how do you charge on a non clear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you charge on a non clear

If you go to a property and you can not clear and you know that it is old galv, or a broken pipe how do you charge?

same price as if you did clear ?

service call ?

not sure what to charge .

Re: how do you charge on a non clear

I tell them customer when I start that there is always that possibility beyond my control. I offer to replace the drain in question if I cannot open it, and if they decline to have it replaced, I usually charge full-price for the cleaning service.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      I tell them customer when I start that there is always that possibility beyond my control. I offer to replace the drain in question if I cannot open it, and if they decline to have it replaced, I usually charge full-price for the cleaning service.

Perfect
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        Same here
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

ditto

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

what can i say service guy said it all.

Comment

Big 10 - 4

I do the same as well.
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

thanks , that helps alot sometimes felt bad about charging if I did not clear but you pros are right ,thanks again
                Last edited by coldbluff; 06-17-2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

You just cant spend your money on someone elses problem. No One goes to works for free, so why should you?
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Here's a job I started friday (reluctantly) and came back to it today:

Kitchen sink clog....was clogged 6 months earlier......idiot took too large a cable and went right through the san-tee.

Put a wye back in.....knowing it was the config of a S-trap *I agree with this design from a drain cleaner's point of view, entirely.....no guessing if it went up the vent*

I was called friday to clear it......took 2 passes with my spartan 81 with a 35' 1/4" open hook, nothing.

Pulled the cable out and ran 50'......no effect whatsoever. Made 3 passes with it and said NO MO!

I knew exactly what the problem was.......1.5" ran from the back of the house to the front....not enough bracing on the line and there's a belly in it.

Told the customer that I don't have to see what's in the ceiling because I already know the situation...well. Told him that you have two options; keep letting me try to get it open by a cable.....or take the proactive approach and let me replace that line to a 2".......properly supported all the way down that line.

Guy was impressed with my forethought; he took it to the wall into the bathroom.....said there was nothing wrong.....looked like the pipe was pitching properly. I told him to take the ceiling down in the bathroom......I promise the cost of drywall repairs that pipe is riding uphill to the 90.......

I was dead on the money, 90 was 2.5" higher than the belly. Talk about brownie points!

Get my welder to help me with the trick of drilling a hole in the lowest spot, removing all the disposal chewings and the gallons of liquid plumber.

I told my welder when it was hitting the huge stainless steel pot.....that it sounded like me after eating chinese food the next morning.......and he puked! LMAO!! The smell of the drain waste was so close to puke it wasn't funny, having me create a visual along with the sound of someone having "loose bowels" took him over the edge. I was loving every minute of it as I egged it on......told him, "I guess I shouldn't mention that egg mcmuffin that had maggots in it when I threw it at my plumber's helper on a job site one day. He was cussing me now...hating it.

So anyway, after the drano stopped running out I had the customer turn the faucet on and run it clear.....to make it safe when I cut the pipe loose.

For how nasty the job was.....it was surprisingly clean due to the fact I've been down this road too many times to know the outcome when you throw a sawzall to a pipe and cut it......watch gallons of waste and drain cleaner cover a wall or carpet or anything you didn't want dirty.

Increased to 2", and had to rework one tee that reduced to 1.5" and from there I put 8 j-hooks on 16' of pipe. No way there'll be a problem now.

Charged $668 for roughly 6 hours, pipe and fittings were less than $30.

I charged hazard pay, my welder's time *1.5 hours* and the cable I had to immediately clean from the chemicals in the drain.

The pipe I pulled out of this house was heavy......walls lined with waste about a 1/2 to 3/4" thick. Told the customer that they better start using enzymes to clean the drain because I can vouch for the new pipe only....not the existing two points of connection I made where the piping is scaled badly on both.

PVC pipe not supported properly and this is what you get......this one falls to shoddy/improper workmanship completely......along with a retarded 4' interval requirement on PVC here in Kentucky. This piping only had one legit support over the entire length......didn't have a chance of lasting.

Jetting would of been the only "real" effective drain cleaning.....and it would of probably bought years instead of months......but realistically?

Replacement of the piping was the best choice.....knowing the huge belly in the pipe never will change....and is an incorrect piping schematic.

I'm getting too old to be messing with this nasty stuff....really am.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                    X