X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best cable for K-39AF

The cable that came with my K-39AF was a 25' length of cheap 1/4" cable that easily got kinked and ruined within a few uses.
    So, about 6 months ago I ordered a replacement cable for my K-39.
    I chose the C-23IC cable because:
    • its 35' long (more reach)
    • its 5/16" innercore (more durable)
    • its VERY flexible which makes it ideal for passing tight turns
    • and of course I got the drop-head version which I like much better

So far this cable has been the best I have ever used for small drains. Today I was being a bit over-aggressive with the auto-feed on a 1.5" galvanized drain and the cable flipped on itself inside the drum. I thought for sure the cable was broken or at least kinked inside the drum. I took it outside and disassembled the drum and straightened out the cable, to my surprise the cable wasn't even kinked!!! I simply un-looped the cable, fed it back in the drum, re-assembled the drum and finished cleaning the drain easily. I didn't even have to unkink the cable at all. It is that durable and flexible! I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-19-2008, 05:38 PM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: best cable for K-39AF

C-2 5/16" IC cable
    Last edited by Service Guy; 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Awesome! I need to get that cable with the drop head on it for those galvanized tees in the wall.

I believe I have the 5/16" inner core cable and it's working great so far.

Did you have the gun going at full speed? For some reason, I usually only run it at 1/3 speed or 1/2 speed, unless I know I'm on a long run of pipe which I'll kick it up to full speed. It's got a powerful kick to it
      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

about 1/2 speed

Comment

On my top snake I run around 1/4 to 1/2 most of the time.
          My master plumber gave me a bunch of cable yesterday for my top snake, I cant wait to try it out
          http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I use the k40 innercore speed bump cable on my k39af. Works very well. Maybe I should stock up on this cable before ridgid changes it like they did the 3/4". I've disliked the down head and prefer to bend my cable directly behind the bulb. Goes through traps and cleans much better than a straight head.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

mine came with 5/16'' inner core with bulb head.

very good cable.

i always remove my cable from the drain guns and shake them dry.

every so often i will remove the drum and clean and dry.

drop heads tend to break off when stuck.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

All the time when I had the stock 25' cable in my AF I would end up being a foot or two shy of what I needed so I bought the 35' but with the drop head, well it doesn't manufer as well as the bulb head in galvanized pipe but it has the longer reach. Now I have both cables the bulb head that loves to cruise thru everything and the drop head which gets caught up but longer length and between the two I get a lot of clogs freed. I aslo have a general top snake with 44' in it that helps out but is heavy under a sink. The AF ridgid doesn't auto feed all it's cable anyway I think like it stops at 22' or so stock.
                Last edited by Cuda; 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i always remove my cable from the drain guns and shake them dry.

every so often i will remove the drum and clean and dry.
                  I knew I forgot something
                  YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

I have the K39 without the auto feed and after using it twice I have refused to use it again because it does not have it. I considered buying the auto feed but havent yet and have since been looking at the speedway 200 series as a replacement to the k39. To anyone, service guy, who has the autofeed on the k39 do you have any complaints about the machine with AF? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post
                      I have the K39 without the auto feed and after using it twice I have refused to use it again because it does not have it. I considered buying the auto feed but havent yet and have since been looking at the speedway 200 series as a replacement to the k39. To anyone, service guy, who has the autofeed on the k39 do you have any complaints about the machine with AF? Thanks
                      I guess I don't understand your post. Are you saying you refuse to use your K-39 because it lacks auto-feed?

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by 1HandyHandyman View Post
                        No, I like it. Best top snake I ever used.

Comment

Great, I havent made a post in weeks and when I finally do I sound like a girl. Yes, I don't use it because it has no auto feed. It's a pain in the A** to me without it. It's like a heavy off balance drill. I hold it upside down while feeding the cable out. I am a toolaholic. Iif I think there is a better tool that will do as good a job as what I currently use and get me out faster I'm buying one. That's where the speedway 200 idea came from.

Comment

I wouldn't buy the speedway. Ridgid's just much better quality. Look at the new K40. I have the old one but the new one with the k39auto feed looks great. The torque on the wrist when using the k39af is a problem for me too but I figured out a way around that and I think I like the 39 better now.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks Gear Junkie. I havent looked at Ridgids smaller machines in a while. when you said look at the k40 I thought you meant the auto feed machine I see at HD. The K40 is pretty much what I had in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X