What The Heck Happend Here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What The Heck Happend Here

Bill and I were back out to a job today that we did yesterday. We had the drains flowing fine when we left (soft blockage) ran water for 10 min flushed toilets a number of times you get the point. Get a call that it backed up again this morning. The house was built in the 60's and had no clean out that we could find so we pulled a toilet (same as the one we went through the day before) ran the snake only to find today that it would not go anywhere but up the vent stack (closet bend must come off a vertical sanitary Tee) tried a couple different times and every time up she went. I looked at the roof like I here other members frequently talk about (not to mention any names Rick) but I am a ground guy and not much into heights so we pulled a different toilet and ran the funnel auger down, got in about 10' and I felt a little bind then it stopped, I pushed a little harder and it started going again but it felt weird so I was hesitant to push it in any further so I pulled it out. This is when I wish we had a camera so we could see what caused this to happen. We know now why a camera is a asset to a company, it is driving me crazy not knowing what caused this to happen.
    ________
    Svt Contour
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 04:05 PM.
    Mike

Re: What The Heck Happend Here

Call in a drain-cleaner with a camera. Something's going on and a camera is needed to find out what. I don't do much drain-cleaning yet, so I don't have a camera yet either, but on the rare occasion I need one I'll call a local reliable company in to video the job and get the price OK'd by the customer.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

my home here in florida has cast iron drains till you get outside the slab, then it went to some kinda of tarpaper cardboard pipe(can't remember what it is called) that clapesed on it's self. water would flow very very slow, then i havd it snaked all was fine for a day or two then right back to the same thing again. once i knew what the problem was i had the yard dug up and had the replaced with pvc, that was 2 years ago(about) and i have had no problems since.

and yes i had the line camered first to make sure that was the problem.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Looks to me as if it caught on something - could have been a crack in the pipe or even a gap at a fitting - and it started uncoiling. Then it doubled over on itself and sent several wraps through one of the coils as it unwound. It certainly is unusual, and amazing to me that it didn't kink or break.

Comment

Something is directing you up that vent, probably the same something that caught your bit. Possibly a object, possibly a broken/collapsed line. Without a camera available, I'd try again with a less flexy bit, possibly with a bent leader on your cable. Also I'd be thinking about other options to get access to the problem area, which is likely right at the bottom of the vent. How many bends from the toilet? mirror and flashlight an option? Could you look down the vent with a mirror on a sunny day? Get to it from basement or crawlspace? dig? Go up from exterior cleanout? Rent a camera? Call in someone with one? close enough to any access you might do some good with a micro? just a bunch of ideas to get you thinking....good luck
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
            Something is directing you up that vent, probably the same something that caught your bit. Possibly a object, possibly a broken/collapsed line. Without a camera available, I'd try again with a less flexy bit, possibly with a bent leader on your cable. Also I'd be thinking about other options to get access to the problem area, which is likely right at the bottom of the vent. How many bends from the toilet? mirror and flashlight an option? Could you look down the vent with a mirror on a sunny day? Get to it from basement or crawlspace? dig? Go up from exterior cleanout? Rent a camera? Call in someone with one? close enough to any access you might do some good with a micro? just a bunch of ideas to get you thinking....good luck
            Slab house, remodeled 10 years ago so if any cleanout were in the house they are now under tile floor (90% of the house is tiled) old septic tank with no exterior cleanout and with no way of snaking up to house from it, Bill was able to get through the one toilet the other day I just had no luck or patience so I moved to the one closer to the septic which was the master bath toilet. I just cant see how it would come back on its self in a 4" line like it did? I thought even back in the 60's they had to use directional fittings?
            ________
            COLORADO DISPENSARY
            Mike

Comment

Slab houses usually have the side sewer pretty shallow as it exits the house.
              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

LOCATE AND DIG UP SEPTIC TANK

AT THE INLET YOU CAN RUN BACK UP THE DRAIN LINE MAYBE????
                PULL OUT WHATEVER IS CLOGGING THE DRAIN

OR YOU NEED A CAMERA LOCATER AND GET OUT THE JACKHAMMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS ?
                JERRYMAC
                E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

mike, i never use the large funnel auger for a stoppage. only as a retriever.

you also can attempt to run the machine in reverse until you get the head down the tee. the open hook can and will grab on a fitting in a bend. running in reverse will allow it to skip.

my cutter of choice is either the 4 blade cutter #t-113 or the spiral sawtooth #t-111.

not sure about your roof access, but if i have a 3''or 4'' vent, i'm all over it on a decent roof. much faster and simpler than a toilet pull.

also a micro might help in directing the cable down the tee?

don't let me down mike.

team geritol mike , bill and rick

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

You can also go down the roof vent with the pvc pipe extention posted by all clear. Do a search of his posts, skip the complaining and you'll find the pic. Works very well I might add.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                      You can also go down the roof vent with the pvc pipe extention posted by all clear. Do a search of his posts, skip the complaining and you'll find the pic. Works very well I might add.
                      ben, if he was to go on the roof to attach all the pipe and fittings, why not just haul the 29# machine up there? with the 43# of 75' of 7/8'' cable and cage?

sure beats the extra cable needed, loss of feel, torque and all the asst. pipe and fittings to assembly the maze.

yes i used to do this with a better, faster system when i had no choice hauling a 150# machine and 122# cable.

mike doesn't want to climb roofs. if he did, he would be topcat

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        mike, i never use the large funnel auger for a stoppage. only as a retriever.

you also can attempt to run the machine in reverse until you get the head down the tee. the open hook can and will grab on a fitting in a bend. running in reverse will allow it to skip.

my cutter of choice is either the 4 blade cutter #t-113 or the spiral sawtooth #t-111.

not sure about your roof access, but if i have a 3''or 4'' vent, i'm all over it on a decent roof. much faster and simpler than a toilet pull.

also a micro might help in directing the cable down the tee?

don't let me down mike.

team geritol mike , bill and rick

rick.
                        Thanks Rick, I will try out the cutters that you recommend. The reason I put the funnel auger down first in a sewer clean is that I like to pull out what is blocking the sewer so I know what I am up against whether it be roots or paper. Thanks again for the info.
                        ________
                        Extreme q vaporizer
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Thanks for the advice Ben, I will let Bill try this way out
                          ________
                          Ford parklane picture
                          Mike

Comment

ben, if he was to go on the roof to attach all the pipe and fittings, why not just haul the 29# machine up there? with the 43# of 75' of 7/8'' cable and cage?
                            The pipe doesn't take any extra work. Some roofs are so steep I've had to use this before, no way you could climb up there. I do agree with you on the loss of feel but you'll still know what you're doing in there. Topcat-that's like a negative 5 in the joke department.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

sure beats the extra cable needed, loss of feel, torque and all the asst. pipe and fittings to assembly the maze.

rick.
                              Rick I have a hard time believing that even you are that slow at pipe and fittings....?

I mean yes, you use one of the slowest machines for main lines but there`s only one way I can think of sticking a pipe and a fitting together.

As far as loss of feel and torque you couldn't be more wrong. Feel is one of our senses just like hearing. If you can Hear you have Feel of what your machine is doing.

As far as torque there is no loss and I don't know where you come up with that one?????

BTW all, I was thinking about all the crying about how the K-7500 won the event... Anyone ever use a Machine before self-feeders??? I started on a drum (basket) machine back in the early 80`s that didn't have self-feed and that`s how you fed the cable down the line.
                              I see nothing unfair about the way the event was won.
                              Don't bring a knife to a gun fight
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X