section in. The reason I went the whole length is because I thought that maybe it went all the way to the basement before it tied in to the main stack. Those old steel 45s like to clog up, which is what I found in the basement and it looked to be either the lav drain or the shower.

I might of gone up the vent pipe, but like I mentioned in my previous post, I saw the other guys put in a PVC sanitary tee and Friday is my unluckiest day. I might just have to take Fridays off now
                          That would only make you work on sunday's.Next evereone will expect you to charge no overtime,and so forth and so on.Ask plumber Rick,Having to work while on a vacation,jeese;but hey ---by doing so making allplumbers/drain techs from this forum look good.Thanks Rick.
                          Kenneth Collier
                          Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                          Jackson, MS 39206
                          (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                          drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I'll take working on Sunday over Friday anytime

It seems like the jobs that go totally wrong are always on Friday for me. Bummer

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Some years ago I was going through a bathtub line...felt it drop into the main and went to pull it back.Came out all of the 1' I had into the main and no more.I spun,tugged curse,reverse foreward....finally dumped some liquid soap in the thing and my cable grudgingly started it's way back out!Get the end out and unwrap the LARGEST pair of panties I had ever seen.H.o. came running ,hearing my burst of laughter..Thankfully they were not anyone's that lived there!

I lost a 3/4" cable last may when I blew through a fitting.The pipe was the thinwall stuff instead of schedule 40 pvc.Finally got paid for the drain cleaning and cable when everyone saw what was going on.I had the dig crew put in a 2 way c.o. in the yard.Buried back, it kind of looks like a septic access!
                              Last edited by Jay Mpls; 11-21-2008, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X