Best jetter pumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best jetter pumps

What's the best brand of pump? Any to stay from? Does this really matter with a cart jetter?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Best jetter pumps

I think Giant pumps are the best.

They are located in Toledo Ohio.

This is the type of pump that I have on my big trailer jetter.

http://www.giantpumps.com/pumpspages/pumps.htm

I took a 3 day class at their factory about pump repairs, pressures, flows and how the pumps are made.

Great staff there! The owners name is Ed Simon. He is very personable and knows the jetter business very well. Their customer service is second to none.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      What's the best brand of pump? Any to stay from? Does this really matter with a cart jetter?
      Looks like you're getting ready to build one Ben.

Comment

so far so good. i have general/ interpump, cat and ar pumps.

get a belt driven or gear reduced drive.

these turn slower rpms and last longer.

the belt drive tends to run cooler as the pump is not bolted to the engine.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Rick mentioned belt driven, any other features on a pump that are important? What about the motor? Maybe I should of renamed this thread to be- "What would be your ideal pump and engine combination for a jetter 5-8gpm@3000 psi?"

Maybe I'm a wouss but I noticed that most of these jetters weigh 175 lbs+ and I assume most of us work in vans. How do you load/unload your jetter without a crane(beat you to the punch Rick) or loading ramp?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Motor wise I like the Honda's another big name is Koler but they have carberator troubles. Cat pumps have 9 lives and are great but they cost more and the general and a/r pumps have actually cought up to them these days.
            As for weight if you go direct drive vs. belt that saves weight but direct drives wear out the key ways eventually and with belt you just change the belts a pretty staight forward job. Pump size 4 gpm is common and cheaper 5gpm is rare (I have one and tips don't seem optimized for this size anyway,)
            8gpm pump and 10 gpm pumps cost the same. Anything over 5gpm usually needs a water tank because of house water supply. With the success of the Root Ranger as a root killing tip, cost, weight, amount of use there are a lot of cheap great 13hp honda 4 gpm machines available for around $800. One note on Honda engines I mean the red and white overhead cam commercial motors not the new Honda el cheapos you see all over the place. The Honda GX390 is the one to get. Oh yea and if you can afford it you want gear reduction to reduce the rpms the pump makes vs. the motor. Most cheaper washers have direct drive (pump mounted right to engine) not to be confused with a aluminum gear housing between the motor and pump which has gears and is actually gear reduced.
            As for loading I use a ramp into my van or truck on the smaller P.W. and just leave it in there and run line into the house.
            Last edited by Cuda; 06-15-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: left out something
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Your biggest consideration is what flow you want to run. more is better, but as cuda says, more than 6 and you will need a tank as a hose bib can't keep up.... you can throttle down/back off unloader if needed with a bigger pump, and sill have the capacity when you have enough supply to feed it.

Jetter stays in the back of the van, pull hose to where you need it.

For me, space is a big consideration. For that reason, I have stayed with 5-6 gpm to avoid taking up room in the van for the tank. Also, a tank of any size will slosh and try to pull the van around if you drive with water in it.

I have general and ar pumps, little trouble with either. Belt drives on the general pumps, as direct drive was not avail in a 5-6gpm at the time I built those. Latest one uses a dirct drive ar pump...think it 5.5 or 6 gpm. I like the direct drive as it saves space, complication, and expense. I'm not sure I buy the durability argument, but even if I do, at ~$500 for a pump, I don't care if I smoke one every few years because I'm turning it faster than with a belt drive.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
              X