X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Ranger Review

the roundup was not strictly fun and games we actually had a chance to demo products and get a sneak peek at products under review

all of us were very interested in the jetter powered root ranger.

matt arranged for a mock stoppage consisting of 1/2'' wooden dowel inserted into a clear 4'' pvc pipe at the 3 and 9 clock position.

the ridgid 3000psi, 4gpm gas jetter was used to power the root ranger.

3000# 4 gpm is your pretty typical 13 horse power portable jetter.

the nozzle was able to slide under the horizontal 1/2'' dowel. once past the dowel, it was pulled back to within a few inches and allowed to cut.

the oscillating blast of hight pressure water easily cut through the dowel when properly positioned.

remember we had clear pipe and view of the dowel.

but also keep in mind these were hard dried pieces of 1/2'' wooden dowels.

typical roots stoppages in waste lines are soft fibrous living plant tissue. much easier to cut than 1/2'' dowels.

so overall, my review is 4 thumbs up out of 5.

it has tremendous power for a jetter of this size. more than even the warthog.

only drawback is the nozzle can't cut forward, but should be able to mussel it's way into a stoppage and allow the rear jet to blast.

also the physical size doesn't allow for use in 3'' lines with turns. 4'' is fine in medium sweep waste fittings.

sorry i don't have a photo of the root ranger in action as i was like a kid in a candy store and didn't stop to take one.

i know there were plenty of photos taken both by members and the pro video staff.

please post some here so we can share our experience with the non attendees

i will be buying 1 or 2 for my machines.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Root Ranger Review

I wonder did Rigid mention anything about the changes and updates that Root Ranger mentioned in a prior thread that the Aussie guys are getting?
    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I finally got to use my root ranger in the real world.

6" clay main.
      Very heavy roots from 70' -91'.
      Camera could not pass 91' mark.
      Main scheduled for dig up when school closes
      Sent RR in with 8" extension and 1/4" hose (callls for 3/8").
      Passed 91' mark without much problem but didn't get many roots out.
      Took off 8" extension and out came the roots.
      Filled up a Wal-Mart bag with em.
      Turns out the extension limited my ability to twist/flop head in order to direct jet. It also had a leak.
      I'll be ordering 3/8" hose and I think this will improve performance and ability to twist/flop. (NOTE TO SELF: Don't leave 3/8 jetter hose full of water and store in unheated shed in winter)

Not much info but these guys sell a front jet conversion. Click "larger image" once on their page. Wonder if this is Ridgid conversion?
      http://www.thejettersedge.com.au/com...art/Itemid,45/
      Last edited by Gene Bickford; 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM. Reason: spelling
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

The Bandit nozzle below that add looked pretty mean also. Anybody from Ozzy land try one?
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

the nozzle was able to slide under the horizontal 1/2'' dowel. once past the dowel, it was pulled back to within a few inches and allowed to cut.

Remember, we were trying, it would not slide under the dowel, we had to remove the dowel, slid it by, and then blast it to bit's

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
            Remember, we were trying, it would not slide under the dowel, we had to remove the dowel, slid it by, and then blast it to bit's
            Come on Zeljka we all know you stayed home to babysit the puppies and missed the demo.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              Come on Zeljka we all know you stayed home to babysit the puppies and missed the demo.

Mark
              i think it is Robert posting just like she does on his computer
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I finally got to use my root ranger in the real world.

6" clay main.
                Very heavy roots from 70' -91'.
                Camera could not pass 91' mark.
                Main scheduled for dig up when school closes
                Sent RR in with 8" extension and 1/4" hose (callls for 3/8").
                Passed 91' mark without much problem but didn't get many roots out.
                Took off 8" extension and out came the roots.
                Filled up a Wal-Mart bag with em.
                Turns out the extension limited my ability to twist/flop head in order to direct jet. It also had a leak.
                I'll be ordering 3/8" hose and I think this will improve performance and ability to twist/flop. (NOTE TO SELF: Don't leave 3/8 jetter hose full of water and store in unheated shed in winter)

Not much info but these guys sell a front jet conversion. Click "larger image" once on their page. Wonder if this is Ridgid conversion?
                http://www.thejettersedge.com.au/com...art/Itemid,45/
                need pictures, lots of pictures
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  i think it is Robert posting just like she does on his computer
                  I know.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                    the dowel was perfectly centered and easily slid under the fixed dowel. i know i did it and the video or stills should show it.

the original set up was past it. i started in front of the dowel and easily passed it and cut it.

the nozzle is flatter on the 2 opposing sides.

remember 1/2'' dowels were used to demo the cutting power, not an actual stoppage we encounter.

just like the k-1500 board buster contest. 3/4'' thick pine boards are not stopping up our sewers. and neither is 1/2'' sound board.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the dowel was perfectly centered and easily slid under the fixed dowel. i know i did it and the video or stills should show it.

the original set up was past it. i started in front of the dowel and easily passed it and cut it.

the nozzle is flatter on the 2 opposing sides.

remember 1/2'' dowels were used to demo the cutting power, not an actual stoppage we encounter.

just like the k-1500 board buster contest. 3/4'' thick pine boards are not stopping up our sewers. and neither is 1/2'' sound board.

rick.
                      I may be wrong but I thought the dowel was moved for you to get past it.

Mark

Comment

rick.
                        but when I start crapping out wood and fiber board I know which machine I'm using

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          but when I start crapping out wood and fiber board I know which machine I'm using

Comment

A good example of the rootranger`s power to clean & polish sewer drains infested by tree roots .

Comment

Before

After

Comment

Working...
                              X